Deer Extraction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Deer Extraction

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 am

I've seen most people on here atleast sometimes hunt public land. Not all public is the same but most have rules as to what you can and can't do. Where we hunt it very restrictive so there is some creative thinking into how to retrieve that big buck and get him to the truck. Just curious to see how everyone gets this done. Is it the old fashion grab a horn and pull or do we have some imaginative people on here?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Deer Extraction

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:40 am

I'm always on the lookout for better ways to get a buck out, as I spend a lot of time in nasty swamps. Hopefully we get some here!

We have a lot of responses to this question on the Beast too, from the past. If interested, here's a link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=485&hilit=get+out+buck+bear
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

When deep I always quartered up, makes for an interesting walk out after dark if there is wolves in area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

I use a sled and/or a cart... Sled works great in marsh, swamp, or thick cover, and will work anywhere (deer needs to be tied in ) cart works better on dry open land.

Read the thread Bridge posted.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 pm

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:When deep I always quartered up, makes for an interesting walk out after dark if there is wolves in area.

Illegal where I hunt, we usually use a cart.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Totally opposite where i hunt no wheeled anything allowed-foot travel only, although we can use sleds like Dan suggested.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 pm

That's why I had Jake...
Although only 6, give him another 8-10 years and I'll have him trained along with the neighborhood kids :mrgreen:
Right Southern Man :lol:

Plus I usually don't shoot anything over 142 lbs... ;)
(Heaviest to date)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 am

Darn, I was hoping this was going to be a thread about how to remove a deer from a corn picker/combine!

I have taken a few deer that have been pulled out by hand, then plastic snow sled and then transferred to the deer cart for the remainder of the journey back to the truck. I guess I do not have anything creative and ground breaking, though.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 pm

We use a deer cart if we don't have a 4 wheeler with us. Problem is the deer cart we have is made for someone 6'2" and shorter. Talk about a hurting back when your done. My buddy and I are both 6' 7" and its almost tougher to cart them out then to pull them! I'll be in the market for a deer cart this year that might be usable for the taller folk!

I'm also thinking about placing about 4 - 7 foot logs around the property. I'm usually hunting with my buddy so if we do get one and don't have a way to get it out we can grab the closest cut log/branch and with a little rope we can carry it out with its legs attached to the log or tie it up by the antlers or head and drag it out. I've learned over the years that dragging a deer out by the leg or antlers has to be the hardest way to do it!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Sled when I can.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Bigb wrote:We use a deer cart if we don't have a 4 wheeler with us. Problem is the deer cart we have is made for someone 6'2" and shorter. Talk about a hurting back when your done. My buddy and I are both 6' 7" and its almost tougher to cart them out then to pull them! I'll be in the market for a deer cart this year that might be usable for the taller folk!

I'm also thinking about placing about 4 - 7 foot logs around the property. I'm usually hunting with my buddy so if we do get one and don't have a way to get it out we can grab the closest cut log/branch and with a little rope we can carry it out with its legs attached to the log or tie it up by the antlers or head and drag it out. I've learned over the years that dragging a deer out by the leg or antlers has to be the hardest way to do it!

Holy smokes, your a bid dude Bigb! I have tried carrying them out legs tied to a pole and it was a pain in the behind. The deer swings side to side and makes it hard to walk.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 am

On deep hunts, I usually pack a 5x5 tarp with me and a string line out of my tool trailer. I wrap the deer in the tarp and ties it shut with the string line. I bring a 5 foot piece of rope with me and ties that to the antlers, grab a pieces of wood about 3 foot long and sturdy enough for a handle, loop rope over that and it makes for a decent drag with 2 guys. If I am alone I use the tarp the same but use my treestand harness and tie the rope to the part of the harness that you hook the carabiner to. hands free and works pretty good.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:56 am

My old HSS vest has an attachment in the lower back area for dragging a deer out. Hands free and makes the drag slightly easier.

I prefer to use a cart or wheel barrow.
"In the deed, the glory"
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:That's why I had Jake...
Although only 6, give him another 8-10 years and I'll have him trained along with the neighborhood kids :mrgreen:
Right Southern Man :lol:

Plus I usually don't shoot anything over 142 lbs... ;)
(Heaviest to date)

LOL missed this thread. Ed, I told my sons a few years back, I drug them out for them when they were little, now it's payback time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:01 am

I just started using a 6'2" fifteen yr old. The drags have gotten so much easier for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”