Deer bedding near highways

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Deer bedding near highways

Unread postby keb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm

So I had to drive thru southern iowa up I-35, ride actually to get a vehicle. So it's not very green out, I could not believe the number of deer bedded on points, 75 yards from the interstate. I would see the doe groups and the occasional single.

Pretty crafty.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Deer bedding near highways

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:40 pm

On my way down to troll land :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: I have seen alot of deer bedded in the woods median between northbound and southbound I-75.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 pm

So far I've scouted twice this year, and found some of the best bedding sign close to the roads. Im going around tomorrow and see what I can find in another area. First thing Im going to check is the first 150 yards from the highway on certain terrain such as points of spurs, depressions, maybe a ridgeline, wherever. In Marsh Bucks, Dan explains how he found a bed belonging to a big buck close to a road near a parking area, and not to far off a beaten path made by hunters. Im a big fan of checking these type of areas now.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 pm

I have one particular bed I have been watching for many years now where deer bed about 50 yards right off the freeway. Drive past everyday on my way to work and with a west or northwest wind the bed is used on a regular basis. When the leaves are gone or especially if there is snow on the ground are when I can see the best.

The worst part is this is located on private land that I cannot get permission to hunt! :cry:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”