What was your scariest moment.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nelson68w

Re: What was your scariest moment.....

Unread postby nelson68w » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 am

The time I got stampeded by deer in my younger days....

Gun deer hunting hill country in western WI. I walked in dragging some estrous scent and had a seat in a low, foldable turkey hunting chair-the spot was on top of a ridge overlooking a bottom about 40 feet up and I didn’t really need the extra elevation of a tree stand.

Just at legal shooting time I give my doe bleat can a turn and I instantly hear leaves right behind me crunching like a heard of bulls is coming at me. I turn in my chair and all I see is a flash of brown and deer antlers coming right at me at face level and about 10 feet away. I jump up and spin around, my rifle at my hip like I’m Rambo, I’m trying to shoot, not to hunt, but TO DEFEND MYSELF! The buck was trying to stop, but was heading down a slight leave covered decline to where I was sitting and was just sliding like he was on ice. Meanwhile, about a half dozen other deer go running by. Bucks? Does? No idea, it was all so fast and I was trying not to turn my blaze orange blaze brown. The buck eventually got traction and swerved away just as he was about to pierce my thighs. By the time I realized I needed to get the safety off in order to operate the weapon, they were all over the next hill and gone forever.

Looking back, I think what happened was he picked up on the estrous and was following the trail, which I stupidly dragged right to where I was sitting and hung it up in a tree next to me. I didn’t hear him coming and just happened to work the bleat can with him right behind me, which is when he realized something was wrong and tried to stop. The whole thing probably lasted 5 seconds, felt like an eternity.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:36 pm

dan wrote:
Sam Ubl wrote:
dan wrote:Getting a small wounded black bear shot off the top of me in pitch blackness...

I think you might have to divulge the rest of the story. . .

I figured everyone had heard that one already...

Junior's bear hunt...

Danny Infalt Jr. drew his 1st bear tag at age 16. We were hunting near the small northern Wisconsin town of Drummond. Junior had high hopes of scoring after seeing the slob bear I arrowed in Drummond the year before. Junior chose to hunt with my Mossberg shotgun instead of bow, this being his 1st bear hunt.

We hunted hard for an entire week with only one sighting the 1st evening, of a small blackie that was passed on. We had only set aside one week of vacation for bear hunting, not anticipating it being this difficult to shoot a bear with a gun. Both of us were feeling little down in spirits. Danny didn't want to give up. We decided we would come back up the next Saturday and hunt one more evening in an area a good friend and local bear expert, Brad Kuhnert, had suggested. It was the edge of a large swamp where local farmers were experiencing extreme crop damage from multiple bears exiting this swamp at night in search of farm crops.

Friday night I got a quick nap after work, then we were on the road most of the night. We passed the time talking about bear hunting. At one point, I told Jr, if you shoot a bear and its not dead... KEEP SHOOTING!! I told him he might not enjoy tracking a wounded bear nearly as much as tracking a wounded deer. Not that either is fun to track, its just wounded bears tend to get attitude problems.

We arrived at the swamp Saturday morning and set up a bait site. We 1st placed to stands side by side then put a bait about 20 yards away. We put a dozen pastries in a circle around the bait then sprayed vanilla extract up into the air to attract bears from down wind.

We then took a ride to Ashland and ate some lunch. When we returned, we heard something run off, and were surprised to find all the pastries gone and the logs over the bait shifted. We quickly, but quietly slipped up into the old Lone Wolf hang-ups and began the waiting game.

This was a long shot. We were hoping to bait a stand and shoot the bear all in one day. Definitely not the best strategy, but the only option left, and besides, you can't shoot one hanging around the living room staring at the TV wishing you were hunting.

We could hear the bear pacing back and forth in the heavy brush downwind trying to smell us. He would not show himself though. Then when we were just about to give up on the bear season, I looked up and saw the bear rise up on two feet to peer over some brush and look at the bait site. I whispered to Danny to get ready! We were almost out of light and the camera would no longer pick up enough light to film.

The bear casually circled the bait taking him right under our stands. He started his slow approach towards the bait giving us a good quartering angle. Jr. raised the gun and squeezed the trigger. KA-BOOM. The bear did a complete flip and was flailing around on the ground. Jr. pumped another solid copper sabot into the chamber and took aim a second time. I told Danny "Don't shoot, he is down."

Suddenly the bruin pops up onto all fours and takes off into the swamp. "YOU TOLD ME HE WAS DOWN, DON'T SHOOT!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO SHOOT TILL HE QUITS MOVING"

I could sense a desperation in Jr's voice, this was his 1st bear, and he thought his senile old man had ruined his opportunity. "Relax" I said, he did not go far. We got down and looked at the blood trail. It looked pretty good, plenty of lung blood. I said lets go eat supper and give the bear a little time, then we will come back and find him.

We needed to hit the road the next morning, so we went to a restaurant and had a quick meal. When we got back, it was black out. You could not see anything without a light. A thought crossed my mind about two things I forgot to do. Bring a compass, and tell someone where we would be hunting.

Danny reached into the truck and got the shotgun out. I told him to put it back it was just one more thing to carry out of the woods while dragging the bear. Well, Danny did not get the Indian nick name of "Fears Coyotes" ( We will cover that in a future article) for no reason, and he quickly stated there was no way we were tracking a wounded bear without a gun, or I was going in alone. OK, scardy pants, bring your stupid gun, I told him. We picked up the trail, and soon I realized we were tracking a bit to far for the double lung shot I had thought the boy had made. The blood was heavy though, so we pushed on. After a while we followed the trail up a mound of dirt and found a hole on the top leading down into a cavern.

The blood trail went right into the hole, but we could not see down far enough to see if the bear was down there. One question. Why do I always get the short straw? Anyway, I crawled down there and found a little opening with a bloody bed in the middle of it, but no bear. I looked around and found a small opening leading out of the cavern with some blood smeared on the sides. We had a problem now. That great blood trail had gone away. By bedding down for a while, he had clotted up, and slowed the bleeding. Now the only blood we were finding was where the bear had rubbed his wound against the underbrush. It was not easy, but we were able to stay on his trail for quite awhile. Then, we get to an open area, where the trees have matured and blocked the sunlight from growing under brush. There was no trail to follow, we looked and looked but could no longer pick up any sign. I shined the flashlight around and noticed one tree that was a little raised up higher in the center of the open woods. I thought maybe we could see something from that tree. Yep, long shot, but, I was doing pretty good on the longshots up till now.

We get to the tree and I immediately smell a familiar odor. For those of you who have taken bear, you know what I mean. Bear have a distinct odor, what I was smelling was that odor... Up close! I started getting a weird feeling like I was being watched or something. Jr. said, Dad, you smell that? The light started flashing all over the place... But we couldn't see anything. I even looked in the tree above us. Nothing.

I was just starting to write it off as some weird swamp gas or something, when I looked down by my feet, which were entangled in a mess of the tree's nasty exposed roots, when I noticed one of the roots had a smear of blood on it. I bent over and touched it, making sure it was blood, and was quite surprised to find it very fresh and still wet, even the portion that was rubbed. I new the bear was close. I tried to look for another spot of blood, twisting around like a circus contortionist to look behind me while my rubber boots were somewhat stuck in the tree roots, and noticed a bushel basket sized hole in the ground leading into the roots.

Just as my flashlight hit the opening, I saw two green eyes shining back. In a flash the bear charged out of the hole which was only a footstep away. He was coming right at me!!! I tried to turn and run out of the way, but my feet got caught in the roots and down I went. My flash light sailed out of my hands, momentarily blinded, I could not see a thing. As I hit the ground, I spun around to face the bear and went for my knife. I felt the bear hit my feet coming right over the top of me, when suddenly and unexpectedly, the night exploaded with a loud KA-BOOM. As the flash of light from the shotgun blast lit up the night, I could see the bear at my feet coming at me, a sight I will never forget! One more KA-BOOM and it was over. The boys back up flashlight lit up the woods, the bear had retreated back down the hole.

The whole episode lasted only a few seconds, We stood there for a second trying to come back to reality.

Once I shook off the attack, I approached the hole, shining the light inside (This time Jr. was right there beside me with the shotgun) No bear in sight. We looked around and found another hole. We could not see the bear! Someone was going to have to climb down there and see if he was still alive. You guessed it... I drew the short straw! Well, since I had to go down there, I decided to wait till morning!! Well, sure enough he was dead in the morning.

We sure got some funny looks at registration when they noticed two plastic slug casings stuck into the bears hide along with some singed hair. I just said two words "Don't ask." Then on the way home Dan Jr., starts up, about how he "Saved his old mans life" and a bunch of crazy stuff about being a super hero. I quickly quieted the boy down, by explaining the only thing he saved, was that bear from getting "one serious kicking".

Pulling the bear out of the hole:

I was looking for the “poke the bear” video posted on the FB page and wondering if it was one of your videos Dan, when I came across this. Figured it was worth bumping for those who haven’t seen it!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:20 pm

I was maybe 12 years old, high in a tree, just about to get down after dark, and I heard an old lady circling my position about 75 yards out. She was screaming and just making awful noises. I sat tight until she wandered off away from me. It was the scariest moment ever.

That was the night I learned that bobcats sound like old ladies wandering around in the dark :lol:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:49 am

I got married once.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:23 am

2 seasons ago, MN archery opener. I heard some crashing behind me, i turn around to see a doe bust of of the thick stuff. I turned to my left to grab my bow, when i turned back there was a big timber wolf right on her tail. He heard me up in the stand as this was only a few yards away, he looked up at me then high tailed it off into the thick pines. I could see him standing there staring up at me, when another wolf came and circled around to the first one, then they made their way off in the direction the doe went (which was my exit trail). Didnt see anything else the rest of the sit. I climbed down after dark and proceeded to walk out. As i was crossing the swamp i thought i heard something so i stopped, didnt hear anything. This time i took one step then stopped. Thats when i heard the steps through the water on either side of me. The 2 wolves were following me out. With no sidearm ( like an idiot), I pulled out my knife, knowing my bow wasnt going to do me any good in close quarters in the dark. They followed me out all the way to the road. I havent gone bow hunting without my pistol since.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 am

Cchez wrote:2 seasons ago, MN archery opener. I heard some crashing behind me, i turn around to see a doe bust of of the thick stuff. I turned to my left to grab my bow, when i turned back there was a big timber wolf right on her tail. He heard me up in the stand as this was only a few yards away, he looked up at me then high tailed it off into the thick pines. I could see him standing there staring up at me, when another wolf came and circled around to the first one, then they made their way off in the direction the doe went (which was my exit trail). Didnt see anything else the rest of the sit. I climbed down after dark and proceeded to walk out. As i was crossing the swamp i thought i heard something so i stopped, didnt hear anything. This time i took one step then stopped. Thats when i heard the steps through the water on either side of me. The 2 wolves were following me out. With no sidearm ( like an idiot), I pulled out my knife, knowing my bow wasnt going to do me any good in close quarters in the dark. They followed me out all the way to the road. I havent gone bow hunting without my pistol since.

How far away were they from you as they followed you out??? Did you yell at them??? I heard several accounts of wolves following people out. I wonder why they do that? I sure hope this don't happen to me :?
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am

john1984 wrote:
Cchez wrote:2 seasons ago, MN archery opener. I heard some crashing behind me, i turn around to see a doe bust of of the thick stuff. I turned to my left to grab my bow, when i turned back there was a big timber wolf right on her tail. He heard me up in the stand as this was only a few yards away, he looked up at me then high tailed it off into the thick pines. I could see him standing there staring up at me, when another wolf came and circled around to the first one, then they made their way off in the direction the doe went (which was my exit trail). Didnt see anything else the rest of the sit. I climbed down after dark and proceeded to walk out. As i was crossing the swamp i thought i heard something so i stopped, didnt hear anything. This time i took one step then stopped. Thats when i heard the steps through the water on either side of me. The 2 wolves were following me out. With no sidearm ( like an idiot), I pulled out my knife, knowing my bow wasnt going to do me any good in close quarters in the dark. They followed me out all the way to the road. I havent gone bow hunting without my pistol since.

How far away were they from you as they followed you out??? Did you yell at them??? I heard several accounts of wolves following people out. I wonder why they do that? I sure hope this don't happen to me :?

I couldnt see them, but it was also dark. If i had to guess id say 30 yards or so. Close enough that i could hear them walking through the swamp on either side of me. No I didn't yell, i guess i didnt think of it at the time, i was more so trying to prepare myself for the worst i guess.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:04 pm

I've had a lot of different things go wrong and quite a few near misses while hunting. Anybody who was around to hunt from a Baker (Braker) knows what I'm talking about. But the scariest moment for me was waking up in a crusted puddle of my own blood, 20 feet lower than I had been a few minutes prior. The 6" diameter hackberry limb I had been standing on, while trimming a wayward limb, sheered off at the base of the tree. I fell 20 feet and lit on my R eye. When I came to, I literally had no clue as to where I was or how I had gotten there. I took off walking. I was lost. I could not for the life of me remember where I was. The fall had left me totally unfamiliar with the place I regularly hunted at the time. Finally I stumbled onto my 3 wheeler, that was sitting at the end of a farm lane. I remember when I cast my eyes upon that thing, it was like being in a vacuum. The next thing I remember is driving by my neighbor and waving at her in her front yard, 10 miles away. After I figured out where I had been and what had happened I went out to check on my huntin stuff. The 3 wheeler and ramps were loaded up and strapped in along with the rest of my gear. i have no recollection of going through those motions, but somehow I just did it. I was nearly a statistic. I'm still not really sure how I survived the fall. It tore me up pretty good. I accepted, long ago that I will never fully recover from some of the injuries I sustained that day. I also know that I am blessed to even be alive, much less be able to get out and hunt. As a side, things are a lot safer in the hunting woods these days. Hopefully along with knowledge bumps come a certain amount of wisdom. :shock:
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:25 am

When I was 62 I decided I should use a climber stand. I bought a API from a guy. I found a dynamite spot, and up I went. I went higher than I expected, since it worked so well, had to be at about 30 feet or so in this popple. I had a full harness as I climbed.

Did not secure the tether. At 5pm and its now dark, the bottom section drops out, and goes to the ground. There I sat. Now what?

I was lucky. Turned on headlamp. Being a former full time firemen and trained, I was good with ropes, so I had along a linemen belt. I secured that on me first. than unhooked my full harness, so I could move under and around my sit platform. screwing with that, it started to slide down, and then went about 15 feet and hung up.

I kind of shimmed down with the linemens belt...... got on the ground and kissed the earth.....

I was an hour from my truck in the woods of N Wisconsin, and no one had any idea, of where I was...... Today I always leave a message of where I am going
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:33 am

tundra@1 wrote:When I was 62 I decided I should use a climber stand. I bought a API from a guy. I found a dynamite spot, and up I went. I went higher than I expected, since it worked so well, had to be at about 30 feet or so in this popple. I had a full harness as I climbed.

Did not secure the tether. At 5pm and its now dark, the bottom section drops out, and goes to the ground. There I sat. Now what?

I was lucky. Turned on headlamp. Being a former full time firemen and trained, I was good with ropes, so I had along a linemen belt. I secured that on me first. than unhooked my full harness, so I could move under and around my sit platform. screwing with that, it started to slide down, and then went about 15 feet and hung up.

I kind of shimmed down with the linemens belt...... got on the ground and kissed the earth.....

I was an hour from my truck in the woods of N Wisconsin, and no one had any idea, of where I was...... Today I always leave a message of where I am going

I know that feeling and it’s not a good one. :doh:

Same thing happened to me and while I was pondering what to do I just relaxed and then took this pic.

BF088E73-3293-4BF6-97EB-71D2195A4608.jpeg

I was hunting a pretty remote area with no cell reception and nobody knew where I was.

Luckily I had my harness on. I was able to get out of the sitting position and stand on the bar of my seat platform. Took awhile but bear hugged the tree and went down the tree like an old Baker stand sliding my harness tether along the way. My arms were tore up when I got down but better than a broken neck. but puckering experience for sure. :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Dewey we have the same DNA,,, ha ha
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:51 pm

tundra@1 wrote:Dewey we have the same DNA,,, ha ha

That was the last time I ever used that stand. Bad part is I had the rope tied between the two sections but the knot came undone when it pulled tight as it fell. :doh:
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:47 am

Reviving this thread, I posted a different thread not knowing this one was here.

Another story,
It was 2000 and the last weekend of the MN rifle season, I made it up to our cabin that sits on 80 acres if land that has the BWCA on 2 sides of it. The cabin sits 5 miles off a forest service road that is 18 miles long in the middle of the echo trail. It usually takes us an hour to hour and a half to cover the 5 miles on four wheelers, this year all of the low spots were frozen solid so I made it in half an hour. Saturday my step dad, younger brother and I woke up early and all headed out together to get in our stands, as we were walking down the trail we were crossing the clear cut when we bumped a decent 8 pointer (right at legal light). I was able to get a shot at it and took my first buck. We got him dressed out and dragged back to the cabin. Now that I had the rest of the day and the following Sunday to help my step dad get the buck he shot a day earlier out of the woods. His buck was 2 miles as the crow flies from the cabin, we could take a snowmobile right to it on an old logging winter road, the problem was that when ever we crossed a low spot the swamp grass was so thick that it would get stuck on the skies, so I would walk ahead of the snowmobile and clear a path. It took close to 2 hours to get back to his buck, but we made it. We took pictures and loaded it on the sled we were towing, for what ever reason my step dad said he know a short cut that we could take so off we went. Soon we came up to a beaver dam that was maybe 4' tall on the other side you could tell it was frozen water for 40 yards the the swamp grass and dead logs started, we decided that I would walk the edge of the dam and my step dad would go up and over the dam, across the ice and I'd get back on, on the other side. Easy enough so I start walking the dam and he takes off trying to get enough momentum incase the ice broke. He came flying over the dam and hit the ice and it actually held, that is until the sled came down with the deer and broke through, all I remember is standing there on the dam, seeing the snowmobile and sled sinking with my step dad riding it down. Thankfully it was only 5-1/2' deep or so, and after a few very persuasive words I slid to the edge of the ice and jumped in to help get everything out, I had to stand on a log to keep my head above water, but we managed to get the sled unhooked and pushed up onto the ice, then the deer and finally the snowmobile. We both crawled out of the water, soaking wet I dumped the water out of my rubber boots, we are about a mile from the cabin as the crow flies, the problem is i have no idea where we are, but thankfully my step dad knows the land like the back of his hand.

He just looks at me and says "We need to get moving or we're going to freeze to death, follow me" we take off cross country through bogs and clear cuts, it doesn't take long and I can't feel my feet or hands anymore, we both are talking to each other and slurring our speech and tripping over sticks and logs. I felt like we're walking forever and it's getting to the point I can no longer feel anything from my knees down or my arms, we're both just fumbling along, until finally we come out on the trail no more than 100 yards from the cabin. I still have no idea how we got there or how we found that cabin, but I can only describe it as God didn't want us to die that day. We stumbled in to the cabin, and get a raging fire going in the fireplace and shed our frozen cloths as quickly as possible. luckily neither one of us had severe frostbite and fully recovered, but that was the closest I came to dying. We did go back the next day and get his buck and pulled the snowmobile into the cabin to dry out.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:56 am

Wow... that’s a wild one BRoth. :shock:
----------
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:02 am

One night I was trout fishing on a beaver dam about a 1/2 mile off the road. It's a really thick swamp you have to wade into. I cut a trail into the dam with a machete. I had a great night. Caught about 15 or so brook trout. I had 4 on my stringer and was just throwing them back. I was about ready to pack up and I heard some splashing behind me. I thought it was a Game Warden or another person at first. I stepped off the dam and looked back my trail and about 30 yrds away was about a 300lb black bear. It pretty much filled the trail I came in on. I started yelling and it backed off to about 40 yards and just stood there. I threw a couple rocks but it really didn't care. I packed up everything and pulled out my Glock 9mm. I kept it at low ready and made my way out yelling at this bear. I had to walk right toward it since it was the only way out. Eventually he backed off a little more, right in the direction I needed to go. I followed him up the hill out of the swamp to the trail I came in on. It was still hanging within 30 yards but finally turned and walked away. So now it's starting to get dark and I have about a 20 min walk out to my truck. At this point I wasn't really that worried since the bear walked off but I kept my gun in hand anyway just in case. I got about 200 yrds from my truck and I heard a branch break behind me. When I turned around the bear was running right at me. It reminded me of my dog bringing back a ball. I started yelling right away and it stopped. It turned just a little bit but kept coming in my direction. It was maybe 20 yrds away. I thought about dropping my fish but I didn't want to train this thing to expect food. I figured the best thing would be to shoot into the base of a tree and see if it ran off. At this point, if it didn't run and kept coming I was going to shoot it in the face. Luckily as soon as I shot it took off as expected. I never encountered a bear that was this comfortable around people. I have them around the house and have seen quite a few out hunting. I think one of the local cabins might have been feeding it. It was actually a really cool experience. Got the heart pumping pretty good. I can't even imagine what it would be like with a Grizzly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”