Question about bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Question about bedding

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 am

While scouting a swamp i want to hunt yesterday i was able to find two good beds. Both of which were loaded with hair and there was fresh tracks in and around them. My question is if it is a buck using these beds and he is using them now is it safe to assume they are beds he will be using during the fall? Or shouldnt i waste my time? I dont know if he would be using them year round, or maybe he just returned to the after the winter months. There was several rubs in. The area from last yr so he must have spent sometime there last yr. what are the chances it is doe bedding? Both were single beds with a tree to bis back side looking out into a grassy/cattail area. The beds were probably 75 yds apart and maybe im nuts but the rubline seemed to start at one bed and go straight to the other

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by admiral04 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Question about bedding

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 am

Were the beds wore down to the ground? This time of year current beds are loaded with hair due to shedding of their winter coat. From your description, I would say there is a good chance these are buck beds. If they are wore to the ground they could be primary beds, being used year around. If there is matted down grass and other vegetation, I would guess seasonal or temporary beds.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 am

Just matted grass

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:12 am

Sounds like a temporary bed to me. You will know a primary bed when you see one since it will be wore down pretty good and there will be evidence of old and new hair. If in a secure area most of the primary beds will have been used for many years by multiple bucks or even mature does at times. Figuring out what caliber of deer is using the primary bed is the key but sometimes you don't ever really know until actually hunting it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 am

If there are rubs there, and the beds look like they have been used many times, in a swamp or swamp edge. I would say its a fall bed. They are now starting to return to those beds in the swamp... If there is two beds, far apart, with trees to back, they buck beds.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 am

dan wrote:If there are rubs there, and the beds look like they have been used many times, in a swamp or swamp edge. I would say its a fall bed. They are now starting to return to those beds in the swamp... If there is two beds, far apart, with trees to back, they buck beds.
they are 60-75 yds apart. One facing south and one facing east

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am

Buck beds

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”