Mineral.... waste of money?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Mineral.... waste of money?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 am

what are your thoughts on putting out mineral? I hear some guys say it's a waste of time and money, & then I hear other guys swear by it... is it more of just an attractant, or does it actually help antler growth?

I know very little about the subject. I can't put it out anyway where I live legally, but it still intrigues me to whetherit really helps a bucks antler growth or not.

I am guessing that maybe it depends what type of soil you have in your area? meaning, the less nutritional soils, could use a little help to promote antler growth?

thoughts?????

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Mineral.... waste of money?

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 am

dreaming bucks wrote:what are your thoughts on putting out mineral? I hear some guys say it's a waste of time and money, & then I hear other guys swear by it... is it more of just an attractant, or does it actually help antler growth?

I know very little about the subject. I can't put it out anyway where I live legally, but it still intrigues me to whetherit really helps a bucks antler growth or not.

I am guessing that maybe it depends what type of soil you have in your area? meaning, the less nutritional soils, could use a little help to promote antler growth?

thoughts?????

I think if you could put enough out it would help. I don't think most people put enough out to help any. A mineral block is not a very good choice as the deer really don't hit this like they would a salt block or trace mineral block. If I were to put out minerals I would get some of those big 200 lbs mineral tubs and bury them in the ground at different locations. You could put a trail camera over them to monitor how it did through out the year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 am

Salt/Mineral sites are great for taking inventory throughout the summer. I doubt they do alot for antler growth. As far as being a waste of money, it depends on what your looking for?
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 am

My plan this weekend is two get one or two mineral sites set up. Going with stock salt and black magic minerals. Combine the two in a five gallon bucket and pour on a stump or ground. Deer have been tearing my buddies up all year. Just wanting to get inventory on the bucks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am

I do think they help growth "a little"... But the best part about mineral stations is putting up a camera, getting an inventory of bucks, and differing angles of the racks... You can decide if a buck is a shooter in advance with good photos and not have to decide in a couple seconds in the tree...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 am

dan wrote:I do think they help growth "a little"... But the best part about mineral stations is putting up a camera, getting an inventory of bucks, and differing angles of the racks... You can decide if a buck is a shooter in advance with good photos and not have to decide in a couple seconds in the tree...

X2.....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 am

ok, all good info...
how long do they hit it, all the way until velvet comes off?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:06 am

dreaming bucks wrote:ok, all good info...
how long do they hit it, all the way until velvet comes off?

That is just about right.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:23 am

I used to make a big mix of minerals thinking it might make a difference...Lately, I've been using regular Salt with powdered Kool-Aid....I'm still getting the same number of pictures as I did before. Woorks great for an inventory.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 am

I also think it is a great attraction, as long as it has something the deer like. As for antler growth, I don't know, but it can't hurt. I have read studies that say they make no difference, but I still am on the fence. If the deer's enviornment is lacking a mineral you can supply, how can this not help?
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 am

I placed one out a couple of years ago, and I didn't get much use out of it. I placed on some land where the deer population isn't that concentrated. I thought it would help bring them in, I had a couple does lick on'em, but that about it. Didn't do much for me. As far as antler growth, I agree with some of these other guys. Maybe a little, but not worth putting out. I say save your money for gas, or a trail camera. Heck, maybe a bag of corn would do ya much better....if your state allows it that is...
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 am

Keep in mind WI residents that placing mineral is illegal unless during the season or within 50yds of an inhabited dwelling. I don't agree with this law, just don't want to see anyone get nabbed.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 am

Several University studies have concluded that mineral supplements have very little to zero effect on antler growth. All the studies that I have seen revolved around captive deer. Most of the studies went something like this:

Deer herd "A" were fed a very nutritious diet with ample mineral supplementing.

Deer herd "B" were fed no minerals (sometimes a deficient diet).

At the end of the study, Deer herd A and B were nearly identical as far as body size, weight, and antler growth. Thus, I highly doubt that putting out minerals (no matter how you slice it - Monster Raxx, Trophy Rock, homemade, etc.) is going to have any effect on a buck that visits the site every 7-10 days for a few months in the summer. The deer are attracted to and need the salt during this time of year (diet is high in potassium during summer), but that is about it. Here is a great discussion on AT:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180188

However, mineral sites (salt licks, whatever) are great for inventory and pics.
"In the deed, the glory"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 am

jakedeaver wrote:Several University studies have concluded that mineral supplements have very little to zero effect on antler growth. All the studies that I have seen revolved around captive deer. Most of the studies went something like this:

Deer herd "A" were fed a very nutritious diet with ample mineral supplementing.

Deer herd "B" were fed no minerals (sometimes a deficient diet).

At the end of the study, Deer herd A and B were nearly identical as far as body size, weight, and antler growth. Thus, I highly doubt that putting out minerals (no matter how you slice it - Monster Raxx, Trophy Rock, homemade, etc.) is going to have any effect on a buck that visits the site every 7-10 days for a few months in the summer. The deer are attracted to and need the salt during this time of year (diet is high in potassium during summer), but that is about it. Here is a great discussion on AT:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180188

However, mineral sites (salt licks, whatever) are great for inventory and pics.

That about sums it up IMO!! Good post!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”