sent control....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: sent control....

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:16 am

I had a big ole mature doe last year walk in to me. She was 20 yards out, so just for fun I let some milkweed go. I knew my wind was going pretty much at her, but when I let a milkweed go, and it literally hit her on her shoulder, I couldn't believe she didn't react to my scent. I use nothing for scent control, well, other then the wind. She came in from a different direction that I wasn't expecting.

I guess what I'm saying is, my wind was going literally right at her, and she didn't make one alarming move, she just walked away browsing. I think all deer react different to our scent. To me anyway, it seems like alot of bucks let their guard down on our scent when they are in the heat of the rut. They only care about one thing at that time of the year..... Just my .02

WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:52 am

Consistency is key to anything. We consistently have those types of results. I can pretty much call a whitetails reaction to our ozonic's based on several factors: Hunting Pressure on a farm / management. Have the 5 and 6 year old deer been shot / shot at multiple times in their lives, or not. After pressure, time of year is a factor. Later in the season, higher the stress. Is it rut, do bucks have estrus in their noses. Age of an animal, and individual personalities.

That video is of a 6-1/2 year old deer. There are hunters on every property around me. Last time I counted, there were over 15 bowhunters within 1 mile of my location.

Once is a fluke. 95% is a consistency. Consistency's are what my findings are from for going on 4 years of use, and having 20+ guys on my team using them. If you don't think I'm worthy of listening to, there are several guys on my team who are pretty much deer hunting studs; and they give me these types of encounters/ footage every year.

They work, just tough convincing guys that are already convinced it's impossible to beat a whitetails nose through years and years of experience getting busted, even when using every scent elimination technique or product out there. It took me 3 years to try one, and been loving every freaking minute of my use of them since!!! I probably had 100-150 deer straight down wind this season; maybe more. When I say down-wind, they smelled something. Of the 150; maybe 3 or 4 snorted, and most of that was due to my cameraman not having his unit adjusted properly, a battery went dead, or they had multiple clues. Busted us visually, ground scent - or something that caused them to have more than 1 clue. 3 or 4 times out of over 100 - I'll take any-freaking-season....
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 am

What the video shows me is the buck busted you. Just cause the weed was going toward him doesnt mean your scent was. But the draft finally hit him it would have been the same film without the machine. I think its safe to say everyone that deer hunts alot has had a deer down wind of them and didnt get busted without a machine that lets off ozone.But hey mabe if everyone bought one mabe we could prevent global warming. :lol:
KIoutdoors

Unread postby KIoutdoors » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:18 am

iowa whitetail wrote:What the video shows me is the buck busted you.Just cause the weed was going toward him doesnt mean your scent was. But the draft finally hit him it would have been the same film without the machine. I think its safe to say everyone that deer hunts alot has had a deer down wind of them and didnt get busted without a machine that lets off ozone.But hey mabe if everyone bought one mabe we could prevent global warming. :lol:

are you joking!?!? :shock:
"Not Nerdy, Obsessed" -Antler Geeks
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 am

KIoutdoors wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:What the video shows me is the buck busted you.Just cause the weed was going toward him doesnt mean your scent was. But the draft finally hit him it would have been the same film without the machine. I think its safe to say everyone that deer hunts alot has had a deer down wind of them and didnt get busted without a machine that lets off ozone.But hey mabe if everyone bought one mabe we could prevent global warming. :lol:

Not one bit its called gravity. It pulls down on stuff. You think wind takes your scent straight down at a deer? I mean come on hear think about it he is prolly 25 to 30 ft in a tree the buck is 15 yards away his scent is blowing right over that deer. There is no question that deer caught his wind for a second. I dare anyone to go after a 200 inch deer with that thing and kill him down wind of you.
KIoutdoors

Unread postby KIoutdoors » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
KIoutdoors wrote:

Not one bit its called gravity. It pulls down on stuff. You think wind takes your scent straight down at a deer? I mean come on hear think about it he is prolly 25 to 30 ft in a tree the buck is 15 yards away his scent is blowing right over that deer. There is no question that deer caught his wind for a second. I dare anyone to go after a 200 inch deer with that thing and kill him down wind of you.

I am not going to sit here and try to convince you that something works, but I got Two questions, have you used it? If so used it right? There is a lot of people here that say the sent control is a wast of time, maybe to them, but I don't care who you are or how hard you try, the deer don't play the script every time, so not all of the deer will walk up wind of you. I don't care if you believe me but I can honestly say I don't worry about being winded when hunting(I only play the wind when hunting beds and usually they are there in the bed with a specific wind anyway so why not put it to your advantage). I have a sent routine that probably blows most peoples mind and have yet to see someone with a more strict routine. Tell me I am wrong, that the mature bucks won't snort and just drift off, the wind was just doing something funny, I seen it work for me to many times and this is in Michigan not Iowa were our two year olds are more like your guys 3 and sometimes 4 year olds.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am

KIoutdoors wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
KIoutdoors wrote:

I am not going to sit here and try to convince you that something works, but I got Two questions, have you used it? If so used it right? There is a lot of people here that say the sent control is a wast of time, maybe to them, but I don't care who you are or how hard you try, the deer don't play the script every time, so not all of the deer will walk up wind of you. I don't care if you believe me but I can honestly say I don't worry about being winded when hunting(I only play the wind when hunting beds and usually they are there in the bed with a specific wind anyway so why not put it to your advantage). I have a sent routine that probably blows most peoples mind and have yet to see someone with a more strict routine. Tell me I am wrong, that the mature bucks won't snort and just drift off, the wind was just doing something funny, I seen it work for me to many times and this is in Michigan not Iowa were our two year olds are more like your guys 3 and sometimes 4 year olds.
It seems as if i have picked up a few haters over my way of hunting. Well thats fine I have been nothing but kind to all. So this is what im going to tell you iowa deer are not dumb not like people think, I have been successful and worked to get them so a little sarcasm from you doesnt mean much. No I have never used one cause almost every year I have a 450 dollar taxidermy bill from hunting the wind.
KIoutdoors

Unread postby KIoutdoors » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
KIoutdoors wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
KIoutdoors wrote:

It seems as if i have picked up a few haters over my way of hunting. Well thats fine I have been nothing but kind to all. So this is what im going to tell you iowa deer are not dumb not like people think, I have been successful and worked to get them so a little sarcasm from you doesnt mean much. No I have never used one cause almost every year I have a 450 dollar taxidermy bill from hunting the wind.

Ya I didn't mean to come out so sarcastic to begin with, sorry. I never said they were dumb by any means, any mature deer is very smart,I was just saying our 2 year holds act like your older mature deer. Well its a good thing you haven't bought one then because you would be spend more than that on taxidermy hahaha. Just curious but if you haven't used it how do you know it doesn't work?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 am

Its nothing against you or anybody personally I just think there are some things humans cant beat a deers nose is one of them.If you think it works and it gives you more confidence than more power to you. good luck
KIoutdoors

Unread postby KIoutdoors » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Good luck to you too man. Got any monsters you're after this year? Only 5 months and 7 days hahaha

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

KIoutdoors wrote:Good luck to you too man. Got any monsters you're after this year? Only 5 months and 7 days hahaha

yes i do it will be hear faster than we know
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm

KIoutdoors wrote:Just curious but if you haven't used it how do you know it doesn't work?

I just cannot imagine that the small amount of ozone generated by these units could possibly eliminate all of your scent downwind in an open air environment. And if the unit does not neutralize all of your scent then you are busted.

I have no experience with the thing and dont have any experience with ozone, but my gut (common sense) tell me that ozonics cannot be 100% effective in an open air environment.

I could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time.

"In the deed, the glory"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 pm

I agree with you about not being able to trick a deers nose... Can't be done.
No haters here... ;) Im actually enjoying your posts. Just keep in mind that your in a whole different world than most of us hunt. A lot of us are hunting very heavy pressure public or small private properties. Most of the guys on this site are very experienced hunters whom are at the top of there game "for the areas they hunt" .
Where I hunt public behind my house for example, we have a less than 10% success rate on "any deer" most people go several years hunting without ever seeing a P&Y... However, I shoot big bucks almost every year.
Some of us do hunt managed land of different sizes too... Andrae hunts N.E. Iowa managed land, and he hunts beds like I do... Not sure if your aware who he is, but he probably has more actual B&C bucks with the bow than any other hunter in the world "if he put them in the books" One of which would probably be in the top 5 in iowa for typicals.

So telling us our methods don't or can't work, is going to raise an eyebrow or two... Cause they are working. But, it is obvious that your methods are working too... Mature bucks are not easy any where they roam free. So your obviously doing something right too... We would all be interested in the things that work for you. But those methods won't likely work everywhere. But Im sure there are some lesson that could help us all if combined...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:03 am

Iowa whitetail, I don't think you have any haters. that is one of the many great things about the huntingbeast. there is a lot of discussion, but I have yet to see any arguments like on other website forums. I was really impressed by Todd's video. that was pretty cool. I still however won't buy the unit. it costs a lot of money and is another thing to drag out to the stand. I also don't hunt as much as him or near as serious when it comes to hunting deer. if I was. I may be compelled to give it a try now. I hope you stay around and keep sharing your posts.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 am

So basically with Ozonics you hunt with the wind to your back?

See video.... http://ozonicshunting.com/how_howozonicsworks.shtml

Since you don't set up the unit until you are in your tree wouldn't your hunt be done before you even start because your untreated scent stream already polluted you hunting area?

That video just goes against everything when it comes to playing the wind! :?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”