Being dropped off to hunt...how far?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Being dropped off to hunt...how far?

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 am

I have read and heard that deer are spooked by car doors slamming or even a car slowing down/stopping. Thus, it has been recommended to have someone drop you off a ways away from your access point. My question is this: How far is recommended? Do you get dropped off, quietly close the door, and then walk the last 100 yards? 200 yards?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Being dropped off to hunt...how far?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:27 am

I would say 300 yards minimum on that road pictured. Busy roads you can get dropped off closer. I have slid off the hood of a moving car to get to a close spot by the road.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 am

Stanley wrote:I would say 300 yards minimum on that road pictured. Busy roads you can get dropped off closer. I have slid off the hood of a moving car to get to a close spot by the road.

Definately like the Starsky & Hutch method 8-)

440 yards is a 1/4 mile or if your a golfer you could equate a good driver and maybe a 3 or 4 iron to get to the green.

In a straight line with not much in between I would say Stanley's numbers are good.
Thick woods or say some running water along with remaining as quiet as possible or traffic you can get away with a lot less...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 am

I don't mind walking, but I wonder to what degree people would get pissed off if I was walking along a road with a bow or gun.

Stanley's point is well taken that it probably depends a lot on how busy the road is.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:I would say 300 yards minimum on that road pictured. Busy roads you can get dropped off closer. I have slid off the hood of a moving car to get to a close spot by the road.

Definately like the Starsky & Hutch method 8-)

440 yards is a 1/4 mile or if your a golfer you could equate a good driver and maybe a 3 or 4 iron to get to the green.

In a straight line with not much in between I would say Stanley's numbers are good.
Thick woods or say some running water along with remaining as quiet as possible or traffic you can get away with a lot less...

That reminds me, today is Paul Michael Glaser's birthday (70)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”