Patterning without polluting / Modern age Bed hunting ...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Patterning without polluting / Modern age Bed hunting ...

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am

Like it or not, technology has caught up to us... A couple years ago they started coming out with trail cameras that email you pictures. I had checked them out, but they were near a grand and had some bugs... Now, we can get mobile trail cams for $300 to $400.

So what does this mean to the bed hunter?

Put one of these over a bed with a good set of fresh batteries and a fool proof stand position on the staging area and just wait till you get an email telling you the buck is there and then go in and kill it...

The biggest problem with bed hunting is the guess work. If you go in on the day he is bedded elsewhere, you scent up the area, and the spot is done for a while...

Even that remote food plot right up against the bedding... Get an emailed picture every time a deer enters the plot... "Patterning without polluting"

I know technology can be scary... But sooner or later its here, and you can either get on the bus and enjoy the ride, or walk while everybody passes you by.
When the compound bow was invented people were worried about how easy it would be to hunt... It was easier. Non-issue now... Same with 65% let off...

Anywho, I am going to the dark side and trying the newest tech. I have two different mobile cameras on there way. I am expecting them in the mail any day... I have been talking with a fellow by the name of Will Shi from H.C.O. Outdoors and I am really impressed with what he has. ( still have to test it for myself to be sure though )

Some of the features that caught my eye were:
the instant pictures to my phone / computer. (and if its the right buck I might get sick and have to leave work early. Cough, cough, )

GPS If someone steals it I can GPS track it down with a phone

Security on the house when I am not here... Instant pic of who is here when I am not.

You can change the sensitivity or other settings such as picture quality bursts, etc or check batteries right from your house "Patterning without polluting"

Panda GSM blackout wireless camera $350
http://www.hcooutdoors.com/product_info ... cts_id=118
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_B-J1AlvVAk[/bbvideo]

Im also getting a
MB500 blackout wireless camera
The Uway MB500 scouting camera sends photos to your email or cellphone via the GSM/GPRS cellular network. The camera can be triggered by motion or by a timer(also known as time lapse function). With its invisible blackout flash,you can get high quality night time photos and videos without spooking the game or draw any attention when they go off.<p>

With its 50+ft detection range and 1s trigger speed, you won't miss a thing. It will support SD cards up to 32G. In addition to wildlife monitoring, the HCO Panda is also a great camera for surveillance.<p>

8MP high quality photo<br>
Sends photos to phone or email via GSM wireless network<br>
Built in 2” color display<br>
Photo/Video playback<br>
Live preview<br>
Support SD card up to 32GB<br>
High-output Invisible IR LEDs<br>
Fast trigger time of 1.1s<br>
Detection range: 50+ft<br>
Time lapse function<br>
User-friendly interface, the setup is very easy and doesn't involve computer. The popular cellphone carriers are programed in the camera already<br>
8xAA & improved power management<br>
Access Control (password protection)<br>
Date , Time, Temperature, Moon phases and Power stamps on image<br>
Weatherproof

I don't have them yet, but will soon, and plan on testing then out right away... I also got a couple of there other black out cameras for bear hunting, the back yard, etc.
A U250B blackout scouting camera and a VH200B blackout scouting camera

There website is: www.hcooutdoors.com

Thoughts?

solocam88
500 Club

Re: Patterning without polluting / Modern age Bed hunting ..

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 am

Whose the cell carrier?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:07 am

solocam88 wrote:Whose the cell carrier?

I was under the impression that was optional... but I might be wrong. The sales guy at the show said there are two monthly plans. $10 a month for 1000 pictures, or $20 for unlimited, and he said you can buy it by the month, go a few months with it off and just repay. No long term contract.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am

solocam88 wrote:Whose the cell carrier?

X2... Heck I thought you didn't have a phone even?? Now you're going high tech cams on us!! LOL

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 am

The only two carriers i know about that do this are At&t and t-mobile.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am

solocam88 wrote:The only two carriers i know about that do this are At&t and t-mobile.

The sales guy mentioned AT&T
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am

Been watching these for awhile but thought they were way too expensive. Figured as technology caught up they would get cheaper.

Looking forward to a review! 8-)

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

I would imagine you would plan on using these on private and not public???

Obsession Bows
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 am

Does at&t get good cell reception by you?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I would imagine you would plan on using these on private and not public???

Public is legal now, correct? I would have no problem with using them on any ground legal to do so... If someone steals it I text that camera ( with Carols phone :lol: ) "where are you" and I get a GPS location... Not to mention I will get photo's of the guy stealing on my phone as he is doing so and can call law enforcement before he is even out of the woods.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:32 am

solocam88 wrote:Does at&t get good cell reception by you?

Its hit or miss... But it takes less bars to send a photo than to make a call... I might have some spots that don't work... We will find out.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 am

Hunt smarter, not harder. Right?

I see no problem with gathering real-time intel. You still needs to do all the work in locating where bucks live and where they move during daylight for them to be of any use bed hunting. Plus, not many people are going to fork over thousands of dollars to hang one over every bed that they have located, so most of the time we are still going to be hunting "blind" without the real-time intel.

I see a correlation between this technology and all the great, high resolution aerial imagery that is available for free (Bing, Google, FSA, etc.). The imagery can help you digitally scout an area, dismiss the majority of the land, and focus your scouting efforts. But, you still need to have the experience to know what to look for in the first place and then actually find and read the sign. The great imagery is worthless to most of the hunters in the woods, but a few guys know how to use it (I am still learning) and can capitalize on it.

I have a couple regular trail cams that I like playing around with, mainly over mineral sites in the summer to locate shooters. But I could see myself adding a couple wireless cams to my for this specific purpose. I really want to leave a cam or two over a couple beds that I have scouted this year, but I am not sure how to do it. When? How?
"In the deed, the glory"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am

I could see myself adding a couple wireless cams to my for this specific purpose. I really want to leave a cam or two over a couple beds that I have scouted this year, but I am not sure how to do it. When? How?

My plan is to place the cameras with brand new batterys over the bed I most suspect my target buck to be using... The primary bedding area I am thinking of, I will likey have to aim at the center of the bedding area cause there are about 20 beds... I will leave the camera and the bed alone till he shows. Might put one on a remote food plot that is real small and right in a buck staging area... And thinking about putting one in Iowa, while I am here and just heading over to my stand when the time is right.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 am

Probably going to be real important to pick a bed with a solid entrance / exit so you can easily slip into position and kill the buck when he exits....

You will probably get texted a picture when the buck rise from his bed to exit too, in case you can't see him coming.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't know about this. To me the best part of hunting is the Unknown. That's what makes it fun and exciting. Getting a pic sent to your phone that your target buck has risen from his bed and is on its way while you wait in your stand is a little extreme to me! To each their own I guess??

Obsession Bows

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”