Access to a Buck Bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Access to a Buck Bed

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Previous to finding this site and watching hill country bucks, I believe I stumbled into a bucks bed which I'll confirm this weekend. The property is public with one access point, the believed bed is off a point 150-200 yards from the parking area where he not only can hear but wind anyone accessing the property. Question, being upwind 150-200 yards would a Buck tolerate the human scent to enter the property, I know I'd park differently if hunting this particular bed. If it turns out, I'd probably park 1/4 miles before the parking area, walk in past the bed, wait an hour for him to settle down if he did catch any scent, then setup. I plan to post some pics next week of the area with more questions, thanks guys.

Heres a topo map of what I'm talking about.
[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Access to a Buck Bed

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:57 pm

I would walk West a few hundred yards (or more) before heading south to in line with the stand position and then slowly make my way to the stand. I am sure he has smelled people accessing from the lot before and tolerates it.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:57 am

I kind of like that other point to the east, on the other side of the creek. I think that's worth scouting. Without seeing the rest of the map, it looks alot more secluded. That point on the south west corner of the map wth the ravine looks good too.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 am

Thanks guys, I'm going to walk this piece this weekend again. The point to the east is really open hardwoods, the neighbor has a food plot across the fence so I will scout it but not expecting bedding. The point to the south would be good, but a logging road follows the top edge of the hillside and thats where all the pressure heads.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”