Too easy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Too easy?

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I found a point with 3 buck beds on it. Rubs all over and pretty much determined which route is his main one. Here is where it gets weird. I looked at which bed he uses based on each wind. I know he uses the terrain/wind to his advantage but, it seems relatively easy to hunt him. I mean, its fairly thick in there so getting close with leaves up won't be bad, there is a long road bed coming almost to where I need to go and my wind will be right all the way in. I know when it seems too easy it usually is. What do you guys think. Are their really some beds you find that are set up where its relatively easy to slip in and get on a buck? I'm worried I'm missing something. This is my first time scouting/hunting this way. With the right conditions I believe I can get within 70-80 yards of his bed without much headache. It just seems too easy. Afraid I might be not seeing something with disaster looming.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Too easy?

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm

He may bed downwind of the road bed? IDK without map/photos it is tough to say.

I know most of the buck beds I find they are either watching or smelling the easiest access to them.

I did find a buck bed that is easy to access and hunt, just not sure if it is a day bed or what, need to get a cam on it this season.
Last edited by PK_ on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

What age of buck are we talking here?? Tracks, rub height, etc?

I've found that the best (hardest to hunt and most strategic) beds are usually occupied by the older deer in an area. However, maybe the area your hunting doesn't get too much pressure and you might be set up perfectly to take this buck.

I've seen some spots like this and It ended up where I thought a bed was easy to hunt and i ended up over thinking and analyzing the setup. It ended with me messing up the hunt; If I would have just hunted the bed with what my gut told me I would have had better results.

Moral of the story: Hunt with your gut and give it a shot!!
Last edited by MOBIGBUCKS on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:23 pm

If its a mature buck he is bedded there for a good reason.

Maybe he can catch thermals, watch the way you come in, have his exit from the bed scent checked?

However, If it is a very low pressure area you might be exactly right. Some stories I have heard from very average hunters in my area have killed huge bucks simply by setting up on a trail that leaves his bed or bed area. These are rare cases and usually on private land that has little pressure.

As MOBIGBUCKS stated, how tall are the center of the rubs on the trees? I usually dont get excited unless the center of the rub is up to my waist or belly button. I usually consider that a 3.5 yr old+

I would like to see a topo or map of the spot. You could be overlooking the wind and thermals. Thats what usually gets me too. Good luck!
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm

I will see about getting a map up. The wind and thermals should work great for my approach. This area in general gets very little to no hunting pressure except for a 2 day gun quota hunt. On top of that its over a mile back in the timber, and I'd be willing to bet my paycheck no one will go back in there and bow hunt. The road can only be found by someone who already knows where it is. Its a y off another road but the first 80 yards or so are grown up and looks like the surrounding woods. The middle of the good rub was right at my belt. There was several smaller rubs around a quarter in size that were broke off. I found a set of tracks heading to the bedding area that was 4 fingers wide.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

blizzardhunter wrote:I will see about getting a map up. The wind and thermals should work great for my approach. This area in general gets very little to no hunting pressure except for a 2 day gun quota hunt. On top of that its over a mile back in the timber, and I'd be willing to bet my paycheck no one will go back in there and bow hunt. The road can only be found by someone who already knows where it is. Its a y off another road but the first 80 yards or so are grown up and looks like the surrounding woods. The middle of the good rub was right at my belt. There was several smaller rubs around a quarter in size that were broke off. I found a set of tracks heading to the bedding area that was 4 fingers wide.

Sounds like you are really on to something. That sounds like a mature buck for sure. My suggestion is to NOT use trail cameras in there. It may be very tempting but if he is used to very low pressure and you go in putting up cameras you could kick him out of that bed easily. I know this from experience.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I was thinking of running cameras but not close to his bed. I have thought about putting up a couple a few hundred yards away over the areas most deer seem to use when entering some crop fields. I was going to put them up this spring and not check them until the rut next fall. Would be intersting to see whats in the area and general movement petterns. But I will not put anything within probably 400 yards of that bed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I find quite a few mature buck beds that are very easy to hunt... Getting up to the bed like a predator is what they protect against best... I can often easily get within 75 yards a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”