What was your scariest moment.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: What was your scariest moment.....

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Poked a sleeping bear in a den with a stick right in rump...it flinched and made a funny noise and I took off running.

Went coyote hunting and we had to cross a cow pasture. We had the snow camo on and it was dark so they could barely see us. We were walking out (3 of us), my buddy and his brother were a few steps ahead of me as the cows were walking closer I said "do we run?" they said "no we are fine keep walking". Then the cows start trotting, again "hey guys do we run?" again "no its fine we are almost to the gate keep walking". Now the cows are at full tilt forming a half circle to surround us. My eyes are locked on the cows. Again I ask "okay guys do we run yet?"...wait for a response...."guys do we run yet?"....no response...look up they are already 20yards ahead of me almost to the cable gate...I take off sprinting and they are yelling at me to run faster...that was probably the scariest.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

getting in the way of two angry fellas and their bait piles in late season 1987. I was 12. I guess they forgot they were hunting public land?? Its not nice to point pistols at people!!! Thought my Dad and uncle were gonna get whacked!! Never forget that!! Man was I cold too! That's back when we used to have cold and snow up to your boys!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 am

Marked for later, headed to the eastern show. Ill put a couple on here later.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 am

Scariest for me was hunting is SE MN I put my climber on one of those shaggy bark hickory trees, I climbed to about 25 feet and was getting situated when the bottom of the stand fell to the base of the tree...I was stuck up there. The tree was to big around to tree to shimmy down. I ended up climbing on top of my seat part of the stand and jumped to a smaller tree a few feet away and climbed down that one...
Most painful was when I was climbing the branches on a big white pine to get into my stand, I reached around the tree to grab a branch and felt a god awful pain in my hand, I managed to grab a hold of a porcupine and got 3 quills in my hand...that hurt bad, ut really hurt the next day, couldn't hold my bow for a week.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 am

Did a solo backpack elk hunt high in the Maroon Bells Wilderness of Colorado a long time ago. I was camped high over a 12500 foot pass on a ridge above a good basin I was hunting 2nd week of Sep. Truck was parked at about 10000 feet other side of pass about 4 miles from camp. One afternoon late the wind picked up and a storm moved in. Small tent was tucked in between a small circle of brush stunted pine growth on an otherwise open ridge above timberline. I hunkered down in m sleeping bag for thw whole next da and night until it passed. I was luck m tent held with gale force winds and snow. Woke up that 2nd am to beaufiful sunn skies but about a foot of snow and ten degrees. Packed up and headed towards pass some 700 feet above me and no longer a trail to follow. Got to pass and had to fight thru 3-4 foot drifts to get down to ridge trail on other side of pass which headed to m truck at trailhead. A couple hours later there was less than 2 inches snow and great weather. Taught me an important lesson in respect for the extreme climate change that can occur at high elevations. I was thankful to have been well enough prepared to make it out. There was some luck involved with that all said and done.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Two seasons ago rifle hunting Sunday morning of opening weekend in WI county forestland. In set up in a new spot below a bank and overlooking a marshy open area, behind me were thick scrub oaks. About 7 am I glance to my right where there was a bend in the bank, 2 huge Gray wolves come trotting right toward me in a line along the edge of the bank. I stood up from my seat on the ground, they see me and run off. Ten minutes later the second of the 2 comes back for a second look, I got up and hollered at it to get outta here and concerned that other went to the other side of me as a decoy. I decided to go for a walk.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 am

I was bowhunting Buffalo county back in '04 on my uncle's piece of land. He never hunted it, and sold it the very next spring. :twisted: Grrr. :twisted: Anyways. We camped on the side of the road 7 weekends in a picked bean field, a good long ways from where we hunted. One morning while sitting in my stand it hit me like a ton of bricks. I got the splatter CENSORED. Half hunched and cross legged, 15ft up in the air, and I think i am about to fill my shorts with evil. When the first "wave" passed I tried to scramble to get down from my stand before the next one hit. I got about 2 screw pegs down and it hit again. I am stuck to the tree, clinging to it like a squirrel with "stay together cheeks", biting my lip, hoping this isn't about to happen.

"Ok it passed, you have plenty of time to get down befor the next one hits... Oh wait... nope."

On the bottom rung, the ground 2 ft down and I can't get there. Bear hugging the tree with all my muscles tensed I had to look like a fool. But I wasn't going to lose this battle. Not with one more day of hunting to go especailly. Unfortunately my body and my brain were not agreeing at all so the stint on the bottom rung lasted the longest. I will report that I won the good fight, but barely. I rushed to a down log and blew that woods up like a daisey cutter. I believe the shock wave scared them all off.

We didn't see any deer the rest of the weekend.

That was a scary 10 mins. One of my worst.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:22 am

Kodiakman wrote:I was bowhunting Buffalo county back in '04 on my uncle's piece of land. He never hunted it, and sold it the very next spring. :twisted: Grrr. :twisted: Anyways. We camped on the side of the road 7 weekends in a picked bean field, a good long ways from where we hunted. One morning while sitting in my stand it hit me like a ton of bricks. I got the splatter CENSORED. Half hunched and cross legged, 15ft up in the air, and I think i am about to fill my shorts with evil. When the first "wave" passed I tried to scramble to get down from my stand before the next one hit. I got about 2 screw pegs down and it hit again. I am stuck to the tree, clinging to it like a squirrel with "stay together cheeks", biting my lip, hoping this isn't about to happen.

"Ok it passed, you have plenty of time to get down befor the next one hits... Oh wait... nope."

On the bottom rung, the ground 2 ft down and I can't get there. Bear hugging the tree with all my muscles tensed I had to look like a fool. But I wasn't going to lose this battle. Not with one more day of hunting to go especailly. Unfortunately my body and my brain were not agreeing at all so the stint on the bottom rung lasted the longest. I will report that I won the good fight, but barely. I rushed to a down log and blew that woods up like a daisey cutter. I believe the shock wave scared them all off.

We didn't see any deer the rest of the weekend.

That was a scary 10 mins. One of my worst.

That's good stuff right there! :clap:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:29 am

Hunting in a snow storm where the snow was coming down so hard it was deafening.

I was pushing through the thick stuff trying to jump some deer on posted land.
I made my way into a hemlock stand of timber
- once I broke inside I was face to face with a hunter and his muzzle pointed at my chest!

I jumped back and when I caught my breath and looked up he had turned and quickly walked away in the opposite direction.

Tried to get him to stop, but he knew he was on posted land...
Talk about needing to change your undergarment :angry-cussingblack:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:47 am

All joking aside now.

The real scariest moment was in Colorado, elk hunting in 98. I was along for the ride and just did anything I was told to do. Out of high school and wanting to fit in, I did what they wanted to do and kept my mouth shut. So we went along a utility line and about every 500-700yds one guy dropped off and at X time everyone would start walking compass bearing Y until you hit the big meadow. Which was like 4+ miles away. A nice 3 hour elk drive through wooded "hills" to finish off the day. OK. I can read a compass just fine, I don't like the idea of walking terrain that I have never seen before without have at least eye site of another one of our party. Whatever, I'll do it anyways, won't be very hard. Halfway through the drive I am coming to the summit of one of their "hills" (its a fricking mountain in my book and ain't no hill) grumbling along I pick my head up from the dirt and low and behold, what is sleeping in the sun on a rock pile infront of me.... but........ a effing Mountain Lion, 10yds away and a head on it like a basketball.

I stopped, wide eyed. My heart went into my throat. I believe I said "Holy ^%*" outloud. I had no idea what to do. I didn't even bring my rifle up. This is a critter I never expected to see anywhere. Ever. The thought of bumping into one was commical and brushed aside. Now here I am almost nose to nose with this thing, in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest help might be half a mile away depending on how fast they walked. I just stood there staring at it waiting to see what it would do. I didnt' wait long. I am sure the real time frame was about 3 seconds but it felt like 2 minutes. It merely picked it's head up, looked right at me, strecthed it's front legs quick, and turned around and went behind the rock pile.

NOW WHAT!!?? Where is this thing?? Where did it go??

I waited about ten minutes before I went up to the rocks, knife unbuckled and rifle in shoulder with the safety off. I circled that rock pile about three times hoping to see some kind of sign as to where it went, if it is still around. Is it following me now?? Paranoid, I know, but I didn't want Kodiak carpacio to be on the menu. The rest of the walk to the meadow was tense, thinking because it was a cat, is this guy going to stalk me now?? I was chekcing my back nonstop. Turns out no of course, and in a hour or so one of the guys jumps a couple of cows off a shaded hill and sounded like his own fire team with the amount of lead he was flinging. Never got a elk but I was pretty relieved to finally run into somone from our party and let them know what I just saw. Don't know what happened to that Big Cat and I really don't care. That's the last time I want to see one up close and personal.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
hammered 16

Unread postby hammered 16 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:09 am

Last year while gun hunting a nice buck was ont in the middle of a field I was getting ready to shoot when across the field some one else started shooting and he shot 4 time and twice he hit the tree right next to me

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:49 pm

A few years ago I shot an old dry sow that was aged at 16 years old at weighed 350 pounds. I shot her between the eyes and she went down right there. A buddy of mine and I eached grabbed a front paw and started to drag her away from the bait pile. While we were dragging we bumped her chest against a log. She hadnt done the death moan, so when she hit that log out came the air from her lungs and it sounded like she growled. Needless to say my friend and his dad were :lol: when I jumped almost out of my skin. :oops:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 am

2 story's.

[glow=red]Story number 1[/glow]- In 2004 I went to Montana on an elk hunt by myself. I wasn't hunting huge mountains but rather smaller ones. Anyhow I was a good 3 miles (2 hours) from camp trying to get on some elk as hunting was tough. I decided It was time to head back as It was starting to get dark. I looked at my compass and went In the direction It told me to go. On the walk back stuff didn't look the same as when I came In. I stopped and looked at my compass again. I said no way should I be going this way back. Dad always told me to never doubt your compass so I kept going the direction It said. Finally an hour later I knew something wasn't right so I stopped again. I looked at my compass again and this time It said I was going 180 degree's In the opposite direction. I knew It then that my compass had screwed up. I put the compass In my pocket as I knew It was junk and that I couldn't trust It anymore. 10 minutes or so later my flashlight takes a crap. I then started shitting my pants but held my cool. I went off of pure Instincts on getting out trying to find my way back. 4.5 hours later I ended back up at camp. Funny thing was I ran Into more elk sign trying to find my way back without a flash light then I had found for elk sign the previous 3 days In the day light. The next day I looked at my compass real close. It would stick In a spot at times (the needle). 25 years I had used this compass. My dad had gave It to me when I turned 11 years old.

[glow=red]Story number 2[/glow]- Not sure on the year but I think It was 2005. I was bear hunting In northern Minnesota. I was hunting a bait that had a potential B&C bear hitting this bait. I finally had the right wind to hunt this bait so In I went on the 3/4 mile tract In the woods. 1/2 hour before dark I hear him circle me as big bear do allot of times. He got down wind of me I'm guessing 80 yards and started chopping his teeth and smacking his lips together giving me heck as he could smell me. I never did see him. It finally got dark so I crawled down the tree on the walk out. I went to turn my flashlight on and nothing as the bulb burnt out after being on not even a second. I thought damn this Is going to be a hard walk out being you can't see 10 feet In front of your nose In the day light. I took 3 steps down the walk out trail and that's when I heard the bear again. He chopped his teeth like he did before but this time I'm thinking he was maybe 15 yards away, probably more like 10 yards. I stopped and then decided that wasn't a good Idea so I kept walking where I thought the walk out trail was. I heard him breaking small little branches walking along side of me. Still he was chopping his teeth at me. This went on for probably 60 yards. Don't ask me how but I held my cool pretty dang good. Some how I made the walk out without going off of the trail too far. Once I hit the road where I was getting picked up I flushed a roosting grouse that was In a pine tree. I damn near myself!! Me and flashlights have been going at It for 10 years now. I have the worst of luck.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:29 am

Hunting public land during shotgun season and having slugs breaking branches above my head. :shock:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 am

UntouchableNess wrote:Hunting public land during shotgun season and having slugs breaking branches above my head. :shock:

I've been there before too many times but Instead I was on private ground (my dads) and the bullets were coming from the neighbors land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”