The Mobile Hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: The Mobile Hunter

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 am

Word. Great article.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:53 am

Another great article!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:Another great art icle!

X3

Thanks for posting Haus!

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 pm

I think the only thing a hunter can buy that would make him more successful is a lone wolf and sticks.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm

keb wrote:I think the only thing a hunter can buy that would make him more successful is a lone wolf and sticks.

X2...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
keb wrote:I think the only thing a hunter can buy that would make him more successful is a lone wolf and sticks.

X2...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X3. My first set of sticks are almost 20 years old. Same for my first lone wolf stand. Tough to imagine these years without that equipment.

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 am

Great article Dan.

I see that you're using the Lonewolf hang on Tree stands all the time. I understand you probably have been doing it for years and it works great for you. But I am wondering if you've ever tried using a treesaddle or a guido's web or another sling styled hang on. It seems to me that because of your hunting methods that this would be probably the Ideal set up.

From what I've seen in your videos, you don't always climb that high or in large trees – depending on how far you are from bed and where the buck can see. You also don't seem to be sitting all day (I'm guessing 2-4 for hours in the evenings), which would be alleviate the problem of the slight discomfort after three or four hours in the tree saddle. In a tree saddle you're always hiding behind the tree so your profile is never showing. Also it's extremely light and portable and can climb up trees that are smaller than what you can in the Lonewolf. People are climbing trees That are 5 inches in diameter if the covers okay.

I just picked one up and I've been getting up trees with the method that I found on the web on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDVoQEvQMY

It uses to climbing slings that weigh a total Of about half of 1 pound. So they saddle weighs 2 pounds if you can find the ambush model (you have to get them used now) and the neoprene model weighs somewhere around 5 pounds. So the total weight of your stand and climbing method would be about two and half pounds with the lightest saddle. I would think that would be the most mobile setup.

I tried to fool around with this weekend. I was getting up trees up to 30 feet no problems going around limbs and things. Getting up 10 feet takes about five minutes and you're already ready to hunt. Getting up 20 was about 10 minutes. It's extremely quiet And I'm sure I'm going to get faster as I keep practicing.

Hope this helps someone. This is how ill be hunting this year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 am

I did not try the tree saddle, but I did try the assassin stand and sling style seat. A friend of mine invented it and I helped him with some proto-typing. I don't care for slings much, they seem to get in my way. I know they work really well for some people. Im not nocking them, just don't seem to be my thing.
I can get into any tree that will support my weight with the L/W stands, and I press my back against the tree for cover / to blend in. I don't like having the tree between me and the deer. Trying to get the bow and arrow around to shoot the other side sucks. I like to be able to just slide the bow back at the exact moment I need to, and that seems hampered by the sling.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:40 am

Dhurtubise wrote:Great article Dan.

I see that you're using the Lonewolf hang on Tree stands all the time. I understand you probably have been doing it for years and it works great for you. But I am wondering if you've ever tried using a treesaddle or a guido's web or another sling styled hang on. It seems to me that because of your hunting methods that this would be probably the Ideal set up.

From what I've seen in your videos, you don't always climb that high or in large trees – depending on how far you are from bed and where the buck can see. You also don't seem to be sitting all day (I'm guessing 2-4 for hours in the evenings), which would be alleviate the problem of the slight discomfort after three or four hours in the tree saddle. In a tree saddle you're always hiding behind the tree so your profile is never showing. Also it's extremely light and portable and can climb up trees that are smaller than what you can in the Lonewolf. People are climbing trees That are 5 inches in diameter if the covers okay.

I just picked one up and I've been getting up trees with the method that I found on the web on YouTube.

It uses to climbing slings that weigh a total Of about half of 1 pound. So they saddle weighs 2 pounds if you can find the ambush model (you have to get them used now) and the neoprene model weighs somewhere around 5 pounds. So the total weight of your stand and climbing method would be about two and half pounds with the lightest saddle. I would think that would be the most mobile setup.

I tried to fool around with this weekend. I was getting up trees up to 30 feet no problems going around limbs and things. Getting up 10 feet takes about five minutes and you're already ready to hunt. Getting up 20 was about 10 minutes. It's extremely quiet And I'm sure I'm going to get faster as I keep practicing.

That is what I use a lot. A sling style hunt is certainly not for everyone, some people do not like sitting in them, but I love hunting with a tree saddle.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 am

dan wrote:I did not try the tree saddle, but I did try the assassin stand and sling style seat. A friend of mine invented it and I helped him with some proto-typing. I don't care for slings much, they seem to get in my way. I know they work really well for some people. Im not nocking them, just don't seem to be my thing.
I can get into any tree that will support my weight with the L/W stands, and I press my back against the tree for cover / to blend in. I don't like having the tree between me and the deer. Trying to get the bow and arrow around to shoot the other side sucks. I like to be able to just slide the bow back at the exact moment I need to, and that seems hampered by the sling.

That makes sense. I'm going to have to learn by experience. I have a regular cheap hang on that I will be hanging soon where I want to hunt in late-season over food. I will be able to tell the difference once I'm in there I suppose. But I really like the idea of having two and half pounds in my pouch and knowing I can get up in the tree in 5 to 10 minutes.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 am

Yea if it works for you, the light weight and compactness would be much easier to haul a mile thru a swamp in the dark... Thats for sure.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 am

JoeRE wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:Great article Dan.

That is what I use a lot. A sling style hunt is certainly not for everyone, some people do not like sitting in them, but I love hunting with a tree saddle.

X2 The saddle is what I use 90 percent of the time now. It's so compact and you can wear and carry everything you need in for a day of hunting. I'll never sell my LW's but I'll reach for the saddle on most days.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:49 am

I have 2 Lone Wolfs now and they definitely have their place. I've had a tree saddle for two years, and I think it is personally the greatest thing invented. I can carry it in a pack or wear it in. The thing is so quiet in a tree, and I think very comfortable if you have a good place for your feet. I can get in any tree that will support my weight. I use my sticks to climb, and then a rope and prussic for tying up. It isn't for everyone, my son had one for a season and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. I'm in Waukesha and if anyone wants to try it, let me know. They are hard to find unless you're willing to spend a bundle.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

Use whatever you like and will give you the best possible chance most of the time. I set up knowing most of the time what direction the buck will be coming from. I want my back to the tree so I can use my eyes to move and not my head or shoulders. Stealth is the name of the game for me. I never hear a deer coming I see him first. If I am hearing the buck before I see him that is normally not a good thing for me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”