When to hunt on the ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: When to hunt on the ground

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Wow those are some great ground bucks!

I arrowed my first deer from the ground this year. The entire experience just felf different than hunting in a tree. I arrowed the doe at about 20 yards.

I was on a fenceline with good brush and a big oak tree in front of me which I used for cover to draw back. The doe didnt have a clue. She was feeding on picked corn. After I shot her, right at dark I had a buck walk literally 10 feet from me. I could hear him breathing. It was a great experience.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 pm

I hunt from the ground more than I do from a stand. Just as others have said, front and back cover a great, however with a ghuile suit or a leafy suit, front cover isnt always a must. Face mask and gloves are a given when on the ground. Most of the mature bucks here won't pass a huntable tree once the season starts. Most of the time, the mature bucks change their bedding area once the army of bow hunters invade the woods 2 weeks prior to the opener. Bucks are then forced to bed where they have to, not always where they want to. This makes a difference in setting up on them. As far as chairs go, I started out hunting from cheap $15-$25 chairs and missed numerous opportunities because of the restrictions they have in rotation and comfort. I met Scott from Huntmore in 2008 at the deer and turkey expo in Grand Rapids Michigan, and loved the chair, just had sticker shock. A year or so later, we started attending a different church, and met Scott again. I finally took the plunge and haven't spent a single second regretting it. I highly recommend these chairs for their comfort, rotation, adjustability and the confidence I have while hunting from it.
I still hunt from my Lone Wolf, and love that as well. Hunting from the ground is just another trick in my bag for doing what it takes to hunt them where they are. Yes it is higher in difficulty, but the rush is also more intense too. Just as other tactics, it has its place and time, just dependent upon what the target buck is doing and how he is living. I too would rather hunt them from a tree, but where I hunt, most of the time, I have to be on the ground because the buck won't go past huntable trees in daylight hours.
I will not hunt out of a pop up because of its lack of mobility, restrictions in vision and the fact that deer just don't care for them. Gun season is a whole different story. Pop up ground blinds require that you leave them there well in advance. Even on private, if you leave ANYTHING in the woods, some loser will steal it. I will post some pics of my ground kills when I fire up the computer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:14 am

dirt nap giver wrote:Just as others have said, front and back cover a great, however with a ghuile suit or a leafy suit, front cover isnt always a must.

Yea, if you want to just walk in and hunt a brand new spot and not worry about cover, a gillie suit will let you sit down just about anywhere with zero prep. I don't deer hunt with one but do use one for bow turkey hunting. The closest I have come to touching a deer was turkey hunting with a ghillie suit...a big mature doe came nosing around within 8 feet completely unaware. I could hear her chewing her cud. :shock:
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 am

That is cool Joe. I have heard that if needed, branches brush and whatever else is natural to surroundings can be added to further the ghillies blending ability.

I will say they are hot to wear, and pick up any ground sticks/leaves very easy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Maple_Ridge wrote:That is cool Joe. I have heard that if needed, branches brush and whatever else is natural to surroundings can be added to further the ghillies blending ability.

I will say they are hot to wear, and pick up any ground sticks/leaves very easy.

Can you shoot a bow while wearing a gillie without to much trouble. I worry about the stuff hanging off interfering with the string and cams.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:49 pm

dan wrote:
Maple_Ridge wrote:That is cool Joe. I have heard that if needed, branches brush and whatever else is natural to surroundings can be added to further the ghillies blending ability.

Can you shoot a bow while wearing a gillie without to much trouble. I worry about the stuff hanging off interfering with the string and cams.

Dan I use the Bush rag mark Anthony Guillie jacket. It's designed for the bowhunter. No stringy material in the problem spots. I use it a lot. Guillie pants not needed and more of a pain. Check it out.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:50 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
dan wrote:

Dan I use the Bush rag mark Anthony Guillie jacket. It's designed for the bowhunted. No stringy material in the problem spots. I use it a lot. Guillie pants not needed and more of a pain. Check it out.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Dan I use the Bush rag mark Anthony Guillie jacket. It's designed for the bowhunted. No stringy material in the problem spots. I use it a lot. Guillie pants not needed and more of a pain. Check it out.

Thanks! 8-)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:00 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:I hunt from the ground more than I do from a stand. Just as others have said, front and back cover a great, however with a ghuile suit or a leafy suit, front cover isnt always a must. Face mask and gloves are a given when on the ground. Most of the mature bucks here won't pass a huntable tree once the season starts. Most of the time, the mature bucks change their bedding area once the army of bow hunters invade the woods 2 weeks prior to the opener. Bucks are then forced to bed where they have to, not always where they want to. This makes a difference in setting up on them. As far as chairs go, I started out hunting from cheap $15-$25 chairs and missed numerous opportunities because of the restrictions they have in rotation and comfort. I met Scott from Huntmore in 2008 at the deer and turkey expo in Grand Rapids Michigan, and loved the chair, just had sticker shock. A year or so later, we started attending a different church, and met Scott again. I finally took the plunge and haven't spent a single second regretting it. I highly recommend these chairs for their comfort, rotation, adjustability and the confidence I have while hunting from it.
I still hunt from my Lone Wolf, and love that as well. Hunting from the ground is just another trick in my bag for doing what it takes to hunt them where they are. Yes it is higher in difficulty, but the rush is also more intense too. Just as other tactics, it has its place and time, just dependent upon what the target buck is doing and how he is living. I too would rather hunt them from a tree, but where I hunt, most of the time, I have to be on the ground because the buck won't go past huntable trees in daylight hours.
I will not hunt out of a pop up because of its lack of mobility, restrictions in vision and the fact that deer just don't care for them. Gun season is a whole different story. Pop up ground blinds require that you leave them there well in advance. Even on private, if you leave ANYTHING in the woods, some loser will steal it. I will post some pics of my ground kills when I fire up the computer.

Im really interested in this chair that you use. Whats the name of it?
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Dan.....RR mentioned mark anthony. I think that fella has had good success with a ghillie. Anyways....i think if needed....trimming in areas around string/cams could be done if needed. If i think of it monday...i can post another pic in the field with suit. I dont think there is much in the way, other than part of the mask, fore arm, and maybe part of the chest.

I will say this much, with pops crossbow, its less of a concern. I may switch over to a compound later, but for now just starting out with the suit, I want to just get the job done with a few kills under my belt first.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:36 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:I hunt from the ground more than I do from a stand. Just as others have said, front and back cover a great, however with a ghuile suit or a leafy suit, front cover isnt always a must. Face mask and gloves are a given when on the ground. Most of the mature bucks here won't pass a huntable tree once the season starts. Most of the time, the mature bucks change their bedding area once the army of bow hunters invade the woods 2 weeks prior to the opener. Bucks are then forced to bed where they have to, not always where they want to. This makes a difference in setting up on them. As far as chairs go, I started out hunting from cheap $15-$25 chairs and missed numerous opportunities because of the restrictions they have in rotation and comfort. I met Scott from Huntmore in 2008 at the deer and turkey expo in Grand Rapids Michigan, and loved the chair, just had sticker shock. A year or so later, we started attending a different church, and met Scott again. I finally took the plunge and haven't spent a single second regretting it. I highly recommend these chairs for their comfort, rotation, adjustability and the confidence I have while hunting from it.

Im really interested in this chair that you use. Whats the name of it?

Huntmore. Not just for hunting either. Legs independently adjust for in even terrain, base height is 16" and the max height of 22" with all the legs fully extended. 4" footing pads on the legs so it doesn't sink into the ground. Adjustable lumbar and seat pad. Life time warranty on the frame(against manufacturer defect) however if you happen do do something to it, it is built so you only have to replace the part not the whole chair. Built like a tank! The 19" model weighs 12 lbs and the 16" weighs 10.5 lbs collapses down and fits in a bag. Full 360 degree rotation. Minimal yearly maintenance.
Google search Huntmore 360

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:40 pm

I believe Mark Anthony has more booners from the ground than anyone else. Sat in on one of his seminars, knows hi stuff. We hunt the same way, only difference is he hunts Illinois

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Maple_Ridge wrote:Dan.....RR mentioned mark anthony. I think that fella has had good success with a ghillie. Anyways....i think if needed....trimming in areas around string/cams could be done if needed. If i think of it monday...i can post another pic in the field with suit. I dont think there is much in the way, other than part of the mask, fore arm, and maybe part of the chest.

I will say this much, with pops crossbow, its less of a concern. I may switch over to a compound later, but for now just starting out with the suit, I want to just get the job done with a few kills under my belt first.

Good point. I altered my some. Trimmed my wrist, forearm, and face area around the hood to eliminate any potential problems.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:53 am

Yea, in my opinion ghillies are a pain to wear while moving in anything but the wide open. You will be a walking brush pile in no time - realistic but a pain to clean up!! I carry mine in a pack and put it on when I am ready to sit down when turkey hunting.

I would recommend ones that have shorter material in response to Dan's question and like RR mentioned. Yes, the ones with longer strings and rags can cause problems with shooting a bow but i haven't had any problem with shorter trimmed suits.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 am

Thats a good idea Joe, to carry to the spot you hunt.

Usually, I fly home in my truck 40 miles from work, clean up, then wheel to one of my spots.

Then put the gorilla suit on, and walk to my spot along the road. Slip in and wait for the deer to come to me, as they cross from hardwoods to a large alf-alfa field. Hot and miserable the first part of october. Late season it keeps ya warm with the fall cold air.

It sure is fun though. If hunting was not fun, you wouldn't catch me out there. This is another tool for the tackle box. Think i bought mine from sportsmans guide for like $80.

EDIT....To add this. BTW I am NOT trying to showboat or anything like that. I have yet to even get a kill, so am in the rookie category with the suit. But, I wanted to post to show the capability of the suit. Dad took this picture when I first got the suit. My bow could be equipped as well, with material in the correct spots for further blending. I have since went away from the compound for this style hunt, as mentioned above. However, I am all ears for any tactics with compound. haha

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”