Smoothbore Shotguns and Slugs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Re: Smoothbore Shotguns and Slugs

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 am

Savage 220 for me also, and I have a couple of Ithaca 12 gauge deer slayer slug guns with rifled barrel and a Browning Gold 12 gauge with a rifled barrel. The Savage hands down is the best slug gun I have ever shot. I have shot a buck at 125 yards and 140 yards and 2 does at 150 yards and if I had a good rest on a deer not moving I would have no problem shooting a deer at 200 yards. I like the Remington Accu Tips myself.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 am

I've proven over the years that I can't hit crap with my 870, rifle sighted 12 gauge. Believe me it's not all the gun's fault. Granted I'm typically shooting at deer running/jumping through cattails but I'm simpley not good at shooting my shoty. With that said- I'm guessing at anything over 75 yards. I'm always bow hunting right up until gun season. So I don't get a whole lot of time at the range.
Anywho. I bought a mossberg 12 with a canalever barrel and a 2x7 bussnell for sitting and a rifle sighted barrel for drives. Both are fully rifled. Lets hope this works. I also hope to get more range time in too this year. Lets hope I can tag out with the bow nice and early.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:00 pm

I have Winchester model 70 30-06 I have been hunting with.

This thread began because I have the opportunity to hunt on family land this year in a shotgun-only territory.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:25 pm

I would add that I am aware of how much better rifled slug barrels are, but one of the main things I love about shotguns is how versatile they are. You used to have one 28" barreled shotgun for pretty much everything. These days I have to have one specialty shotgun for turkey with sights and camo, one specialty shotgun with a 30-32" barrel for clays, one specialty shotgun with a rifled barrel for deer, one short barrel shotgun for home defense, etc. :violin:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”