Marsh wind in his face/Woods wind at his back ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Marsh wind in his face/Woods wind at his back ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:00 pm

If that a fair conclusion or is it not that cut and dried ?
Marsh deer are usually useing a barrier of some sort behind them right ? And useing scent and limited vision in front of them ? Or is there a gray area there also ?
Some beds i find seem so obvious that he's facing the wind and others trip me up.Will the degree of the barrier determine that too? Or sometimes is,nt there some barriers that don,t offer total securement to the deer .I,ve found some beds That the deer was kinda quartering his back to a smaller area of cattails.Seems like a lot of these are in smaller areas with only small pockets of cattails and water.
This particular bed keeps tripping me up there is a large expanse of cattails in front of bed and a smaller pocket behind bed.Mabey this is a multiwind bed.
This is the bed with the smaller pocket of cattails behind bed
This is the large expanse in front of bed.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Marsh wind in his face/Woods wind at his back ?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Swampthing wrote:If that a fair conclusion or is it not that cut and dried ?

Definitely not cut and dried, IMO. The best we can do is plan on general tendencies while staying away from thoughts of "Always" and "everytime".
Swampthing wrote:Marsh deer are usually useing a barrier of some sort behind them right ? And useing scent and limited vision in front of them ? Or is there a gray area there also ?

I see marsh and swamp bucks use barriers quite a bit, but certainly not always. Barriers do not have to be types of terrain, either- sometimes a buck will bed to take advantage of other deer, using them as an "alarm system" for example.
Swampthing wrote:Will the degree of the barrier determine that too? Or sometimes is,nt there some barriers that don,t offer total securement to the deer . This particular bed keeps tripping me up there is a large expanse of cattails in front of bed and a smaller pocket behind bed.Mabey this is a multiwind bed.

The buck beds I find don't always offer the buck total security, but there are advantages for him to be there. The bucks like to have multiple escape routes, as well. Determining the bed to be "multiwinded" needs to be determined through scouting and careful hunting. Sounds like you have a lot of good scouting in from this last post season- 8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:31 pm

It,s a lot to take in when you decide to get serious about it.Hopefully in a few years I,ll be laughing about the silly questions I us e to ask on the forum.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:33 am

The only silly question is the one that isn't asked. The way you are putting your time in scouting, in a few years I'll be asking your opinion on everything. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:25 am

Bridge is right on with his answers... 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”