How to climb with the Lone Wolf and Sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DMiller6868

How to climb with the Lone Wolf and Sticks

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:37 am

For those that use a lone wolf hang on. How do you get your stand up in the tree as you hang the sticks and climb up?

Do you use a rope? Keep it on your back? Hang on to it by hand?

I'm trying to figure out the easiest and best way to hang the sticks and then hanging the stand without going up and down the tree to constantly get things such as my bow, etc.

Thx!

tresleggos

Re: How to climb with the Lone Wolf and Sticks

Unread postby tresleggos » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:16 am

either way works , i usually tend to set the sticks and then climb with my stand on my back then setup by hand obviously, less room for error, stand could hit steps etc. lone wolfs are light and easy to hang even with one hand. also when i climb i just connect a rope to my pack and bow and bring it up once im set. then you wont be running up and down.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:38 am

Depending on the tree, I can usually take three of the stix and hang them as high as I can by the swivel brackets on a limb, secure the 4th one, grab the lowest hanging stick, secure it and re-hang the rest higher as needed until they are all secured with their straps. Then I get down, tie my pull-up rope to my bow and my stand then up I go, hang my stand and pull up my bow and DONE.
I find that it is best to hang the stix from seperate limbs to insure that there is no contact between them. If you move slow you can be extremely quiet. Don't forget your Bark Silencer ! :D
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 am

When I was using the sticks I would hang 2 sticks while standing on the ground. The 2nd would just be hanging loosely on the tree. Then I would put my LW stand on my back, loop the remaining two sticks over my head like a bag (one on each side), tie my bow and pack to the tow rope and head up the tree. Standing on the first step, I'd secure the 2nd...so on and so forth til the sticks were all on. At the top of the 4th stick I would secure myself to the tree with my harness and then hands free I could swing the LW from my back and secure it to the tree. Just one trip up the tree and no need to break a sweat.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:59 am

NatureBoy wrote:Then I would put my LW stand on my back, loop the remaining two sticks over my head like a bag (one on each side),

I'm honestly not trying to step on your toes here but I'd seriously consider just hanging them over one shoulder. One slip and then a stick getting stuck on another stick and you have a broken neck. The other way you'd just have a broken arm or dislocated shoulder. Maybe I'm not understanding how your'e holding them but I'd hate to hear of someone making the Darwin Award list in the way I'm thinking you're doing it.

To answer the first post, there's at least 2 threads in the equipment forum on how people hang with 4-5 sticks and a LW stand, just look through the pages, won't take long to find.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 pm

1st stick is put on at ground level.. The next your barley off the ground goes pretty easy. Then I climb up hang the 3rd, down and get the 4th and put the stand on my back. Sometimes I hang the sticks like Arrow mentioned, but only if there is no chance of it falling or making noise.
I find its easier to climb up and down a little rather than trying to take everything up and risking making noise.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:45 pm

The best advice that I could give would be to take it slow and do one thing at a time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 pm

matt1336 wrote:The best advice that I could give would be to take it slow and do one thing at a time

Exactly the point I was trying to get across 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”