What was your scariest moment.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: What was your scariest moment.....

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Bump

There are some great stories here!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:38 pm

I was walking across a marsh/floating bog and I punched through. One arm pit caught the vegetation on the way down. After a minute of panic, I was able to work my other arm out and start working my way out. It took a long time to get out and I was freezing by the time I got out of that hole. I got back to the truck as soon as I could, stripped down to nothing, put on some dry clothes and blasted the heat. I haven't been through that spot since that day.
MnHunter

Unread postby MnHunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:13 pm

My dad, older brother, his son, my younger brother, and I were scouting a property together... We had drove the truck through a ditch and parked in a hay field on the property. We left the property which was down a long dirt road, which went down a steep hill to the 4 lane highway. As we were getting to the bottom of the hill/stop sign my brother pushed the breaks and yelled... We have no breaks! My dad told him to quit joking around and he screamed WE HAVE NO BREAKS! As we got to the bottom of the hill and to the highway my brother slammed his arm across all of us as he figured we were surely going to get hit crossing the 4 lane highway... We ended up flying across 4 lanes of a highway, almost getting t boned by a dump truck before getting to the other side. As soon as we were across the highway the brakes worked... It was a miracle and act of god we made it across that highway without being hit. Every one of our boys in the family was in that truck that day.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Kinda more funny than scary, but it gave me a near heart attack. Camping with some friends on a friend's land, got out of the tent early that morning to take a leak. Barely enough light as the sun was about to rise in an hour or so. I walked under a pine canopy and started to let it fly and I heard some commotion in front of me. Then I see a silhouutte of some sort of critter moving really fast back and forth, then straight toward me. I turn around and run still peeing. Jeeeeeezus, what the **** is that!!!!!! Two of my buddies crawl out of their tents with flash lights all freakin out as to what I was freakin out about. Turns out it was an almost newborn fawn trying to make friends with me. Weird thing is, it never left our little camp area until later in the morning. It kinda hung out running around in the brush around our tents. Never saw momma. Cute little bugger.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm

2 words "Blair Witch" :pray:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:32 am

olivertractor wrote:2 words "Blair Witch" :pray:

:lol: Came in to post about the Blair Witch. When I was 12 my Dad thought it would be funny to take me to see Blair Witch and take me hunting the next morning. He had already seen it so he knew about the bundles of sticks tied with peices of bandana. He had a bundle of sticks waiting for me when I crawled into my stand in the dark. :lol: It seemed like forever before the sun finally started to rise that morning.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:02 am

We had a cat that hung out in our campsite during MN gun season. I believe it was the owners of the campsite, a very friendly cat that had no front claws. It would sleep right against our tent at night for the warmth I'm guessing and for cover as we had a tarp overhanging the tent too. So the cat was probably 6 inches to a foot from me as my coot was against the tent wall.
The third night I am in a deep sleep and wake up to the cat hissing at something. About 3 seconds later what ever it was hissing at decides to attack it. This causes my coot to shake as the cat and this other animal are fighting for about 10 seconds. I can laugh at it now, but when I woke up in a dead sleep and have my coot shaking and a lot of fighting inches from you, well let me tell you my heart never pounded so hard in my life. My brother in law was in the tent and was frightened too but he was on the opposite side of the tent. At first I thought it was some animal trying to break through the tent and get me :shock: .... We never saw the cat again and there was a bunch of white hair scattered around from the cat.....
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 am

JRM6868 wrote:Scariest moment I had wasn't animal related but stand related. If any of you have hunted out of the old baker stands you will understand. I was climbing up a tree in one and got 20' up and I turned around and the stand slid about 16' down and I fell out at 4'. I'm so glad they don't make those stands anymore.

I was nearly killed by an old baker the sames way, I still have scars from that incident. I was facing the tree when it happened to me.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 am

Schultzy- may be time to start carrying two flashlights and a set of batteries!

These stories are great, makes me realize all the "adventures" I have been missing out on.

The most scared I ever was was as a first year deer hunter sneaking in to my stand before dark, scared to begin with, and flushing a grouse a few feet away. Pretty sure I didn't see any deer that day due to my "odor" problem.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:44 am

My scariest moment was in November 2012. I decided I was going to sit in a hang on that I hadn't yet sat in during the five or so years I'd hunted this particular property. When I got to the base of the tree, I remember looking all the way up and thinking, "Man, this is a high one." So, I climbed into the stand and instantly put my harness tether around the tree, as I always do. I remember it was raining that morning and my stand was overlooking a fairly steep ridge...making it feel like I was 40 feet up. I was probably around 20-25 feet up in reality. I got situated and sat down. Decided I wanted to stand up so I could be ready for anything approaching from behind me when I heard a loud "PING!" echo through the woods. I instantly wrapped my left arm over a big branch to my left to hang on, as it didn't sound good. I very slowly turned around to look at the stand only to see the chain swinging back and forth against the tree. Oh crap. After thinking, "What do I do??" I decided to attempt to somehow secure the chain, but it was no use as the bracket on the stand was bent backwards. The only thing holding the stand up was the fact that the chain had grown into the back of the tree over the years. After a brief moment of trying to figure out what to do and slightly wiggling the stand with my feet to test how "sturdy" the stand was, I decided to attempt to lower my bow to the ground. After successfully lowering my bow, I stepped off the stand onto a big branch below the platform. Only problem was I could not reach high enough to release my tether from the tree. Stupid as it may be, I climbed back onto the stand to lower the tether enough so I could reach it from the big branch. After stepping back onto the branch, I removed the tether and carefully climbed down the tree. What a relief when my feet finally touched the ground. I looked back up at the stand, chain dangling to the side and replayed what just happened over in my head. I had to thank my guardian angel for watching over me that day.

This story is a great example of why you should hunt mobile. You can more easily inspect your stand on a regular basis and you know each and every time you hunt that your stand is secure to the tree. Don't trust old stands that haven't been properly safety checked. Another huge factor in this story is the fact that I did have my safety harness on. Had I decided not to wear it, I think my pants would have had at least double the amount of soil in them and had the stand fell completely out of the tree, I could have been seriously injured or killed. However, had the chain broke as I was climbing onto the platform, the outcome of the story may not have been so great. I am pretty fortunate that didn't happen. I must say that knowing I had my harness on helped me stay calm, but I didn't want to find out how well the harness actually worked all the same.

Good luck and safe hunting to all of you. Please wear your safety harness. Thanks.
ScoutHuntShed

Unread postby ScoutHuntShed » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:49 am

When I was 14 I was late season bow hunting with a good buddy of my dad. There were two stands that we decided to hunt one evening. We hunted these spots regularly and would walk together until the trail split at a big oak. At quitting time I climbed down and proceeded to the big oak to wait for him. By the time I got to the oak it was pretty dark. I leaned up against the tree to wait for him. I didn't realize he was already there and leaning on the other side of the tree. All of a sudden he leaned out from his side of the tree and asked "Did you see anything?".
Having no idea he was there I froze and felt like I was going to have a heart attack. He thought I knew he was there so he kinda freaked out and asked if I was OK and what was wrong. It took me a few seconds to catch my breath and then we had a good laugh. That was 27 years ago and we still laugh about it every once in a while.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Bump

Figure we could get some good stories out the new members.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:00 am

Lol, these are great. No matter how manly you think you are, theres always something out there that will keep you on your toes.

I was bowhunting elk in Colorado on a DIY hunt with a friend and fortunately for me I killed my bull on day 3 so my final days were spent calling for him. 2 days after killing my bull, we were perched in a big opening surrounded by oakbrush at the military crest looking into a steep canyon. I was working a HUGE 4X4, still can't believe to this day how big that elk was but anyways, he bugled constantly, ripped up every tree in his path and I was getting it all on video. He was still 1/2 mile or more away acrossed the canyon but it was one of those situations where you almost feel you've already got him in the back of the truck and headed home before you actually release the arrow. As he closed the distance Out of the blue this "sure thing" just stopped bugling, we lost sight of him and could no longer hear him period. Couldn't figure out why. Soon tho, it was apparent as 2 cinnamon phase cubs popped outta the brush just 8 feet to my left. I was an idiot and got caught up in the moment seeing cubs that close and in cinnamon phase that I just grabbed the camera and started videoing them. They were curious about me but they moved on about 15 feet in front of me and thats when I realized how stupid I was and that where theres cubs, momma aint far behind. Sure as poop stinks I turned around and not 40 feet behind me was mom staring bullets thru me(or so I thought). I grabbed my pistol and was prepared to shoot the bear in self defense if it came to that. Mom stood up on her back legs for probably 15 seconds(in my world it was a good 3 hours) and then there was some crashing in the brush off to my right. When the crashing started the cubs took off and she calmly got back on all 4's and walked off. Turns out my buddy was on his way out of his spot just around the bend from me and thats what scared them off. Still to this day I don't know how that situation would've turned out but I don't think I would've been on the losing end. Even tho I don't believe mom seen me as I had a really thick bush I was sitting against that was directly between me and her but I feel she eventually would've picked me out, gobbled me up and left me a a steamy scat pile somewhere in the Uncompaghre National Forrest
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

I've had a lot of mishaps and bad moves on my part through the years. But the only time I recall being scared of my own safety happened in 2012. It was late October I was scouting a property I have never stepped foot on. My goal was to scout that morning for a good ambush point and hunt until dark. I was scouting along mid morning when I got to a dried up creek, the top was crusted but new I would sink a lil but a lil turned out to be chest deep in slop! Figured oh well I'm already this far might as well cross, so I push on with bow above my head. As a near the far bank I hear something. Then right at eye level mere feet infront of me I see giant eyeballs under a overhang of creek bank. It was a giant hog, 400 lbs atleast and looked hungry. It stared at me and grawled for minutes the sprung out of there like a rocket right at me then just a moment b4 Impact he took a hard left on the dry bank. I believe I turned around and went back home I had all the excitement I could handle for one day and there wasn't no way I was crossing that sucker again in the dark!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

Non hunting related when I was 15 I was bit on my foot by a small copperhead in my front yard I was walking back after getting the mail.

My parents were at work over 40 miles away. I was home alone.

The pain was excruciating I passed out after about half a hour. Really thought I was going to die it felt as if I was on fire from the inside out. After 4 days the pain slowed and took me 3 weeks to fully recover.

Hunting related

I was now hunting in October it was about 1pm on a hot day I was walking to my stand through a pine thicket and had a 4 foot Cottonmouth strike my Rocky snake boot.

I freaked out and ran 20 yards away my boots had venom bubbles all over my right boot. This really scared me lucky the boots saved my life. That boot sits in my room forever where the venom was is still noticible.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”