How many need a visual?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you start your season with a visual of a good buck?

I always start my season with a visual of a good target buck on my ground.
13%
I like to start my season with a visual of a good buck, but don't NEED one and I consistently take good bucks.
18%
I don't need a visual. I'm content to hunt good sign and consistently take big bucks without a visual on one.
20%
I don't usually have a visual, but don't consistently kill big bucks.
16%
I don't use visual scouting methods (trail cam, shining, glassing). I feel they do more harm than good.
9%
I would feel ill prepared going into the season without a visual of a good buck on my hunting grounds.
24%

Total votes: 55
NatureBoy
500 Club

How many need a visual?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:05 am

I screwed up my other post with a long winded question, so I'll try again with a short one:

How many of you start off the season with a visual (pictures, have spotted one glassing or shining etc.) of at least one nice buck that you want to hunt on your hunting grounds? Please explain.

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
moondoondude
500 Club

Re: How many need a visual?

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:03 am

I always got one to go after on the opener, and it's usually a set-up where I have visual proof of a buck doing something in daylight.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

moondoondude wrote:I always got one to go after on the opener, and it's usually a set-up where I have visual proof of a buck doing something in daylight.

Thanks moondoondude! That gets us off to a good start...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 am

I have had quite a few years with a visual. Before the trail cameras it was much tougher. I mean, you can be getting visuals when it's too stinking hot to be out and about. I like to have a couple of target bucks even if I don't get them. If you can, I believe it could hinder your success not to.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:17 am

I have the cameras running and usually get some decent bucks on them to target for season
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 am

I either don't have the skill or the type of terrain to get that visual, meaning physically by eye.
However I will do everything I can to get a good buck on camera giving me the confidence and patience to sit tight in an area.
Trying to learn his "pattern" or "home territory" takes some time.

Best advice for me is a visual by someone else almost hitting a deer on the roadway!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:57 am

I definately don't need a visual. I'm confident knowing I've chosen an area that has all the ingredients for a big buck to be there. I love seeing, and setting up on hot sign. I like the idea of being surprised at what may come out. "target" bucks are a relatively new thing in the deer hunting world, mainly started by trail cams.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:38 am

I usually have a few target bucks but unfortunately I rarely see them while on stand. Every buck I have shot was the first time I ever laid an eye on him. I generally know good bedding areas and hunt near them but I never really know what buck will show himself on any particular day.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:22 am

What I want to kill and whats actually there too kill rarely cross paths. Ive had times where I thought that id seen every buck on a property and none of them made me say "WOW". Ive had years where I found a "WOW" and usually someone else saw that deer slip up and told the whole world then that deer vanishes.

You know its not good when you see a buck and think "WOW" and no one is ever out there scouting and suddenly it looks like the fair gates just opened.

Ive thought I was after deer that someone took and I never heard about. Ive passed decent deer to wait for a bigger deer without knowing a bigger one exists.

As I age, I am just happy to be outside period. I dont wanna hear the phone, the baby, someone with a broken computer. I like silence. I would hunt if there were no deer and I only had squirrels, I just wouldnt hunt deer.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 am

I need a visual unless hunting out of state... Then I rely on experience and sign

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:39 am

I can't remember a year that I have not had good bucks I was watching going into hunting season. Usually a couple dozen I am watching with bino's or spotlight. But that don't mean I can't or don't hunt spots where I don't have a visual... Especially on road trips.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 am

i like having a visual but by no means need one. my tried and true spots i never set foot on til the day i go in to hunt it. many of them there is no good way to get a visual besides trail cams and im not real big on using them besides in my urban areas. i like to be surprised by what shows up.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:05 am

Very interesting! Thanks guys for your responses!!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:09 am

I try my hardest to get a visual on a shooter every year. If I dont get one on camera or through scouting then I really dont hunt much, just keep scouting until I find something kill worthy.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 am

On northwoods public I never have a visual. I'm constantly scouting til I find where a good one is during season. If I ain't confident there is no reason to hunt that spot. With populations so low now where I hunt, you can spend many fruitless days on stand. You gotta be in the game to have a shot...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”