Iowa public advise

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Iowa public advise

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey all, with the Iowa draw fast approaching I am weighing out my options and looking for advise. If I put in to draw this year my hunting would be limited to about three long weekends (2-3 hunting days per time). Since I will most likely be public I am concerned about crowds over the weekend. I'm looking to hit up the NE corner and will be staying in Decorah.

Do you think I'd be better off drawing this year under those circumstances or wait until I can dedicate a solid week to hunting, knowing that may take a few more years to become an option?

My initial thought is to try it out this year and if it doesn't go well I can probably rebuild points until my next time. My deterant is that the tags are pricey and I don't want to show up and have crappy hunts because the land is over run.

Any help is appreciated!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

keb
500 Club

Re: Iowa public advise

Unread postby keb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Have you ever scouted the land?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Nope, would have time to get out once though. Another drawback to going this year.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm

I'd probably lean towards waiting, but Iowa public is definitely not over hunted from what I've seen on Wisconsin public land. A couple of years ago in my local 2000 acre public spot I counted over twenty vehicles at various parking areas on opening archery in the afternoon (Wisconsin).

Contrast that to my brother who hunted a public spot in Iowa (2000 acres) during the prime of the rut and only saw one vehicle.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:45 pm

binney59 wrote:Hey all, with the Iowa draw fast approaching I am weighing out my options and looking for advise. If I put in to draw this year my hunting would be limited to about three long weekends (2-3 hunting days per time). Since I will most likely be public I am concerned about crowds over the weekend. I'm looking to hit up the NE corner and will be staying in Decorah.

Do you think I'd be better off drawing this year under those circumstances or wait until I can dedicate a solid week to hunting, knowing that may take a few more years to become an option?

My initial thought is to try it out this year and if it doesn't go well I can probably rebuild points until my next time. My deterant is that the tags are pricey and I don't want to show up and have crappy hunts because the land is over run.

Any help is appreciated!

I'll be in the same general area this fall if I draw.

binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Have you had a chance to scout much? I know I read an Iowa scouting thread that was good, maybe yours- can't remember.

I'm leaning towards going because even if its not 100% ideal it's still hunting and anything can happen. Worst case scenario is I learn some and eat tag soup. Expensive soup but its doing what I love.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

I've walked about 25 miles in the past 2 off seasons, I'll probably get a few more miles in this spring and summer.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm

I've walked about 25 miles in the past 2 off seasons, I'll probably get a few more miles in this spring and summer.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Sorry about the triple post :lol:

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah, you can't win if you don't play.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 pm

I assume rut time?

binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Yeah, probably first week or two of November and maybe one around opener. I'd guess those are my best odds. The less scouting I get in the more I would lean towards rut. More people in the woods but more daytime movement as well. Friendlier for non-scouted hunts in my opinion.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 pm

Where do you currently live (State)?
nater

Unread postby nater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 am

I wouldn't be afraid to ask private landowners for permission too. I interviewed several farmers in that general area for a work project a few weeks ago and was surprised by the number who complained about deer numbers/said they gave permission to hunters who asked/etc.. Believe me, if I had the time to travel from Indiana, I know where I would be going.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”