A specific bucks weakness

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

A specific bucks weakness

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 pm

For those of you that hunt specific bucks and learn their habits, I want to hear about the particular weakness you have noticed in a specific buck? Lets hear some outside the box thinking ;)

MattyG

Re: A specific bucks weakness

Unread postby MattyG » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 pm

good question i wonder about this myself every deer is different and everyone i would think has a weakness somehow.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I think it all depends on the age of the buck. The older they get the more nocturnal they become. If you have a 4 year old and up they have 2 weaknesses the rut and food. for a bow hunt I would know the area he is in never inter it just hit the outside with your cam and the earliest i would go after him would be halloween.I would prefer to even wait couple days longer than that myself. For a gun I would go the coldest days of the year and hope to hit his food source.I think the most important part is to stay away from him untill then.Trying to put yourself around that bucks home is a bad idea in my opinion they didnt get that age for no reason and if they catch your sent or come across it after you leave good chance they will be gone.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:12 pm

One of my biggest typicals rarely if ever left a certain area... I found sheds from him every year of his life in the same bedding area till I killed him.

Another bedded in the same spot very often... I ended up killing him in that bed...
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I guess my opinion is all it takes is bumping them once and thear gone Ive killed all my bucks staying out of the bedding area. I killed 3 bucks over 150 in 2012 that was 5 years old by staying out and waiting.They was all management bucks they was not going to grow anymore.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:03 pm

G, must be nice to live, hunt Iowa! Here in Michigan, regardless of rut, food etc you would be blessed to see a 3 year old on his feet let alone a 5 year old. Not saying they are not around but the highly pressure deer I hunt require diffrent tactics etc. Dans perspective on deer hunting seems to be more inline with what's neccesary to whack big bucks consistently on my turf.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 pm

If you can find a buck that stays very close to his home core area I think that is a weakness. You can pattern a buck that stays home. You can't pattern a buck that roams a lot. The older bucks that I have killed 5.5 - 6.5 have been home bodies. The bucks that roam around usually don't live that long.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Stanley wrote:If you can find a buck that stays very close to his home core area I think that is a weakness. You can pattern a buck that stays home. You can't pattern a buck that roams a lot. The older bucks that I have killed 5.5 - 6.5 have been home bodies. The bucks that roam around usually don't live that long.

I could agree with that. I killed a buck in almost in the same spot I seen him two months prior in 2010. The neighbor killed a nice mature buck I been after that same year across the road on the neighbor's property where I been seeing him for about 2 years. Back in 2007 we had a buck that would come down to the water tanks for the horses and drink out of it. I only heard about him from my step-dad then but never seen him myself. He wasn't very big. I killed him right away opening morning of gun season that year as he was coming out of the horse pasture.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I agree i am blessed and i know i am but its not like you walk out there and some giant just shows up I practice good management and my father does also I passed two 3 year olds that was close to 160 just cause they was 3 Im just saying food and rut is the weakness i go off of and truly believe in staying away from thear home area till the rut. Good luck to everyone
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Stanley wrote:If you can find a buck that stays very close to his home core area I think that is a weakness. You can pattern a buck that stays home. You can't pattern a buck that roams a lot. The older bucks that I have killed 5.5 - 6.5 have been home bodies. The bucks that roam around usually don't live that long.

So are you saying you passed up these older bucks as 3 and 4 year old homebodies and finally decided to shoot them as 5.5-6.5???Or are you saying they moved into your area as 5.5-6.5 year olds and were homebodies.I would think that being a buck that tends to roam is a bigger weakness as they end up dead as 3.5.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:00 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:I agree i am blessed and i know i am but [glow=red]its not like you walk out there and some giant just shows up[/glow] I practice good management and my father does also I passed two 3 year olds that was close to 160 just cause they was 3 Im just saying food and rut is the weakness i go off of and truly believe in staying away from thear home area till the rut. Good luck to everyone

:lol: i thought there was p&y behind every tree in iowa
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:16 pm

BigHunt wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:I agree i am blessed and i know i am but [glow=red]its not like you walk out there and some giant just shows up[/glow] I practice good management and my father does also I passed two 3 year olds that was close to 160 just cause they was 3 Im just saying food and rut is the weakness i go off of and truly believe in staying away from thear home area till the rut. Good luck to everyone

:lol: i thought there was p&y behind every tree in iowa

There aren't that many trees in Iowa!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:I agree i am blessed and i know i am but its not like you walk out there and some giant just shows up I practice good management and my father does also I passed two 3 year olds that was close to 160 just cause they was 3 Im just saying food and rut is the weakness i go off of and truly believe in staying away from thear home area till the rut. Good luck to everyone

Hunting managed bucks that can grow up regardless of there intelligence or habits is much different than hunting highly pressured bucks like most of us have to deal with...
My friend Andrae has large managed properties in both Illinois and Iowa. I have hunted both his properties. Andrae passes dozens of 150+ deer a year, and even a few booners... But one thing that stands out. When ever a big buck gets to age (around 5 or older ) they do not have the habits of younger bucks coming out and wandering around in daylight.
Andrae (and I) hunt these properties from the fringes like you do... "most of the time" But it is the aggressive move that usually gets the biggest oldest bucks... Andrae only bow hunts and has shot over a dozen legitimate booners. and has passed on probably about the same number... One thing I have noticed, when a buck becomes a target for him, it don't live long...

The point of the story is that there is more than one way to skin a cat... If you open your mind to what others are doing, how some bucks are getting around you, you can learn a thing or two... Even from a guy like me or Andrae... And I am sure you could teach me a thing or two also...
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:11 am

in northern iowa there are not many trees but southern has plenty.
I agree thats why i said depends on the age of the buck. also agree that you can learn from someone else. You can also learn from the mistakes they make. There isnt a year go by that I dont have a diff buck on cam that got spooked from some other place.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 am

iowa whitetail wrote:I agree i am blessed and i know i am but its not like you walk out there and some giant just shows up I practice good management and my father does also I passed two 3 year olds that was close to 160 just cause they was 3 Im just saying food and rut is the weakness i go off of and truly believe in staying away from thear home area till the rut. Good luck to everyone

How many acres do you manage? Just curious.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”