Hunting Rivers And River Bottoms/Marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Hunting Rivers And River Bottoms/Marsh

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:40 am

Im looking at public land right now that is a lot of acreage and is mostly River bottoms, River and tributaries with some marsh mixed in. There is agriculture on edges of public land where the elevation is higher.

Im not familiar with this type of territory so where would be a good place to look for beds or funnels in this type of land?

I have hunted it only twice before and know of one good island bed in the marsh but that was a bed from several years ago.

Im hesitant to post an aerial map of the whole area, but if I find what I think could be a really good spot I will zoom in on it. Im just not sure what to look for right now. Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions. 8-) BHBH

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Hunting Rivers And River Bottoms/Marsh

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 am

Is this in big hill country our relatively flat/rolling. I hunt this stuff a lot.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 am

I've spent a lot of time hunting the Wisconsin river bottoms. Marsh tactics apply reasonably good. The bedding can be a little more difficult to decipher at times, but the travel pattern is much more linear do to the natural barrier of a river. The best spots are those only accessible by boat or permission though private land. Oxbow lake islands can be hidden gems and i've found some great buck beds in those locations over the years.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:Is this in big hill country our relatively flat/rolling. I hunt this stuff a lot.

The river bottoms are flat but once they go out to the fields the hills start again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 am

Scout the transition edges of the cattails, swampy areas, and thick lowland brush.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”