Are trail cameras helping or hurting you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Are trail cameras helping or hurting you?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 am

8-)
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed May 01, 2013 1:26 am

I thought the aerial photo really made the point of the article clear. That was a great example. Another awesome write up. Short and to the point. Why do I have hunting mag subscriptions again? LOL

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 am

Was this the setup you used to kill that buck out of a swaying cedar tree in Iowa on one of Andrea's properties?
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 01, 2013 1:48 am

Great article. I think you have to ask yourself, what do the cameras do for me? If you are hunting 25 acres and have 2 cameras running, checking them every 3 days, I doubt you will benefit from them. Then again I doubt that hunter is a serious big buck killer.
Now if a guy has 1000 acres 4 cameras running checking them once a month. This guy could very well benefit from trail cameras.

Trail cameras aren't going to hang bucks on the wall. They may help you understand what is on your property though. Good hunters make good trail camera operators in most situations. Another thing if you live a few hrs away from your hunting property you can scout 24/7 without being there. I think when used properly trail cameras can be a great tool. When used improperly trail cameras can be a detriment.

The new E cameras could change everything for the guy that has 25 acres and wants to check his cameras often. We are in the electronic age. You can stick with a rotary dial phone or switch to the new smart phones. I'm reluctant but do have a smart phone.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 am

Aside from the pollution by checking them, they have definitely hurt my mindset at times. I've spent too many seasons focusing on a single buck because of trail camera footage.

Still a valuable tool. I'll always use them and plan to explore the remote camera capabilities in the future.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 01, 2013 3:06 am

jakedeaver wrote:Was this the setup you used to kill that buck out of a swaying cedar tree in Iowa on one of Andrea's properties?

No... But that show is up on the H/B TV right now and goes hand in hand with this article.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed May 01, 2013 5:30 am

Another great article, I'm in the process of rethinking the way I use trail cameras, actually this site has me rethinking pretty much everything about hunting. I find even not checking trail cameras often deer treat the area like a tree stand, just change their travel route 50-100 yards to avoid the area. I check my cameras every 2-4 weeks and I still see this change in movement, this year I'll be placing them very differently.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed May 01, 2013 5:44 am

Good read, I dont use them anymore. But when I did, I miss used them and wondered why I never got pics of big bucks or killed them.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 am

Great article, perfect timing to go along with the wireless cam test you are conducting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 am

Great Article Dan!

Stanley wrote:Great article. I think you have to ask yourself, what do the cameras do for me? If you are hunting 25 acres and have 2 cameras running, checking them every 3 days, I doubt you will benefit from them. Then again I doubt that hunter is a serious big buck killer.
Now if a guy has 1000 acres 4 cameras running checking them once a month. This guy could very well benefit from trail cameras.

Trail cameras aren't going to hang bucks on the wall. They may help you understand what is on your property though. Good hunters make good trail camera operators in most situations. Another thing if you live a few hrs away from your hunting property you can scout 24/7 without being there. I think when used properly trail cameras can be a great tool. When used improperly trail cameras can be a detriment.

The new E cameras could change everything for the guy that has 25 acres and wants to check his cameras often. We are in the electronic age. You can stick with a rotary dial phone or switch to the new smart phones. I'm reluctant but do have a smart phone.

Stanley, couldn't agree more with everything you said above. I live hours away from where I hunt and Trail Cameras really help me understand what deer are on the land since I can't be out there scouting every weekend. The good thing is since I live so far away, camera sometimes go three months without being checked. You have to be patient with cameras and hold back and not check them and when you do, check them with the right wind or in a light rain. We also put most camera on the ag fields in order not to be walking onto deer trails. We do leave a near funnel but RARELY check them and when we do, we will take the daytime pics and crosscheck them with the wind that day to see if we can figure out what wind we had when the bucks are moving. Some say it might be a little much but when you live so far from where you hunt you have to do a little more "Computer" scouting than on foot scouting.

I can't wait to hear how Dan's new email trail camera goes. That could really make things exciting for me knowing I could get a picture of a trophy buck on my phone at any time!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”