Making a sanctuary on our property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Craaaig

Re: Making a sanctuary on our property

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am

I must add that just because an area doesn't have an human intrusion or human scent that doesn't make it a safe place for a buck. A lot of the buck beds are set up for certain winds to protect themselves from dogs. You might make a sanctuary that gets yotes coming through all the time and just because you aren't in there doesn't make it safe!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bigb
500 Club

Re: Making a sanctuary on our property

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 am

I think between the topic that Dewey reposted and this topic there seems to be a fine line between doe bedding areas and sanctuaries on the land that I hunt. I now see that we don't have so much of sanctuaries, just doe bedding areas that are impossible to hunt so we leave them undisturbed. These are areas that we are unable to hunt due to no trees to put a stand and no areas open enough to put a ground blind. I know that the does bed in these areas and we only go through that area blood trailing a deer because really since we can't hunt them we stay out since there is really no reason to go in. We hunt the outer edges of these small bedding areas and seem to see the most bucks patrolling the edges of these areas in late October/November. Last year with the perfect wind and hunting the outer edge of one of these areas I saw 10 different bucks in one morning. Two were shooters that just wouldn't come close enough. I could be wrong with my assumption though.....

Craig, I agree with you about you might stay out but the totes might also find that place a safe haven. Blood trailing a buck I shot this year we went into one of our small doe bedding areas and found where my buck laid down, most likely to die. When I found where he laid down I looked down the ridge and saw a heavily used coyote den about 30 yards away. I'm convinced that a coyote pushed that deer out of there and we never found him. The neighbor is a pretty big coyote hunter and I'm hoping he got those yotes last winter so that bedding area will be a little less disturbed

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”