Wausau/Rib Mountain City Limits buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Wausau/Rib Mountain City Limits buck

Unread postby binney59 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:33 am

Not sure if any of you heard about a monster buck that was living in a tiny wood lot inside the city limits of Wausau, WI, but he got a lot of press in the area. Apparently there were at least 3 attempts to poach the buck and countless sightings and close calls with vehicles. Someone found his sheds and they aren't bad ;)

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55577 Here is the link with more detail and a description of where his core area is (not very big at all- amazing how he knew to find shelter).

Schubox1265

Re: Wausau/Rib Mountain City Limits buck

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:03 am

I think I will try this set-up with a NW wind and try to pick him off as he heads to the water source.

Easy access to the stand from the parking lot, and not too far of a walk to Fazoli's in case I get hungry!

Thanks for the intel!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 am

Amazing buck! 8-) Hopefully the old boy doesn't get taken out by a vehicle or worse yet a poacher. He looks to be living a very good life and hope he dies of old age if no hunting is allowed there.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:39 am

Rumor has it he is dead.....can't confirm though. (I am working in the area daily.)

A big bodied shed buck was hit by a car couple weeks back.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:53 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Rumor has it he is dead.....can't confirm though. (I am working in the area daily.)

A big bodied shed buck was hit by a car couple weeks back.

Thats a bummer if it is true, but its better than some low-life poacher sniping him from a parking lot. It would be cool to have him live the rest of his days in that woods but it sounds like he has survived plenty of close calls with vehicles, so the rumor would make sense.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:56 am

I have a few more pictures of the sheds and a few live shots of the buck.

Sent them to Magic man......if he has time maybe he can post some of them or I can try later tomorrow.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 am

Now you know why a lot of hunters are trying to get Rib Mountain state park open to hunting. There are a lot of big bucks in the Rib Mountain suburbs. This buck got a lot of attention because he was on the other side of the highway in a more public spot were more people could see him. BUT on the other side of the highway around the state park area, there are some giants roaming around also. I have seen pictures from the back yard of a certain person (who owned a major construction company and had a son that ran NASCAR) that were impressive to say the least! Don't get me wrong, this buck is impressive, but there always have been giant bucks in this area, you just can't get to them!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:36 am

My sister lives on the West end of Rib mountain. They own 5 acres next to a marsh. She sees deer a lot and some bucks but dont think she ever saw that guy.
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:55 am

I almost hit that buck one night. I was so shocked to see a buck that big run out from behind a house that I didn't even think of hitting the breaks I just was trying to get up close to see it....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”