Patterning without polluting / Modern age Bed hunting ...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Patterning without polluting / Modern age Bed hunting ..

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:28 am

dan wrote:And if its 3 PM you have one more drive and you check the "normal" camera and see one heading into a woodlot... Which woodlot you going to drive?

Ive never been on a drive where someone has pulled a card off a normal camera to check if a buck has been thru that day.You cant deny real-time photos could take the guesswork out if you have multiple properties to access.You could be driving over to drive one property and get tipped off to a buck you never planned on hunting.Or where to go after the drive you are doing is done.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:34 am

goldtip5575 wrote:
dan wrote:And if its 3 PM you have one more drive and you check the "normal" camera and see one heading into a woodlot... Which woodlot you going to drive?

Ive never been on a drive where someone has pulled a card off a normal camera to check if a buck has been thru that day.You cant deny real-time photos could take the guesswork out if you have multiple properties to access.You could be driving over to drive one property and get tipped off to a buck you never planned on hunting.Or where to go after the drive you are doing is done.

X2
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am

goldtip5575 wrote:

Yep... There are some benafits with this camera... I was using cameras with a screen I could check on the fly as I passed them. My point is its not that big of an advantage next to other products... If it were not for GPS I would still have remote areas to myself and people scared of the dark would still be hunting along trails near the road... If it were not for trail cameras in general people would not know a huge buck even existed on there hunting grounds, etc. etc...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

I didn't say I was knocking the technology. Just agreeing with a fact. Some will see it as a positive, some will see it as a negative.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 am

I understand the point about other technological products like the GPS, rangefinder, standard trail cams and so on. My concern with these "real time" camera's is that they are nothing like any of these other products as nothing else on the market can give you the exact location of a target animal in "real time". I'm not trying to pick on HCO or anyone that's excited to try these cameras. I just wonder if we go down this road with "real time" technology, what's the end game? What's next? How far can it go?
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 am

My thoughts... I personally don't think I would buy one, for the simple fact that I could never see myself paying >$300 for a single cam, plus extra cell service (at least without lots of extra $$ to spend). I got a couple of those Hunten Black flash cams last year on sale for about $70 each, and take fine pics that don't spook deer. HOWEVER, that argument doesn't address the main advantage of the new technology. Do I like the text message picture technology? Yes and no. I'm thinking about guys that work long hours but are every bit the die hard at heart that many guys on here. Maybe they have an hour drive on top of that to get to their spot. I'd be completely fine with them using this technology to get intel. Like others have said, it isn't that different compared to current technology that way, except that he can review pics before he arrives. I think that putting the cams over beds (assuming they work flawlessly, have no sound or visible flash) is pushing the boundary for me just a bit. I have no problems with others doing it, because it still requires a lot of work and knowledge for the setup.

I think in Dan's case, I'm fine with it because he's the type of guy that can take information and observations made in the woods and put the pieces together to understand how deer move. Think about the information this technology would allow him to collect. What bucks choose beds where, with what wind, at what time of day, what move phase, etc. Much of this stuff he's already learned from years of experience. But what if the cams provide some new and insightful information in the right hands? Information that everyone can benefit from. Perhaps it's something that could even help lead to writing an informational book about bed hunting, or something like that. Think about the books and studies that have been published on those big ranches in Texas where they monitor deer activity and relate it to weather variables. How much more valuable would information be if gathered on the type of pressured land that many of us currently hunt?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Information that everyone can benefit from. Perhaps it's something that could even help lead to writing an informational book about bed hunting, or something like that. Think about the books and studies that have been published on those big ranches in Texas where they monitor deer activity and relate it to weather variables. How much more valuable would information be if gathered on the type of pressured land that many of us currently hunt?

Exactly! Its a huge learning opportunity for all!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 am

It sure would be cool to know what buck is using a certain bed. If you kept getting picture after picture of the same buck using that one bed, & he is not the buck you are after, you could pull the cam & place it on another favorite buck bed of yours, & see if the buck that is using this bed, is the buck you are after.

It would be very cool just to see when that buck beds there according to wind direction.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:23 am

For those that think Dan would be lowering his standards to use the E cameras think again. We know Dan is very generous in sharing his knowledge. So why wouldn't he try and improve on his teaching methods with the use of the E cameras? Hey if I can learn some things through the use of cameras why should I not learn?

Once you hit a certain pinnacle in your hunting career you have to do different things to keep motivated and moving forward. I think Dan has nothing to prove to anyone or himself. He has reached a point where using E cameras will give him more tools to works with. Kudos to Dan for not being stuck in the old way and moving forward into the electronic age.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:09 am

bowhunter15 wrote:...I got a couple of those Hunten Black flash cams last year on sale for about $70 each...

:shock: That's a good deal for a black flash.

bowhunter15 wrote:...Perhaps it's something that could even help lead to writing an informational book about bed hunting, or something like that...

I was thinking that if enough members used these E-cams we could effectively gather enough useful information to "Publish" the results on the forum as a Beast exclusive.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Stanley wrote:For those that think Dan would be lowering his standards to use the E cameras think again. We know Dan is very generous in sharing his knowledge. So why wouldn't he try and improve on his teaching methods with the use of the E cameras? Hey if I can learn some things through the use of cameras why should I not learn?

Once you hit a certain pinnacle in your hunting career you have to do different things to keep motivated and moving forward. I think Dan has nothing to prove to anyone or himself. He has reached a point where using E cameras will give him more tools to works with. Kudos to Dan for not being stuck in the old way and moving forward into the electronic age.
x2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm

I read an article in the last year or to about how Mike Rex uses these type of cameras very effectively.
Most of you guys have probably never heard of him because he is from Ohio and is the president of the Ohio BB club. He uses a similar product by a company called Buckeye cams,they are pretty expensive but appear to work well.
The article was actually about a buck his son killed. Mike was in one of his treestands when he got a text picture of the target buck. Realizing he was hunting the wrong farm that day (bad guess). He immediately got down and made an adjustment to the other farm . He did end up seeing the buck come through out of range at about 75 yards. He was not able to hunt the following day due to work obligations. Lucky for his son school was called offf due to weather and his dad (Mike Rex) told him what area to setup. The son shot the Buck the following Day. I believe it was early November so the the rut was in. The camera definitely helped pin down what farm the deer was actively using. If I can find the article I will post it up as it was very interesting how he utilized the camera technology.
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 pm

spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Here is some more info if anyone is interested. Evidently my memory about all of the details was off somewhat ( old age Kicking in ) at least my excuse. :roll:http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Changing+ ... 0209239838

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”