Making a sanctuary on our property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Making a sanctuary on our property

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:52 pm

After talking to my uncle, he told me he wanted to put in a sanctuary on his property. He believes with a 10 acre sanctuary on his 40 acres we will see more deer when rifle season comes around because they will hold in that area and not get spooked.

Honestly I dont believe in sanctuaries working like that especially if its only 10 acres. It sounds like he wants the sanctuary in the thickest and nastiest part of his property which is also where the bucks bed. The only problem is that we wouldnt be able to bow hunt these buck beds.

If you made a santuary how would you set it up? Make it in the thickest area, in the bedding area, furthest from where the cars are parked? etc.

Do you believe santuaries actually work for the hunter? It seems to me its just making your property and spots more limited.

I know he wants to do this and it will be done. I am not going to try and tell him what to do with HIS land. However we are going to sit down look at the map and discuss where to put the sanctuary. His rules are to not touch foot in this area unless tracking a deer. Im just curious what you guys would suggest or how to go about this situation. As you can see Im not sure what to think about all of this.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Making a sanctuary on our property

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 pm

My opinion is on 40 acres with 10 being a sanctuary. You wont have much of a sanctuary if you hunt the other 30 acres. That is a pretty small area. I honestly think you would be better off to have a 10 acre food plot. the more things you have that will hold deer the better off you are.

You already have cover, so unless you improve on that, what will the sanctuary do for the property? I say this, and understand, I do believe a sanctuary can be a good thing on the right piece of property.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I'd improve the habitat and hunt intelligently. Make good use of the space that you have. That seems to make more sense. But I know what it's like to try to change other people's mind set regarding their ideas, especially deer hunting- everyone is an expert.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Check out this thread but be careful! This one got a little crazy!! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3662

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Sounds like your uncle is a gun hunter... ;)

If you looked at the thread Dewey posted you know how I feel about sanctuary's... With that said, there is about a 10 acre area on the farm that Dave owns that is treated like a sanctuary. But the reason is because you can't get any closer without spooking the deer so it has to be hunted on the fringes. However the beds are on the fringes too. So we are still close to the beds.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Upon the advice of a well known habitat guy, I treated the interior of my personal 67 acres as a sanctuary. Only hunting the fringes. I had a lousy season and ended up missing the majority of the action, most of which was understandably happening in the areas that I was no longer hunting. I think a lot will depend on the general pattern of movement on a small property. If it is very distinct then I think it may would work better.

In a property as small as mine though, I think all your really accomplishing is losing an more opportunity at deer as they are passing through your property. Hunt it intelligently and pay close attention to getting in and out without spooking deer and I feel that you will be better off.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:02 am

If you have to question whether its a sanctuary its not a sanctuary.Its common sense.If the cover is so thick and nasty where you cant get close without being detected stay out.No trees on your hands and knees is what most would consider a sanctuary.That isn't very easy to make......
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 am

Specific to the subject property, if you never go on a certain 10 acres, and that is where the bucks bed anyway, yes I think you have made that area only more attractive as a bedding area for bucks. If it means everybody is going to hang their stand right next to it all the time just because its a "sanctuary" - well generally 10 acres isn't big enough to handle that.

Overall I think hunters are better off just being disciplined about where they go, when they go, and what they do in order to avoid deer getting on to them. I love hunting sanctuaries...where ever a mature buck beds is a sanctuary for him and if you pressure that spot he won't bed there anymore.

If its all or nothing, meaning establishing an area as a sanctuary is the difference between quads driving thru it every weekend and no one ever setting foot on it, then by all means make it a sanctuary and you will be further ahead than having too much access.

My 2 cents.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:42 pm

My uncle is a gun hunter only. He had a stroke a few years back and cant handle a bow. He is interested in getting a crossbow but said they are too expensive.

With that said, with 10 acres of unpressured land I would think the bucks would keep bedding there which would be great for gun season when the neighbors push land but for bowhunting my plan would be to hunt in between the buck bed or beds in the santuary and doe bedding.

If you think about it I could still kill one of those bucks but I think it would have to come during the rut when one is up in daylight going from its bedding area to the adjacent doe bedding area to look for does. The area I think we will put the sanctuary is thick brush on several points with the doe bedding area being fair game which is next to the points. Who knows maybe its a good thing and will pay off.

All I know is that I want to try and figure out a way to hunt the bucks in the santuary without going into it. Hard yes, impossible No.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:30 pm

I would bow hunt the funnels on that property during the rut and again when the gun pressure hits. Other than that I wouldn't step foot on it. Thats if I were really looking for the best chance at holding bucks during daylight, during season.

Plenty of public bucks to bed hunt and push around.

Just my opinion.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:54 pm

If a true sanctuary is established... The biggest bucks will go in the before light and not come out till after dark. Also, if your just deeming the area as a sanctuary and not looking at bedding you may find they know when your on the property, and there might only be a small section of the 10 acres where the deer actually bed.
Hoyt63

Unread postby Hoyt63 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:44 am

I have about 75 acres hunting land and pretty much treat the whole area as sanctuary.I only hunt the outside on trails leading to bedding,food or water sources. Saying i'm going to make this area sanctuary sounds good but in reality it may not work..Does it have the habitat the deer want to bed in. Is the cover sufficient to hold deer..I make bedding corridors on my property by improving the habitat,hinge cutting and giving the deer what they want and need. Browse,food,water,cover.10 acres can be done..But remember the does pick the best spots to fawn and leave the rest for the bucks to find. Good Luck!!
QDMA Member, Scrape Line Hunters Pro Staff.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:05 am

so many variables not mentioned- what is a round it- thats what makes a sanctuary not the acreage

Want the most of your ground? just hunt the edges and those of which you wil not be crossing deer traffic

If your unlce is a gun guy give him a nice vantage point to see a ton of deer where his foot prints and wind dont screw up the majority flow or buck entry and everyone wins...

just my $0.02 assessment though
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:49 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I would bow hunt the funnels on that property during the rut and again when the gun pressure hits. Other than that I wouldn't step foot on it. Thats if I were really looking for the best chance at holding bucks during daylight, during season.

Plenty of public bucks to bed hunt and push around.

Just my opinion.

I plan on buying a lonewolf this year and hitting the public land more and more. To be honest there is public around here thats less pressured in places than our private was.

I found out last year I simply burned out our private between myself, dad, brother and other uncle.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:15 am

Have you been through it to see if there are any buck beds? You might make a sanctuary that doesn't even have the ingredients to hold mature bucks. I would also find the safest way for a buck to scent check your property so you can focus on the rut. If you know where the beds are you don't need a sanctuary, you just stay away from the buck beds, I pass by buck beds all the time at 100 yards or more because I know exactly where they are and I'm careful not to encroach. You need to find the buck beds if any, and eliminate the guess work!! If no buck beds then I would focus on doe beds and hunting down wind during the rut. I have found that a lot of times there isn't many safe ways for a buck to scent check during the day, so you need to find the safest trails for a buck to move in daylight and relate that to the doe bedding and you got a dead buck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”