Crossing Creeks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Crossing Creeks?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 am

I'm like a lot of guys on this forum. I often find myself walking a long way to my stand and sometime I encounter a creek/river along the way. My 5 methods to date have been: 1.) Ever dangerous balance beam on a wet log 2.) Find a shallow place to cross with my boots (Muck rubber) 3.) Garebage bag on each leg cheap overboot 4.) Packing in hip or chest waders 5.) Leaping across the creek, often failing.

I rarely cross rivers and often encouter hip-high creeks (at the highest) during my typical hunts.

What is everyone using? Clearly the above isn't great. I've been looking at the wiggys waders, neos river trekkers, and the sourdough slippers. Emphasis on light weight and packability.

Any input from the fellow beasts?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Crossing Creeks?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

I just use hip boots, not the most comfortable, but it works.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 pm

I don't like hauling waders and hunting wet is not fun. So what I do if I can't find a spot shallow enough to cross I just strip down and carry my boots, weapon, clothes, stand, etc. over my head and shake off re-dress and keep going...
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:22 pm

dan wrote:I don't like hauling waders and hunting wet is not fun. So what I do if I can't find a spot shallow enough to cross I just strip down and carry my boots, weapon, clothes, stand, etc. over my head and shake off re-dress and keep going...

x's 2 If it is to deep for my knee boots, I get naked and jump in. Probably not a pretty picture if someone was watching but works great
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Haha.....the bucks you kill wont care. Thats for sure!

Usually dont cross over my knee highs....there is one ditch i got a couple wet feet on

1 John 2:15 - read it
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 pm

I will totally man up and say I am a wuss compared to to DAN and MR- I look for a shallow cross or shimmy logs etc.....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I havent had to cross any water that hip waders couldnt handle
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm

I have a few spots that ill wade a river to my tree that I plan to hunt. I'll wear chest waders or hip boots if I know I can get away with it. If its cold ill bring my heater body suit and stay toasty while in stand.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm in water most of the time in marshes so hip boots are standard apparel for me. If I need to cross something deeper I will bring my chest waders.

Made a mistake by wearing rubber boots today while scouting thinking after last years drought it shouldn't be too bad. Muck boots don't do too well while walking in water over my knees most of the day! Should have been wearing my hip boots! :doh:
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 am

Dewey wrote:I'm in water most of the time in marshes so hip boots are standard apparel for me. If I need to cross something deeper I will bring my chest waders.

Made a mistake by wearing rubber boots today while scouting thinking after last years drought it shouldn't be too bad. Muck boots don't do too well while walking in water over my knees most of the day! Should have been wearing my hip boots! :doh:
Come on Dewey, I made it the last two scouting trips with knee boots and only one soaker. You just gotta jump from one cattail to the next better! Nice to see some water back in the marshes...

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 am

adrenalin wrote:
Dewey wrote:I'm in water most of the time in marshes so hip boots are standard apparel for me. If I need to cross something deeper I will bring my chest waders.

Come on Dewey, I made it the last two scouting trips with knee boots and only one soaker. You just gotta jump from one cattail to the next better! Nice to see some water back in the marshes...

I agree nice to see water. Most of what I was in yesterday was over 2 feet deep and there was not much to hop on to stay dry. Everything was ice last weekend so walking thru crotch deep water in knee boots was very COLD to say the least! Sure wakes a guy up that's for sure! :lol:

The nice thing was since everything was bone dry last year the bottom is solid with no muck to worry about.........yet.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 am

I just want the snow to melt and spring to arrive up north where I hunt. Still the dead of winter up there.. My brother will be turkey hunting in snow camo this week!! Probably a snowmobile suit underneath!! Lol

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:42 am

Going in I'll strip down if necessary. Coming out I'll wade.

Cold,COLD water means leeches are dormant....Anyone ever wade muckwater,then that night when showering find a nice dark brown leech attached ,well,anywhere in the crotch area?

I did once. Not much gives me the willies but that did.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I live in SE MI and knee/thigh deep is usually it, but nothing's worse than not being able to cross a river when you want to! I have neoprene chest waders and for cold weather they are perfect. When it's hot out waders aren't so comfortable!!! With that being said, if it takes chest waders to get to my spot, then chest waders it is!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”