Rumor thread spin off

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Rumor thread spin off

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Following the rumor thread, where you hear about a big buck then maybe move in on it, rekindled a conversation I had a while back.

I've heard of some guys that cover LARGE amounts of ground (multiple counties) spotlighting during the summer/fall, looking for top end trophy bucks. Most of the ground is private. Once they find them, they then try to find a local landowner for permission to hunt. This is all legal.

What about the local landowner who has spent time and effort to create the habitat to raise such a deer. Granted, deer are a public resource, but without some landowner assistance, this deer wouldn't have fulfilled it's potential.

So should I spend my time sitting in my truck spotlighting at night or expend effort enhancing habitat during the day?? ;)

Maple_Ridge

Re: Rumor thread spin off

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I guess if you think you could get permission to hunt where you think the target buck will be early season in its feeding pattern, that might pay off. Managment around these parts works only if most of the landowners in the area participate, for big racks anyways. Land acreage round here averages 40-100 acre pieces. All with different owners. And different objectives.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Many of the big bucks I see during shining in late summer are never there during the rut. I focus on shining farmlands near public land or MFL properties, or land I have permission to hunt. Most of the time, landowners know what they have on their property and won't let anyone step foot on it. Thats from my experience.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Gaining permission in is getting hard to come by these days, at least in WI....for deer. If you own some land, I'd put the time and effort into it and eventually you'll have a great deer roaming it....
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 pm

I think if you want to hunt top end bucks each season you have to go find them. If you are simply looking for mature bucks, grow them at home(if you have the land).
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:I think if you want to hunt top end bucks each season you have to go find them. If you are simply looking for mature bucks, grow them at home(if you have the land).

Around home it's @ approx. $100-$150k / lot (3-5 acres), kind of hard to afford a sizeable piece...

Up North it goes for minimum of $2k - around $5-8k for larger parcels over +20 acres...
If you find a 100 acres for under $1/4mm your doing good!
That's in an area of 7-10/ sq. mile too :doh:

Not in this kids budget, so I rely on steeling from Peter to pay Paul...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:I think if you want to hunt top end bucks each season you have to go find them. If you are simply looking for mature bucks, grow them at home(if you have the land).
x2

Around home it's @ approx. $100-$150k / lot (3-5 acres), kind of hard to afford a sizeable piece...

Up North it goes for minimum of $2k - around $5-8k for larger parcels over +20 acres...
If you find a 100 acres for under $1/4mm your doing good!
That's in an area of 7-10/ sq. mile too :doh:

Not in this kids budget, so I rely on steeling from Peter to pay Paul...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:43 am

I think spot lighting and asking for permission would be very non productive in the areas I hunt. 25-30 years ago easy. Today, almost impossible.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:22 am

Good gosh I miss my nightly spotlighting forays. All it ever did was tease me.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:59 am

Well if you think
you can get permission to hunt the spot than go for it. The way gas prices get during the summer who can afford to go drive around.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 am

MN Legacy wrote:Well if you think
you can get permission to hunt the spot than go for it. The way gas prices get during the summer who can afford to go drive around.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

x2. Around here landowners would probably give up their first born before giving up access to their land to hunt. If you can get or have a good chance to get permission to hunt then yes it is a great tool to have. I shine the spots I can hunt (public and private) to see what is there and when, but gas is too expensive for me to drive just to see what is in the area. Now when I shine I usually shine 2-3 miles from where I can hunt to see what is in the general area, because depending on the terrain they may use the same ground I can hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”