Need a gameplan!!?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Need a gameplan!!?

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Went scouting yesterday to checkout an area that i knew was holding a good 150" or better buck last yr. I dont know much about the area except it doesnt receive alot of pressure and i hunted it one day last yr during rut and saw a ton of deer. Figured i would post my findings and see if you all could help me put the pieces together and make a gameplan. May be tough with what little info i have but give me your best shot. I do know that the deer heavily crossed the creek at the north as there was clover and corn in those ag. Fields. I found a bed from the night before in the snow right in The area i expected to find primary bedding. This was one deer alone, it had huge feet(tho it doesnt look it in the pic) and it followed the transition line of the thicket it was in when it left. Maybe this is my guy but would he still be in the area this time of yr? I couldnt tell if certain spots i thought were beds due to the snow but i marked what i assumed was a bed. Also, either this buck or another buck has been making the same movements for several yrs as generally where there was fresh rubs, there was old rubs. Your thoughts? Red= fresh bed in snow, yellow= assumed beds, pink= fresh doe beds, blue= large clusters of rubs(staging?). The ridge to the north of the bed is more less a 30 ft cliff to the creek. So he has to go east or west before crossing. Heavy crossings were to the west but i know i saw alot of doe crossing there during rut. The bed i found was on northeast side of the tree but wind that evening before was from the nne. So i would have expected him to have his back toward the northeast. Instead it was to the sw with the tree behind him. Aerial and topo view Image Image fresh bed Image Image Image doe bedding Image large track from fresh bed Image Image Image Image biggest rubs (75 yds to northeat from bed) Image Image misc rubs Image Image Image Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

admiral04

Re: Need a gameplan!!?

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:02 am

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 am

The buck bed does not look like its right up against the tree, and looks in line to it. You sure the buck was not facing the tree?

As far as a game plan, I would look a little closer at the beds and trails after snow melt and try to cut the buck off... I think the buck area you marked probably does get bedded a lot on a south wind so he can smell hunters or predators coming from the south. If he is heading to the West or the East crossing, it should be as easy as looking at the trails coming from the bed and finding a way to circle above without getting detected...
The buck probably does not cross the river in daylight. He probably only gets 100 yards from his bed before darkness. The key is to be close, and to not hunt it until you see his buck sign in the fields across the river (assuming you can go over there)
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

Im not sure, he could have been facing the tree which would make mire sence to me. I just assumed hecwould have the tree to his back. I do have access to the field across the creek. Do mature bucks generally wait until dark to cross water?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 am

I always look really close at the beds and how the legs fold, the arc of the back, tracks, etc, to determine direction.

Do mature bucks generally wait until dark to cross water?
That would depend... If they are bedded on a hump within water they will move thru in daylight. If they travel to the water, it will feel like a trap to cross it in daylight.

You just gotta get in the mind set of getting as close as you can cause they don't move far in daylight.
Based on where you showed that bed, I would not expect a mature buck coming from that bed during season to get to the field till an hour or more after dark... Sure, he might on some occasions. But, getting close will assure you that he at least makes it to you.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

So, in your opinion i should hunt it on a south wind? Within a hundred yards if i can get that close? Do you think the really heavy rub i showed would be him just hanging out by that tree waiting for dark? Would it be something he may have rubbed everyday on his way out? How close would be too close to get with a camera to detect how early he is moving? I was thinking put a camera at each heavy river crossing on the opposite side of river as his bed. The big tracks may not even be him. Havent seen him since i shined him in the fields across the river the last day of archery. He may have gotten killed during rifle, however every couple yrs theres a good buck taken crossing the river during gun season and yrs of old rubs so i assume that for whatever reason this bedding area is preffered by mature bucks...

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 pm

So, in your opinion i should hunt it on a south wind?
Yes
Within a hundred yards if i can get that close?
As close as possible
Do you think the really heavy rub i showed would be him just hanging out by that tree waiting for dark?
The rub tells me he is in the area. I doubt he uses it daily.and it may or may not be being done after dark.
How close would be too close to get with a camera to detect how early he is moving? I was thinking put a camera at each heavy river crossing on the opposite side of river as his bed.

Other side of the river should be safe.

The big tracks may not even be him.
Or they might be... Keep the glass 1/2 full

i assume that for whatever reason this bedding area is preffered by mature bucks...

I am sure every big buck in the area occasionally beds there.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:49 am

Ok, thnx for the help. I should think this woild be a fairly easy setup. As soon as the snow melts ill get in there and check for exact bedding and let you know and then stay out till early season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”