What was your scariest moment.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Re: What was your scariest moment.....

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:07 am

Wow, that's a great story, too! A of a site you have here Dan, a lot of good people!

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 am

Nice musky Sam, is that your wifes largest?
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 am

No sir, she's got quite the notches on her fishing belt. I see you're a musky man, too - PM sent.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:39 am

One time my Dad shot a wounded and charging bear that was about to get me. I was stuck in a floating bog and couldn't run. I was sure glad to see him fall about 15 feet from me. It wasn't scary at the time though - everything happened so fast.

My scariest moment was when I had to climb a tree to get a dead bear out of it. The bear ran 56 feet up and died with a tree crotch around his chest and armpits. The hunter tried cutting the tree but it hung up on a group of trees. We were then able to get a truck to the tree with the hopes of pulling it off the other trees but the tree wouldn't budge. Eventually, I had to go up to the bear. The bear was so wedged into that crotch I had to work on him for quite some time before he came out. I was a bloody mess and I was sure I was going to slip right out of that tree at any time :D
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 am

Mine was while hunting in northern Minn. I had been tracking all day and was in some real rough territory. It had been snowing all day and I was soaking wet. I stayed warm by constantly moving. The sky was hanging low and direction was imposssible to tell. My GPS wasn't working (I believe because of the sky conditions and trees). My compass was giving me different readings. I'm guessing there must have been a lot of iron in the ground in that area (this has happened to me in some areas in northern Wis.). It was getting late and I would soon be in the dark. I knew the road was east of me but I wsn't sure where east was. I kept taking compass readings and realized that though I was getting different readings they were still somewhat similar. I would say within 45 degrees. I just kinda averaged the readings and headed in the easterly direction. I decided I would walk until it was dark and if I didn't find the road by then I would just light a fire and camp until the morning. Luckily I came out to the road at last light and got to sleep in a warm and dry camper! ALWAYS carry fire starting equipment and NEVER panic.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 pm

ttt

Lot's of great stories here!! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:23 pm

I hunt NC. No worries, hunting here.

Dan...the bear story is priceless....lol. Thanks for sharing.
Lateral Bowhunter
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

The rattlesnake incident in Wyoming in 2010, don't ever need the heart to race that much again!!! That or the charging bull the same day :o
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:The rattlesnake incident in Wyoming in 2010, don't ever need the heart to race that much again!!! That or the charging bull the same day :o

An encounter with bulls was by far my scariest moment! :shock:

I was bowhunting in South Dakota about 5 years ago and had a very hairy situation. The area I was hunting is praire on the edge of the Badlands. There are plenty of free ranging cattle out there but most of the time they don't cause any problems. One night I was walking back to my truck in the dark and heard two HUGE angus bulls fighting and being real aggresive. I skirted around them but ended up on the edge of a 300+ foot cliff and canyon. At this point both bulls stopped what they were doing and stared at me while moving closer! So there I was with a cliff behind me, two huge aggresive bulls and nothing but wide open prairie behind them with not a tree in sight to climb into if I had to. :shock: My heart was racing and I am not ashamed to say I was extremely worried and knew I was in a very bad situation. Having worked on a farm I know just how unpredictable a bull can be.

They watched me very closely for a few very tense minutes but thankfully lost interest in me and went back to whatever they were doing. I snuck out of there watching my back the whole way!!

That could have been a very ugly situation and glad it turned out the way it did.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Dewey wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:The rattlesnake incident in Wyoming in 2010, don't ever need the heart to race that much again!!! That or the charging bull the same day :o

An encounter with bulls was by far my scariest moment! :shock:

I was bowhunting in South Dakota about 5 years ago and had a very hairy situation. The area I was hunting is praire on the edge of the Badlands. There are plenty of free ranging cattle out there but most of the time they don't cause any problems. One night I was walking back to my truck in the dark and heard two HUGE angus bulls fighting and being real aggresive. I skirted around them but ended up on the edge of a 300+ foot cliff and canyon. At this point both bulls stopped what they were doing and stared at me while moving closer! So there I was with a cliff behind me, two huge aggresive bulls and nothing but wide open prairie behind them with not a tree in sight to climb into if I had to. :shock: My heart was racing and I am not ashamed to say I was extremely worried and knew I was in a very bad situation. Having worked on a farm I know just how unpredictable a bull can be.

They watched me very closely for a few very tense minutes but thankfully lost interest in me and went back to whatever they were doing. I snuck out of there watching my back the whole way!!

That could have been a very ugly situation and glad it turned out the way it did.

I had just shot a buck and a doe antelope and was recovering the buck, and apparently the bull was not very happy with the "disturbance" I had created for him. He would have got me and my wife but we had the truck close and we hopped in but he was within 5 feet. I had already made my mind up I was gonna shoot him if I had too, but I really didn't want to be in that situation. When I went back in 2012 I asked him what I should do if I ever got into a similar situation and he said shoot it, and that it would/t be the first time it has happened. After that I wasn't afraid anymore because I knew between the 30-06 and the vaquero on my hip, I was the meanest thing in the prairie.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm

great stories. these bear stories will give me nightmares tonight. when i was younger i would have dreams about bears chasing me and eating my legs while i was still alive, i must have had the same dream 15 times. we use to go to a cousins house in hayward every fall for a pig roast when my wife i first got married. i never really liked the idea of 30 people sleeping in tents smelling like pig when i knew by the scratches on the side of the house and garage that bears where around. nothing ever happened but you could always find the fresh bear tracks in the morning around the garage in the sand. took lots and lots of beer to get me to fall asleep at night. besides me being alittle freaked out about bears i havent had much of a scare in the woods besides yotes not giving much space when your gutting a deer in the dark.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Scariest moment I had wasn't animal related but stand related. If any of you have hunted out of the old baker stands you will understand. I was climbing up a tree in one and got 20' up and I turned around and the stand slid about 16' down and I fell out at 4'. I'm so glad they don't make those stands anymore.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm

JRM6868 wrote:Scariest moment I had wasn't animal related but stand related. If any of you have hunted out of the old baker stands you will understand. I was climbing up a tree in one and got 20' up and I turned around and the stand slid about 16' down and I fell out at 4'. I'm so glad they don't make those stands anymore.

Those things were death traps! It is a good thing people weren't as sue happy then as they are now because they wouldn't have made it 5 minutes with those stands. I have never heard a good baker story yet that didn't involve a long slide.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm

I just remembered....

One year, I was really scared I was going to eat tag soup. But, I got past it.
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Snakebite twice in my home state of Kansas.

Both times in October and close to sunset.

Once......showing a hunter a stand location, I was standing at the bottom of the tree pointing up and he said

"is that snake biting you" :?

I look down and there is a small copperhead trying to bite thru my snake boot......ended badly for the snake.

Stepped over a log and a rattler got me in the lower calf....snake boot's on again... :mrgreen:

Timber rattlers are protected here.....so I let him off with a warning.. :lol:
Timber rattlers are very nasty creatures....

Did I mention that I hate snakes....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”