Hill country fellas, what's your preference?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Hill country fellas, what's your preference?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:22 pm

Bump

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:57 pm

good thread,

What if you have a saddle that is running away from the inside corner of a 2 year old clear cut? do you hunt up on the inside corner or down into the saddle more?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:18 am

Good thread. When Autumn Ninja speaketh, I listen. Haven't seen him post in a while, hope he is still around.

One thing I have noticed - the broader, flatter saddles have been better in my hunting just because less other hunters are likely to find them. I have hunted a couple awesome rut cruising setups - on saddles so slight that they don't appear on a topo map. No one else can find them unless they walk the ridge and pay attention, but man do cruising bucks cross through them like clockwork.

The bigger the saddle, the more likely you will have company anywhere there is competitive hunting pressure. Neglecting that - yea any funnel is only as good as what it connects.

Lungpuncher - if at all possible I would pick a setup that covers the likely travel routes in the saddle as well as that transition line if not possible. Hard to say w/o knowing what else is in the area, but I would probably favor the transition line. Deer are creatures of the edge, period.
WNCHunt

Unread postby WNCHunt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:48 am

I notice the most activity on a saddle when it is bordered by some type of transition. Where I hunt that is mountain laurel. Here the deer bed in the laurel. So if I can find a saddle close to mountain laurel, generally speaking I have found a good funnel.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”