base layers .

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Re: base layers .

Unread postby JakeJD » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:45 am

If you are going to get two sets, I would suggest the lightest weight stuff and the heaviest weight stuff. I know they offer 3-4 fabric weights, but the difference is very small and hard to notice between any of the fabrics except the lightest / heaviest.

And, the lightweight stuff is very cool and comfortable during the early season. I like First Lite, which offers camo, for the lightweight stuff and Minus33 which offer nice, inexpensive heavyweight layering options.

"In the deed, the glory"
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 am

I know a lot of guys that hunt out west swear by merino wool. I use underarmour cold gear because I've had it for a long time and have no reason to buy something else when what I have works :D . But if I were to go out and buy a new base layer top/bottom, I'd probably go merino wool.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I know a lot of guys that hunt out west swear by merino wool. I use underarmour cold gear because I've had it for a long time and have no reason to buy something else when what I have works :D . But if I were to go out and buy a new base layer top/bottom, I'd probably go merino wool.

Trust me, you would not be disappointed. Before discovering merino layers, I tried every synthetic out there, including UA cold gear / heat gear, and I was always disappointed with the performance (stinky, uncomfortable, lack of moisture / temperature management, etc.)
"In the deed, the glory"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 am

jakedeaver wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I started using poly pro for base layers, and have since...used Merino wool

I tried all the synthetics before using merino wool. It is the best base layer i have found. No itch, no stink, it handles moisture and regulates body temp better and is just plain more comfortable.

I prefer wool outlayers. A nice unlined wool will get u through most of the season. A wind lined wool suit can handle any winter condition.

The only draw backs to wool that i see are the price and weight, but the performance cannot be matched.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

x2. Merino wool all the way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”