Primary bedding or staging area? How wod you hunt it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Primary bedding or staging area? How wod you hunt it?

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 am

Now that the snow is melting i went and took a quick stroll in the swamp i want to hunt this yr. I found some good sign from last yr but im not sure whether this is sign of a mature buck or a 2 yr old. The rub is pretty good sized come up on my upper chest (im 5'11") and if you look closely at the sappling 10" behind the rub its knicked up from the tips. Hard to see but theres some smaller rubs right close from this past yr and a few that are quite old. There was rubs going both east end west for a ways but no heavy entrance or exit trails(that i could make out) i found a few smal tracks and droppings from doe and only one large track and some large droppings from recently. Theres crops in every direction from this bed during the fall. Whats your take? Hunt it? How so? Is it wind sensitive? Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Primary bedding or staging area? How wod you hunt it?

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 am

I would certainly be hunting it...
Hard to tell from the picture, but if thats the bed below the rub, it looks wind specific to me.
The buck would be bedded with the rub tree and brush to his back, looking the other direction with the wind coming from his back also.
From the looks of your blue dot, he is likely facing the swamp, and the wind is from the woods.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 am

dan wrote:I would certainly be hunting it...
Hard to tell from the picture, but if thats the bed below the rub, it looks wind specific to me.
The buck would be bedded with the rub tree and brush to his back, looking the other direction with the wind coming from his back also.
From the looks of your blue dot, he is likely facing the swamp, and the wind is from the woods.
the rub and direction i think u would mean hes bedding would be facig the bottom of my aerial photo (south) swamp is to the east and open timber is to the west. So you think he would be bedding there on a north wind?in the first picture im facing nne. Also, i have no clue where hes going too so i dont know how to setup on him

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:54 am

Your going to need to look for sign coming from the bed into the woods or along the transition to figure out direction. And it might vary based of food changes.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:16 pm

I would definitely keep tabs on that spot.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I would bed there on a West, SW, or NW, that way them stanky tarsals are blowing over that marsh and then the river. the river will help deter yotes, a big part of staying alive is not getting bumped out of your bed from a yote. Plus when the marsh is being used, which is usually until it freezes over, the coyotes have not been hit with the hard winter yet. If you smelled that deer from downwind you would have to first cross the river and then cross the marsh just to investigate the scent. Doesn't seem worth it to me if I was a yote, not when I could chase does around on solid ground and not tread water to chase 1 single deer.

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:38 pm

You check for beds closer to the river? All those S curves in the river would work for West winds, plus north and south, prolly find some less used beds for an east wind on the other side of the river!

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Here's the wind specific bedding link. I found some beds on a river similar to that, actually those two were the first beds I've ever found!! I strongly recommend chest waders!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18629

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”