Help with this property!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Help with this property!

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm

I just gained access to a chunk of land this past weekend that im really pumped about. It has swamp, crop field and open standing timber. Thought id see what your takes are. Please show where you would expect mature buck bedding and how you would hunt it. Also, give me some advice on how you would set the land up to keep there deer or draw more deer to it. The crop fields are typically corn and soybeans. The parcel is 411 acres to the south of the blue line. Everything around this piece is posted. You can use the coordinates on the topo map if you wish to zoom in. I have only set foot on this land for about 2 hrs so im u familiar with alot.thnx ahead of time. Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Help with this property!

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 pm

The red lines is where I would scout. I see there is a swamp that is bordered by woods. Check that transition line for sign maybe even get muddy and go into the swamp to find some beds.

Spot #1 that I marked are inside corners with a point shooting out in between the two spots I marked there. Could be a good place to set up during the rut catching bucks at the corners.

Spot #2: Almost looks like a small saddle. Even though its small it could easily funnel the deer come rut or any time of year.

Spot #3: On the aerial photo it looks like there is woods that shoots out into the field. I have seen bucks use these types of wooded points to go out into the field. Most likely an early season spot.

Spot #4: This is the transition line from swamp to woods. Dan and others say to start scouting on these transition lines to find the sign. Then set up accordingly. This could be a spot to get one from his bed.

Im not an expert, just wanted to help out. Many others will help you much more than me. 8-)
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Agree with first response above.

Have to say though: Nice lookin' property! :clap:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I don't hunt hills as much as some do but my experience is on the really steep hills like I circled. Hunting more towards the top 1/10 of the hill has been more productive for me that the 1/3 mark. You have to be part goat to navigate on the steep hills like that. If wet and or snow covered it can be almost impossible to navigate. Just my opinion.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

Thnx guys. I did walk the transition line in the short time i had there and was able to locate a bed that i assume was a buck. It was tough to tell which wind he was using it on where exactly he was entering/exiting and it seemed to be more of an area he was usig than one exact spot. I also checked out the saddle and found alot of old rubs so i guess its safe to assume the saddle is being used alot at night?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”