A few monsters? or a lot of nice bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

A few Booners? or a lot of P&Y?

1) Place has a few booners but getting an average buck is hard
31%
2) 130/150 class yearly but booners are very rare
69%

Total votes: 107
binney59
500 Club

Re: A few monsters? or a lot of nice bucks?

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:27 am

Stanley wrote:There is a lot of luck when it comes to rack score & size. A bucks really large rack is mostly luck of the draw. The buck has a bigger set of antlers than other bucks of the same age. I see no difference unless you talk about an old buck 6.5-8.5 years old with a 170 inch rack.

So for me, a hunter that puts 25 140 class bucks on the wall has done much more than a guy that has 2 170s on the wall. Another thing to consider hunting an area with more bucks gives you a much bigger learning curve than an area with few bucks.

I'll take door #2.

very good points, I am massively more impressed with a 5 year old big woods buck that might score 140 than a 2.5 year old farm land buck that scores the same.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 am

evryone makes good points, dan hit it on the head for what i was thinking on this one" hunters go through different stages" . up until a couple years ago i woulda chose door number 2. but now that i ve got a couple more years under my belt and have been targeting monsters and was succesful 2 years ago and last year wasnt succesful because i blew it. now im changing my mind. i know i will eat some tag soup(having some tonight actually :lol: )but those bucks that hit a certain age class and display monster size racks are in a league of their own, i enjoy just watching em grow from year to year...... heck maybe il change my mind eventually but at this stage im going for the big ones, the areas i hunt have em so nows the time to go after them those places might not always be available for me to hunt as things always seem to change.............i will say this though, ive seen bucks that score 150 that are more impressive than some 170 class bucks just because of a certain characteristic in their rack so when that happens all bets are off 8-)
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:50 am

Dewey wrote:I picked #1 because I would rather hunt an area that has a few Booners just because of the fact knowing they are around turns up the excitement factor for me so much more.

Don't get me wrong a 130"-150" is a great buck but I would rather hunt a spot knowing I may see less of these but will have a reasonable chance of encountering a Booner.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 am

I selected #2. I have been chasing 2 B&C quality/size (one estimated, the other scored a little over 190") bucks the last couple of years. I devoted nearly every waking minute when not working to my pursuit of these 2 great bucks. I thought I had the 190" patterned, but he continued to avoid me and was killed by a young man this past Fall. The other B&C quality buck only passes my cameras once every week so I am confident I do not have access to his home core area.

With that said, I have realized I am not the foremost expert on harvesting big bucks!!! I thought I was ready to focus on strictly these 'ol giants, but I am going back to chasing smaller, but still mature bucks. Maybe luck will help me harvest one in the 160s and up.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 am

I would think I died and went to heaven with door #2. If there was door #3 bucks 100- 130 I would be ecstatic with that.

So I'll pick 2.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I went with option 2 for me. My area contains just that but they are few but are seen nearly every season. I catch myself letting a lot of younger bucks go trying to better my odds.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I would love to shoot a half dozen doe a year for the freezer and have a chance at a booner every few years.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm

binney59 wrote:Not attempting to hi-jack, but for those who would choose the occasional booner, how long would be willing to wait between sightings or between killings. knowing that a booner is out there? Having one on your land certainly doesn't guarantee a shot at him.

The reason I ask is I have one on the wall that is not quite a booner (netted 180 4/8 NT) and haven't put one on the wall since- its been 5 seasons. I wounded another one that was easily 160s with my bow the next year and haven't seen another over 150" in the woods since. I often hear people say "if I had one deer like that one I could go the rest of my life with out shooting one," which sounds fine, but not putting deer on the wall gets old. Fast.

I would probably go with option #2 for the reason that, even if a booner is in the area, getting a shot at him isn't a sure thing. I think it would take a long time for me to get bored with shooting a 140-150 buck every year!

I agree!! A pope and young class buck every season would please me! I love slapping my tag around a good buck each season. That's what makes bowhunting so cool. Different areas mean different goals amongst different minded hunters. Gotta love this sport!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I'll take 130's every year vs a giant a couple times in my life....
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 pm

I took #2 as well. I've only shot a few bucks over 130" and if a 130" walks out you better believe I'm taking it. Being allowed two tags in Illinois and only having a few bucks over 130" under my belt, I think any 130" that walks out is toast. The tag after that though is reserved for a 145" or plus buck. I've set my goal this year at 150" for a second buck. I told myself that the next taxidermy bill I have to pay has to be 150" (well, maybe a 145" :) )
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm

My 130 is still in the bigwoods so I chose 2. Hopefully down the road my answer will change but as of now I still need to knock a few down.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:09 pm

I chose #2. At this point, I can't see how I would get bored seeing and hopefully dropping 130+'' deer every year.
GregH

Unread postby GregH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 pm

I chose #2 because it fits the land I've purchased for retirement and hunting. I'd be happy to take a 130 - 150 class buck each year. If a booner comes along (which could happen), even better.
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 am

Thats like asking if you could date 6 really hot women or one super hot one!
I will take door door number 2 every time !
Horn size doesn't necessarily dictate the smarts and challenge of the animal hunted just that it hit the genetic lottery
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 am

I would be happy to just see 130-150" bucks every season let alone shoot them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”