Wind specific bedding...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Craaaig

Re: Wind specific bedding...

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:09 pm

And nobody considers that because our sense of smell is so small, all we smell is good tasting or bad tasting, we usually don't get a big whiff of death when a dog is upwind. Deer without a nose would be like a person without eyes...good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Deer don't know that we don't have a good nose

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Craaaig wrote:Yes very good, I don't think coyotes are given enough credit when it comes to wind specific beds. A lot of the buck beds I have been finding are in such strategic spots that after you find them they make so much sense it would be stupid to bed anywhere else. And big part of where they bed depends on where their own scent is blowing, a lot of the marsh beds in SE MI are set up so yotes can't smell the deer, maybe because the deer is bedded by a lake or a highway with its scent blowing away, or the bed is set up perfect with an escape route. Just seems like 1000 years ago they were probably bedded in the same type of areas based on wind specific bedding. Kinda like its the only way for them to stay alive when they are up against dogs

I agree... Deer are bedded based on predators like wolves and coyotes. I do believe humans are in that factor too. But even in areas where there are no wolves, it still seems to be in there instinct from generations long ago.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 am

dan wrote:I agree... Deer are bedded based on predators like wolves and coyotes. I do believe humans are in that factor too. But even in areas where there are no wolves, it still seems to be in there instinct from generations long ago.

Here is some proof of generation after generation of deer using specific beds. I have two photos of a swamp in northern wisconsin. I found a large, well used bed on a small island. The bed is located very near where the two trails meet the island.

This first picture shows a modern, clear photo and the trails are clearly seen. This photo was taken in 2009

This next picture is not as clear, but it does show the SAME trails. This picture was taken in 1938! This bed has been in use for at least 75 YEARS!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 am

Awesome stuff Klemz!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:51 am

dan wrote:Awesome stuff Klemz!

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image