Roman Nose

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: Roman Nose

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:24 pm

brink wrote:No offense whatsoever to JoeRE or his fine bucks but when I think of roman nose, I have Swampthing's pic in mind. Reminds me of Spuds McKenzie from the ol Bud Light ads ;)

X2

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Bigb wrote:Here is a trail cam picture of a buck I've been after for two years. He has what I believe as a Roman Nose. I have a picture of him after gun season this year so I'm hoping this fall I'll be able to see his roman nose up close!

Oh yeah he's got the Roman nose!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 pm

I think it's all genetic and there isn't something that causes it, wouldn't make sense for the nose to be developed overtime

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:17 pm

This is a 6-1/2+ year old buck I shot that I believe would qualify as having a Roman nose.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:17 am

Craaaig wrote:I think it's all genetic and there isn't something that causes it, wouldn't make sense for the nose to be developed overtime

I will respectfully disagree with you. I have seen European skull mounts of bucks from ages 1 1/2 up thru 6 or 7 1/2 years of age. As deer mature the skull plates start to fuse together and grow together. The first few years of any whitetails life the majority of nutrients go into skeleton and muscle growth, cartilage is replaced by bone so on and so forth. In my living room I have the skull mounts of a 2 1/2 year old buck next to a few 3 1/2 year old bucks next to a few in the 5.5 year old range, as the deer get older the skulls get heavier and thicker and that "roman nose" does develop over time. Is it as prevalent in some old deer as it is in other older deer? No, of course not, every deer is different but as deer age that roman nose begins to show up, usually in a 4.5 or older deer.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:27 am

i agree with muddy, and the width of eyes seems to get wider also. but yes the bone structure becomes thicker also.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 am

So, do ALL deer have the potential for a roman nose, with age?

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:16 am

If it is not genetic, then we would see the roman nose on every mature whitetail deer? I don't understand how 2 deer of the same species and the same age, and 1 has a roman nose while the other does not, how is that not genetic? You are saying a rare type of nose on a deer is influenced by age and nutrition?

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 am

Craaaig wrote:If it is not genetic, then we would see the roman nose on every mature whitetail deer? I don't understand how 2 deer of the same species and the same age, and 1 has a roman nose while the other does not, how is that not genetic? You are saying a rare type of nose on a deer is influenced by age and nutrition?

I don't know if it is genetic or a result of a lot of fighting but not every buck buck will develop the roman nose over time. (I am referring to the curved nose, not the long straight nose that I incorrectly thought was called a roman nose earlier in the thread.)

Anybody else think it may be a result of broken noses/damaged cartilage received during fighting?

I have had the good fortune to watch a lot of fully mature bucks to 6, 7+ years old and very few developed that curved "roman nose." The oldest buck that I knew of, at least 9 when he died, did not have any kind of a curved nose. Their foreheads do get broader and the crown of their nose gets straighter - loosing the dished in appearance common with bucks younger than 4 years old - but most do not develop a curved nose around here. I can only think of one or two out of dozens. I have a pile of euro mounts.

If it is genetic then there will be local variations. Some locations may have more old bucks develop the roman nose.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 am

What about this little PA public land buck. I think he had this gentic trait.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue May 14, 2013 6:58 am

With this yearling, i am apt to question if age has anything to do with the characteristic.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”