Quick buck bed question!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Craaaig

Quick buck bed question!

Unread postby Craaaig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am

What's the most crap you guys have found in a single bed? Just trying to determine what is a lot...found a couple with 4-6 different piles. some beds all the crap is in the same little area, which kind of shows a personality trait I think. Usually the beds with the most crap in them have been set up for a west wind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Re: Quick buck bed question!

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:33 am

Craaaig wrote:What's the most crap you guys have found in a single bed? Just trying to determine what is a lot...found a couple with 4-6 different piles. some beds all the crap is in the same little area, which kind of shows a personality trait I think. [glow=red]Usually the beds with the most crap in them have been set up for a west wind.[/glow]

This is what I have noticed as well. Going this eve to scout a main bed and pic and clear my kill tree. Ill check to see how much poop is there and report back Monday. This will be a west wind bed.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 am

Interesting, why do you think the more poop indicates west wind?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:48 am

I dont find poop in the beds. The beds Im finding must have enough security cover that the deer feel safe getting up and moving to poop. :think:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 am

Usually just find more poop in the beds that are set up for west winds cause they get used more I think!!!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 am

Craaaig wrote:Usually just find more poop in the beds that are set up for west winds cause they get used more I think!!!

I agree and have noticed the same thing but the poop is not right in the bed but most times surrounding it instead.

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 am

Anyways what do you guys consider a lot for one bed? It's a high pressure marsh area with only so many good beds available. So far I consider about 5 different piles a lot because I haven't found more than that yet!

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:51 am

Also, any idea on average how long poop lasts for out in the woods? I know it will depend on weather and all but is some of the poop I'm finding old? Like a couple months old? I can easily distinguish poop that is noticeably old during the season, but when the marsh is froze over and I'm finding beds full of poop I just wonder if I'm reading old sign? Does poop freeze in the marsh and stay somewhat intact and preserved until the ground thaws?

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Nobody has any experience with this stuff? It all tastes the same, but I can't tell how old it is!!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:42 pm

During the winter it really builds up and is preserved. It looks like much more because it doesn't disappear naturally like it does in warm weather.

I have seen runways in spring that are completely covered with droppings 2-3 feet wide for 50 yards or more but soon after thaw the rain and warmer weather disintegrates everything pretty quickly.

As far as how long deer poop normally lasts I don't have any really good guesses on that but weather would play a major factor.

We need a poop expert here! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”