How i manage my deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: How i manage my deer

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Craaaig,
Private messages are just that..... Private. Check your PM's.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Great bucks I.W. Nothing wrong with showing what you got... Im sure your proud. I would be.
I have some questions...

Are you seeing all / or most of the mature bucks on your trail cameras?
Where do you place your cam's?
How many deer slip thru? Meaning when you have an animal thats a target, what percentage don't you get?
Are you hunting rut funnels? Food? sign?
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Earlier in the year i like beans seems its there fav food to me,later i like corn or an open part of the timb, a pinch point. No you will never kill every target buck impossible but I have found if there is one big buck there is another and also that cam is there 24/7 and if it sees nothing so are you. the perc. well its low cause beetween him not showing someone else getting him by the time you do and a other big buck walking by that you never seen or didnt think was much on cam. I will say that trail cams to me are a ton of fun maybe more than hunting. When I go after the bucks I love hunting fence lines, or a little patch of nothing, that could be a plum thicket,if its rut. Im still after some of the bucks I got on cam 3 years ago.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 pm

"Bed hunting" at least for most of us was developed and used out if necessity due to the pressure in our areas. If IW is fortunate enough to have some decent land to hunt and manage and pass bucks with a realistic chance of making it another year then his tactic is very sound. I can tell by reading is posts he is very passionate, hard working and if he was ever in a situation of extreme pressure he would most likely adapt his tactics to whatever is needed to kill mature deer.
On his one private farm it wouldn't necessarily be the smartest move picking off one bed at a time and burning it out, especially with the controlled pressure, and other family hunting. I wish I had some spots like that where mature deer can be seen in the food sources regularly. I say kudos to you for having a piece of ground, managing the pressure and passing on the bucks until they are mature. There is a ton of hard work and restraint that goes into it. Have you ever thought about traveling to another state IW while you're waiting for your place to heat up? Or maybe some public? Nice bucks by the way!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 am

Outstanding bucks IW, outstanding!!!! In a way I kind of hunt like you (In a way). I've gotten to love hunting the pre rut (3rd week of October). That's usually when I start hunting. I have Idea's and know the area where a mature buck beds but I don't know the exact spot a certain mature buck beds that I'm hunting for. Thus I'll set up on doe trails with In 100 yards of where I "think" the mature buck I'm hunting lives. Problem for me Is I don't often see the caliber of bucks I want to see. More so of a product of the area I hunt. Not often we get anything bigger then a 140 Inch buck running around because nothing gets age with our gun season here In Minnesota always during the peak of the rut. It Is what It Is although It's very frustrating.

Anyhow I know there's bucks that I don't see. I'm pretty sure I see 95% of the bucks that live on the 120 acres of private land I hunt on but I'm sure there's an old fart here and there that evades me every year. These old bucks sure are something. I've gotten much better at hunting these old guys though. The last 3 years I've passed on 3 If not 4 bucks that I know for a fact were between 4 and 6 years old. Problem was they weren't what I was after Inches wise (these were 120 to 130 Inch bucks). Last year I did some thinking and said It's time to re evaluate my mature buck hunting or chances are I'm not going to shoot many bucks here on out being many don't meet my criteria of 130 Inches and up. Funny thing was last year after changing my mind I'm pretty sure I didn't see a buck older then 4 years old here In Minnesota, go figure. lol!! I knew of 2 of them, one was a 6 year old and the other was a 5 year old. The old guys beat me last year. I did have one high 120's 10 point at 15 yards that I passed on because something didn't seem right with the shot. I'm still not sure If he was a 3 or 4 year old. I passed on three 3 year olds last year but the one got shot during gun season. 2 of the 3 made It through so lets hope they made the harsh winter we had and or didn't get hit on the road. Both of these bucks should easily push 140 and up this year. I'm very excited about these 2.

I guess what I'm trying to say here Is I'd love to Incorporate both styles of hunting for myself (bed hunting and the way you hunt). For me knowing the exact area a buck Is bedding would help Improve my chances In a area that doesn't have very many mature bucks over 4 years old. 3 year olds will always get a pass from me unless one Is an absolute pig. The way you hunt I've got that figured out much better then I did 5 to 10 years ago. I love that type of hunting too. Both styles of hunting would be beneficial for me where I hunt.

How old do you think most of your bucks are that you've shot? Last year I hunted Iowa for the 1st time. I hunted public and private. What an adventure that was. I passed on many bucks In the 6 days I was there and went with out. I cannot wait to go back again In 3 years. Good luck this upcoming season.

Great discussion all.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
Stanley wrote:Congrats on the impressive bucks you have killed, Iowa Whitetail. I would say you are doing ok. I also think your approach on how to get them is of great value to the Beast forum. I think the biggest thing you have going is you know your property. I have said this many times, "having a great understanding of the area you hunt is monumental in being successful".

Now think about this, Dan knows the areas he hunts very well. He knows them so well he can pinpoint where a buck beds. I don't think you can know an area better than that. The key to success is knowing the area you hunt like the back of your hand. If I understand you correctly you know where the bucks are bedding maybe not a specific bed but a bedding area.

So isn't the object to get a little more knowledge of your hunting area every time you go out? Now I ask how could you do this? Are you going to walk out in the corn fields looking to improve your knowledge of the property you hunt? I don't think you'll learn much from this. Are you going to check the trails that lead to the corn fields. I would think you could learn a few things from this. Now where does that trail lead from the corn field into the timber? I believe it leads to where the bucks live. Or am I wrong on this?

Now where the bucks live is where they will be on their feet during day light hours. Would this be a good place to look around and learn? I believe this would called your bedding area. So it looks to me like you are hunting where the bucks live. Really no different than anyone else. Just sounds different because you don't hunt the exact bed. Just my insight on this.

First off thanks. I know the land i hunt very very well i live half mile from my farm. As far as walking down a deer path alot of it is hardwood timber so not really beaten paths if that makes since. OK hear is my point on the bucks moving in the bed during daylight hours. Yes during alot of the season thats what happens but during the rut they move all the time at least in thear area. So its not worth me risking going in there not for a second. If you take the time to pin point the doe's at last hour that is ware the bucks will be starting pre rut its pretty simple. Then during late season when it gets cold they are up cause they have to. Make no mistake about i know my land like the back of my hand. If you own your own land just give my idea a wirl it is the same way all of my friends hunt as well I bet you will love the reward.

This is much like Myles Keller's approach. My question for you IW is you know where the does are feeding. Its pre rut and bucks are chomping at the mouth for that first estrous doe. Are you hunting inside the woodlot on a perimeter trail catching these bucks checking trails and watching does???
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:22 am

Stanley wrote:
Lets talk more about how you have killed a buck in past years. I think everyone would enjoy a tutorial put together by you.

You could post an early trail cam picture of the buck you killed and walk us through your procedures & how you hung him on the wall. Visual aids with topos of the land where you killed him and how you planned it, set up on him and killed him. Your scent control regimen, your approach to and from the stand. Encounters with the buck that didn't/did work. Walk us through your style, what you look for, how you do it. Time of day, date of kill, weather conditions, wind direction and thermals, all this stuff leads to a good story.

Most of the guys have done this type of tutorial. This is what the Beast site is about, not all the bickering. I realize it is a big change for some guys that come on this site from other sites that are not very well managed (not pointing a finger at you).

Teaching others what you know and they can learn is why the Beast site is the best hunting site on the planet.

X2 Please. Like a couple others have mentioned I have had very good success picking the big boys off in the very first flurry of rutting activity when they are shadowing doe groups and am curious what you do similar/different.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 am

This is probably one of the best threads i've read in a while. It really incorporates a few styles of hunting. When every other internet hunting forums hits 8 pages it usually has a lot of arguing going on and nothing relevant. Here, 8 pages and I'm learning more and more. Great questions for IW by the last few posters, I'm really anxious to see his answers.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am

iowa whitetail wrote:I just want to make it clear to everyone Im not hear to change anyones minds about anything to do with hunting. If you read the first sentence i wrote it said (I was asked to write this) so I did. One of the things I believe about hunting these whitetails and being a killer is confidence.If you think bed hunting will work or is working for you than do it cause if you dont believe than it will not work cause you will be moving and looking at your watch and hating that you never see anything. As for the people who think i kill bucks cause I live in iowa, come hear lets see what you got. You might shoot a big old buck but can you do it more than once do you have the skill,the patience to practice good mang. and let him go, to spend every spare chance you get? Maybe you can. Its not about me being touchy its about me being asked to write this so i did and have fought off bed hunters the whole time witch is fine with me i knew it would happen and i have said that if your going to state your opinion you better be ready for whats comeing so the arguing with me didnt bother not one bit I was nice to everyone but
when you attack because you feel your theory is on life support that turns the table a bit. To be honest I was mad and would have never posted all them just cause im not the kind to brag the only reason i ever posted a pic was to try to prove my point. Sorry if i ever was to aggresive. Good luck to all

The better ? is can you come to WI pressured public land and kill a 3yr old :P

Again, you are shooting the very top end bucks so I know you are definetly spending the time... but you are living in a totally different environment.

My 2nd question is how many of those are early Jan kills over food w muzzy?

3rd question if you will answer... what county or zone?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 am

iowa whitetail wrote:I just want to make it clear to everyone Im not hear to change anyones minds about anything to do with hunting. If you read the first sentence i wrote it said (I was asked to write this) so I did. One of the things I believe about hunting these whitetails and being a killer is confidence.If you think bed hunting will work or is working for you than do it cause if you dont believe than it will not work cause you will be moving and looking at your watch and hating that you never see anything. As for the people who think i kill bucks cause I live in iowa, come hear lets see what you got. You might shoot a big old buck but can you do it more than once do you have the skill,the patience to practice good mang. and let him go, to spend every spare chance you get? Maybe you can. Its not about me being touchy its about me being asked to write this so i did and have fought off bed hunters the whole time witch is fine with me i knew it would happen and i have said that if your going to state your opinion you better be ready for whats comeing so the arguing with me didnt bother not one bit I was nice to everyone but
when you attack because you feel your theory is on life support that turns the table a bit. To be honest I was mad and would have never posted all them just cause im not the kind to brag the only reason i ever posted a pic was to try to prove my point. Sorry if i ever was to aggresive. Good luck to all

I don't doubt you are a skilled deer hunter and I appreciate you taking the time to post when you were asked to, but if your offering to let someone hunt your property then I would be more than happy to come over and show you what I got. :mrgreen: :lol: J/K
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 am

IW, thanks for posting. I have not been around this week, but just spent about 45 minutes reading the 10 pages of this post! Great topic with minimal bashing that I used to see on other sites. We all hunt differently and should respect that...
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Well I'm new here, and after 30 minutes, I just finished this thread! AWESOME! I understand how bed hunting is a strategy on high pressure lands. Also, I can't blame IW for doing what he does. Down here in Louisiana bottomland agriculture areas, bucks bed in inpenatrable (literally) cutovers. In the swamps, they bed against depression lakes surrounded by water and inpenatrable "buttonwoods," as we call them. Can't wait to watch the marsh hunting DVD to make inferences to our conditions down here.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, just because it's not quite as simple applying beast tactics to their fullest down here (I can apply parts of it), I've certainly learned a lot about the bed hunting Dan popularized, as well as IW's more traditional strategy of rut hunting doe food sources. Fortunately where I hunt, I can apply both styles to a certain degree.

Last edited by Apex on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Apex wrote:Well I'm new here, and after 30 minutes, I just finished this thread! AWESOME! I understand how bed hunting is a strategy on high pressure lands. Also, I can't blame IW for doing what he does. Down here in Louisiana bottomland agriculture areas, bucks bed in inpenatrable (literally) cutovers. In the swamps, they bed against depression lakes surrounded by water and inpenatrable "buttonwoods," as we call them. Can't wait to watch the marsh hunting DVD to make inferences to our conditions down here.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, just because it's not quite as simple applying beast tactics to their fullest down here, I've certainly learned a lot about older buck behaviors Dan popularized, as well as IW's more traditional strategy of rut hunting doe food sources. Fortunately where I hunt, I can apply both styles to a certain degree.

It's all about applying tactics that WORK for the area you are hunting. There are many ways to get the same result. It's nice everyone has different tactics because I think everyone can learn from each other on what may or may not work for their area.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Two years ago, I scouted a local marsh, which is kind of a freak type of habitat in my area. It was NASTY and I didn't figure I would ever go back. Reading the beast has motivated me to give it a second look as I'm pretty confident that some old bucks have figured out that hunters don't want to deal with the swamp.

It is totally different hunting from my normal funnel/travel corridor set. Plus, it's public, which adds another layer to it.

Many approaches to our passion out there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”