Why don't deer use cuts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Why don't deer use cuts?

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 am

I understand if they are log and rock strewn but they will literally drop down right next to them even when it would be easier to just go down or up the cut like I do. Theories? Visibility maybe? Or maybe because some are treacherous to travel they avoid all of them? I know they use a stretch or cut across them when getting from one point to another. But I don't see them use the full stretch ever. Where as they'll take a point all the way down to the bottom.

The reason I ask is because on flatter land they will use depressions in the topography to conceal their movement, but not in hill country for some reason.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Why don't deer use cuts?

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 am

It has to do with the air streams and the way scent flows thru those areas.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Why don't deer use cuts?

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

I think it has a little bit to do with already thinking they are concealed in hill country. In flat land there are roads just about every mile consisting of sections = 640 acres. So a mature buck will use the lower areas of flat land to stay concealed from human eyes on the roads.

The first thing a buck does when he knows he has been busted is get out of sight. They are masters at staying undetected. They are also masters at getting out of sight when they are detected.

I also agree with Dan the air currents are so unpredictable in hill country. They may be keeping their scent from reaching 4 legged predators while being able to see more ground.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”