2nd chance on a buck bed hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

2nd chance on a buck bed hunt?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 am

How often do you get a 2nd chance on a buck bed hunt/Beast style hunt on one particular bed?

My situation that leads me to asking this is that I have a bed picked on public thats in marsh I plan to hunt early season this fall. I have two trees picked out one at about 70 yards from the bed and the other about 120 yards from the bed. Im hesitant to sit on the 70 yard tree thinking I could make too much noise in the marsh but it is closer. I was wondering If I could get away with sitting in the 120 yard tree first then if it doesnt happen move in to the 70 yard tree. I would be leaving scent obviously on the first hunt but I dont know if it would be enough to alter his routine. Any thoughts?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2nd chance on a buck bed hunt?

Unread postby dan » Sun May 05, 2013 2:16 am

I think both set ups will tip off the deer he is being hunted and have additional hunts tainted. When I see a buck but have no shot, I have about a 1 out of ten chance the next day based on past experiences. 9 out of 10 times the buck figures out I was there... However, closer to the bed generally gets the job done the 1st time.
My suggestion is to go for it the 1st time in. In my opinion the aggressive moves are the ones that kill the big bucks.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 am

dan wrote:I think both set ups will tip off the deer he is being hunted and have additional hunts tainted. When I see a buck but have no shot, I have about a 1 out of ten chance the next day based on past experiences. 9 out of 10 times the buck figures out I was there... However, closer to the bed generally gets the job done the 1st time.
My suggestion is to go for it the 1st time in. In my opinion the aggressive moves are the ones that kill the big bucks.

Ok...In my hunting experiences I have also noticed that aggresive moves kill the bucks.

When you say 9 out of 10 times the buck doesnt come back are you refering to just mature bucks like 4.5 yrs old+. I would be willing to kill a 3.5 yr old on public land maybe the odds would be better?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
dan wrote:I think both set ups will tip off the deer he is being hunted and have additional hunts tainted. When I see a buck but have no shot, I have about a 1 out of ten chance the next day based on past experiences. 9 out of 10 times the buck figures out I was there... However, closer to the bed generally gets the job done the 1st time.

Ok...In my hunting experiences I have also noticed that aggresive moves kill the bucks.

When you say 9 out of 10 times the buck doesnt come back are you refering to just mature bucks like 4.5 yrs old+. I would be willing to kill a 3.5 yr old on public land maybe the odds would be better?

Actually, in my experience you seem to get more second chances with older bucks...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 am

dan wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:

Actually, in my experience you seem to get more second chances with older bucks...

Why is that? Do you think that is because they tend to be more of a homebody and stick to their core area?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am

Why is that? Do you think that is because they tend to be more of a homebody and stick to their core area?

If I were to guess, I would say its probably due to younger bucks getting kicked around a lot. Big bucks bed where ever they want, and often bed in the same spots over and over. Little bucks tend to get bullied out of there bedding areas by more dominant bucks and are used to bedding in new areas often.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”