How i manage my deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: How i manage my deer

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Craaaig wrote:There are places in this country that you can go and be an average hunter and think you are better than you really are because of your ego and be killing some of the biggest bucks in the world, but when you come on this site and start contemplating facts (like buck beds) then that makes you stubborn and wrong. Buck beds are not open for discussion, they do exist, and if you don't believe in them then you are being close minded.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Oh ya and a 163 inch 8 pointer that i dont have pics of and a 174 in 12 and a 160 inch 14. Ok I have tried not to gloat or act like im a better than i am but now Im just bragging

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Outstanding deer! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know a few "Iowa" bowhunters and none of them have a wall of bucks like that. Why? Iowa is supposedly an "easy" state to kill big bucks in. Whatever you are doing IW is clearly working, good job.

I will say that where I hunt (Wisconsin public land), if I stay away from buck beds I rarely see good bucks, especially outside of the rut. If I bed hunt, I've got a chance. It's all about pressure........it sounds like you make your land less pressured than the neighbors, then strike when the time is right, which is a very sound strategy. Bed hunting really isn't much different, you hunt an unhunted/pressured bed..........then strike when the time is right. If you guess wrong, you pick a different bed and repeat. This type of hunting takes LOTS of scouting and really helps if you have multiple properties/areas to hunt. It all comes down to doing whatever it takes (as long as legal) to get a big one on the ground.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh ya and a 163 inch 8 pointer that i dont have pics of and a 174 in 12 and a 160 inch 14. Ok I have tried not to gloat or act like im a better than i am but now Im just bragging[/quote]

Truly impressive bucks.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

That 8 in the last pic is awesome :shock: I love long brows. How long are they?

IW - I don't know if you have spent any time on any other online forums but the Beast is pretty awesome in comparison. Don't be touchy because there is no need to be. Before I found the Beast I though all online forums were about 90% entertainment and 10% information. I think the Beast has those numbers reversed. Stick around, keep an open mind, get to know people here, and share what you know.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Fantastic bucks! :shock:

Also curious about the length of the brow tines.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Nothing like a bunch of big buck pics to silence the critics! :clap:

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Fantastic Deer Iowa Whitetail! :clap:

I have a quick question for you, do you mainly hunt from preset stands or do you constantly move with a climber?

I hunt a few hundred acres and the owner doesn't like me to move around and use my climber a lot so I use a lot of preset stands. I'll have a little more freedom this year to try bed hunting but mostly I only can hunt preset stands that I have put up. If you do hunt preset stands, do you have any secrets to setting them?

I will have my Lone Wolf to move around a bit more this year and going to try to hunt a few beds if I can find them in the next few scouting trips but when my buddy is out there he wants me to stick with preset stands. Its his land so I respect his wishes. I don't have too much of a problem with it though. I'm up to 25 stands out there so I have a good amount to choose from with wind.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Bigb wrote:Fantastic Deer Iowa Whitetail! :clap:

I have a quick question for you, do you mainly hunt from preset stands or do you constantly move with a climber?

I hunt a few hundred acres and the owner doesn't like me to move around and use my climber a lot so I use a lot of preset stands. I'll have a little more freedom this year to try bed hunting but mostly I only can hunt preset stands that I have put up. If you do hunt preset stands, do you have any secrets to setting them?

I will have my Lone Wolf to move around a bit more this year and going to try to hunt a few beds if I can find them in the next few scouting trips but when my buddy is out there he wants me to stick with preset stands. Its his land so I respect his wishes. I don't have too much of a problem with it though. I'm up to 25 stands out there so I have a good amount to choose from with wind.
Thanks first off, I use fixed stands the one thing I will not hunt with is ladder stands I hate them i feel like a turd in a punch bowl with them. With the way I hunt the bucks are chasing the does around so I dont really need to move I guess. I will find a tree that keeps the leaves on the longest like a white oak or maple tree. I get pretty high but just high enough you still comfy i find a fork or something to break myself up. good luck.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:51 pm

I just want to make it clear to everyone Im not hear to change anyones minds about anything to do with hunting. If you read the first sentence i wrote it said (I was asked to write this) so I did. One of the things I believe about hunting these whitetails and being a killer is confidence.If you think bed hunting will work or is working for you than do it cause if you dont believe than it will not work cause you will be moving and looking at your watch and hating that you never see anything. As for the people who think i kill bucks cause I live in iowa, come hear lets see what you got. You might shoot a big old buck but can you do it more than once do you have the skill,the patience to practice good mang. and let him go, to spend every spare chance you get? Maybe you can. Its not about me being touchy its about me being asked to write this so i did and have fought off bed hunters the whole time witch is fine with me i knew it would happen and i have said that if your going to state your opinion you better be ready for whats comeing so the arguing with me didnt bother not one bit I was nice to everyone but
when you attack because you feel your theory is on life support that turns the table a bit. To be honest I was mad and would have never posted all them just cause im not the kind to brag the only reason i ever posted a pic was to try to prove my point. Sorry if i ever was to aggresive. Good luck to all
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:21 pm

[quote="Dewey"]Nothing like a bunch of big buck pics to silence the critics! :clap:

Pictures are absolutely irrelevant to the contemplation of buck beds. DANN showed his pics of his method of killing deer too, those pictures have nothing to do with the fact that buck beds do exist, and if you don't believe that buck beds exist, and if you try to argue this fact then you are wrong. The argument of buck beds not being a fact is just as ridiculous as me trying to tell you there is only 6 days in a week, its just not true, no matter what anyone says or does, there will always be specific areas/beds that bucks use based on food, pressure...ect...

Last edited by Stanley on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Unacceptable to speak rudely about another member.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm not mad either man, I just love the contemplation. Plus my/your emotions get really misinterpreted through the keyboard. I love hunting and hunters, and I totally support all the huge deer you have killed. Good on you man, keep getting after em, that's all that matters I'm the end.

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 pm

And just because we don't agree on the same exact thing every time, doesn't take away from the fact that we are both human and we are both in this struggle on this planet together. Humans are never going to always agree with each other, that's where creativity and thinking on your own come In to place. That's what makes us such an evolved and intelligent species. If we didn't have these arguments then we would never know how other humans are surviving and getting it done.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:45 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:I just want to make it clear to everyone Im not hear to change anyones minds about anything to do with hunting. If you read the first sentence i wrote it said (I was asked to write this) so I did. One of the things I believe about hunting these whitetails and being a killer is confidence.If you think bed hunting will work or is working for you than do it cause if you dont believe than it will not work cause you will be moving and looking at your watch and hating that you never see anything. As for the people who think i kill bucks cause I live in iowa, come hear lets see what you got. You might shoot a big old buck but can you do it more than once do you have the skill,the patience to practice good mang. and let him go, to spend every spare chance you get? Maybe you can. Its not about me being touchy its about me being asked to write this so i did and have fought off bed hunters the whole time witch is fine with me i knew it would happen and i have said that if your going to state your opinion you better be ready for whats comeing so the arguing with me didnt bother not one bit I was nice to everyone but
when you attack because you feel your theory is on life support that turns the table a bit. To be honest I was mad and would have never posted all them just cause im not the kind to brag the only reason i ever posted a pic was to try to prove my point. Sorry if i ever was to aggresive. Good luck to all

I say we quit talking about you not wanting to bed hunt. I think everyone understands now you have no use for bed hunting. Put that to rest. The Beast site is not about beating up the new guy. Lets talk more about how you have killed a buck in past years. I think everyone would enjoy a tutorial put together by you.

You could post an early trail cam picture of the buck you killed and walk us through your procedures & how you hung him on the wall. Visual aids with topos of the land where you killed him and how you planned it, set up on him and killed him. Your scent control regimen, your approach to and from the stand. Encounters with the buck that didn't/did work. Walk us through your style, what you look for, how you do it. Time of day, date of kill, weather conditions, wind direction and thermals, all this stuff leads to a good story.

Most of the guys have done this type of tutorial. This is what the Beast site is about, not all the bickering. I realize it is a big change for some guys that come on this site from other sites that are not very well managed (not pointing a finger at you).

Teaching others what you know and they can learn is why the Beast site is the best hunting site on the planet.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:28 pm

I think the contemplation of buck beds is making this thread what it is, we have a lot of good minds here inputing their experiences and knowledge, we should not censor these great minds because of a disagreement. We need to continue the conversation that we do not agree on, that is what the Internet is all about, people sharing/contemplating ideas. I admit I was rude in my earlier posts, and I will try to voice my opinion in a nicer way. Iowa whitetail, do you believe in the vast majority of hunting land, that maybe, just maybe, it is possible that some bucks use the same areas to bed in, based upon food sources, weather, and pressure?

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:41 pm

How is calling someone ignorant disrespectful? Ignorant means lack of knowledge, there is nothing wrong with being ignorant, if someone called me ignorant, I would be thankful, I would try to drop my ego and look at myself from the outside and ask myself if maybe I am being ignorant? Maybe there is a chance that buck beds do exist? I guess ignorant is taken as a derogatory term here in America, but there is nothing offensive by telling someone they have a lack of knowledge, especially when everyone on this site is willing to help and educate other hunters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”