farm country bucks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

westmibow

Re: farm country bucks.

Unread postby westmibow » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 am

I didn't read everyone's responses but do you have doe using the property. If so your best bet might be the rut. I hunt a piece very similar in MI and my best bet is to just wait until Nov. and hope to catch a big boy checking it for does. I call it more of a transition area. The bucks are there at night but usually gone by day break. The other thing I've noticed is morning hunts are the most productive because of the activity from the night before.

monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 am

Thanks a lot for the input guys! I will definitley be using some of your tactics you guys mentioned. I just can't wait dan has the farm country video out!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Im no expert but this is what I experienced last fall. This was an early October hunt so most would call this the "October lull" which I think is false BTW.

I didnt have a stand in this spot I realized what the wind was and knew where the beds were. It didnt take much to understand that the deer would bed on that island with a NW wind in that certain bed. Also bed in the pines on the downwind side which is where the doe was bedded that I killed. The buck was bedded on the island and was a 2 yr old which came out right at dark and walked right past me no more than 5 yards. I shot the doe much earlier and she came in to 20 yards and didnt have a clue.

I was hunting on the ground on a hedgrow behind a big oak tree with brush around me. I had a strip of picked corn right in front of me with the rest of the corn still standing. I figured it would be a hot spot with that wind and fresh cut corn.

I think my hunt and the scenario reflects what most of you are talking about.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”