Who has hunted Iowa and killed a 170 inch, gross buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

I have hunted Iowa and killed a booner. (170")

I have hunted Iowa and killed a 170" gross buck.
14%
I have hunted Iowa but didn't kill a 170" gross buck.
60%
I have hunted Iowa and got skunked.
26%

Total votes: 35
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Who has hunted Iowa and killed a 170 inch, gross buck?

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Yes, the air gets every thin above 160".

I do find sign of that kind of deer maybe every 2-3 years and have to cover lots of properties and thousands of acres to do it - all are un-managed private or public land though. And just because I catch a glimpse or trail cam pick of that size deer doesn't mean I get to hunt it most of the time. I have only "hunted" 3 bucks of that size in 16 years of bow hunting. Most of the time those deer spend most of their time where I can't go. I find most sightings of bucks of that size...exaggerated. When some dude starts telling me about a giant 12 pointer he saw...ha. Do you know how hard it is to tell a deer has 12 typical points unless you get video or photos of it and can count tines?

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Iowa is just north and east of me......but the hunting rates are kinda high..$$$$

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Stan,

I missed two in the 2001 season that would have easily grossed 170. Both during late shotgun season. I've never had the chance to go back and bowhunt.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 pm

2010, 155 gross, right side was messed up or he would have been close. Going bck this year hopefully.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I hunted Iowa for the first time last year and came up just short of the magic mark.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 am

I killed a gross booner in WI. I haven't had any opportunities at booners during my 5 seasons in Iowa. However, a couple booners were killed in the neighborhood this year, so maybe I'll get lucky next fall. :roll:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 am

kenn1320 wrote:Stan I havent hunted Iowa yet, applying for points this year. Shooting a 170"+ is not why Im excited to go there. I want a legit shot at a 140"+ buck and from what I hear Iowa is the best shot at that. Iowa grows some big bucks no doubt, but my desire is to see lots of good ones, not one great one. I hunt Kansas, land of the giants. I have yet to see a giant while hunting, saw one from the car once. Kansas is going down hill, they offer so many NR permits they have left overs now. :twisted:

A 140 is much more realistic in all reality. If you come to Iowa listening to "I won't even give a 160 inch, a second look", you are in for a rude awaking. It is tough to go to an area out of state, you don't know and hunt for a week.

Beast style hunting requires the ultimate knowledge of your hunting area. As a NR you more than likely will have a stand strapped to your back. Where you hang that stand will determine how successful you are.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 am

Zap wrote:Iowa is just north and east of me......but the hunting rates are kinda high..$$$$

:lol:

You can buy a pretty nice gun/bow for the price of an Iowa NR license.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:42 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Stan,

I missed two in the 2001 season that would have easily grossed 170. Both during late shotgun season. I've never had the chance to go back and bowhunt.

Kind of goes into the point I try and portray. !70s are hard to come by. Even if you see one, chances are you won't bring him home. Shot gun drives are when many of the old boys get killed. Getting them up and on foot is when you can kill them.

If misses were fishes, I'd have a basket full. ;) :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:34 am

Buckfever wrote:
Stanley wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Dont mean to highjack your thread Stan....but Im curious to the same question about Wisconsin or any state at all. Gross boone is hard to come by especially as a typical.

Interesting to see what people vote.

I would be interested in Wisconsin and other states as well. I just did this poll because everyone seems to want to hunt Iowa and Iowa has the most expensive license fees of any state. Just my curiosity.

My interest in Iowa stems from having spent time in NE Iowa and I love the Hills there and I'm still young enough to hunt it but probably won't draw to hunt it all that many times while I still can. Also I have a buddy that lives there and has been begging me to come visit him and I have an open invitation to hunt his land, but I'm hunting the public. Finally it's only 4 hours from me. Even though I'm an IL resident, west central is further.

I hunt NE Iowa also. 4 hrs for me. I am just about too old to hike the hills. If it gets wet after the leaves fall it can be almost un-walkable in the steep hills.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:11 am

In 2009 in 4 days of hunting I saw probably 2-3 that would go 170". That's 2 more than I've seen in 17 years in Michigan and 3 more than I've ever seen in ohio. This was in SE Iowa. I have never killed a 170" there though. My buddy hunts in SC Iowa and there were like 7 200" bucks killed that he knew of in his general area. Pretty much blows my mind how many big ones are there. Im not saying they're easy to kill, just seems like very good numbers at least in that area.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am

Scores only count in competitive sports. Maturity of an animal is what should count.... I've passed several 170+ deer in Iowa because they hadn't reached maturity. I'd rather be known for that than what I kill...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 am

WKPTodd wrote:Scores only count in competitive sports. Maturity of an animal is what should count.... I've passed several 170+ deer in Iowa because they hadn't reached maturity. I'd rather be known for that than what I kill...

I just don't have that kind of restraint. You are the first person I have ever met that passes 170 inch bucks, and I have hunted in 6 different decades. I envy your will power.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 am

[tab=30]
Stanley wrote:
WKPTodd wrote:Scores only count in competitive sports. Maturity of an animal is what should count.... I've passed several 170+ deer in Iowa because they hadn't reached maturity. I'd rather be known for that than what I kill...

I just don't have that kind of restraint. You are the first person I have ever met that passes 170 inch bucks, and I have hunted in 6 different decades. I envy your will power.

Its hard enough getting a buck past 140-150 in most areas. That is the size most QDM lands will consider a trophy .Few would pass on a 170 waiting for a booner.Thats like passing on Miss WI hopeing for Miss America..
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am

Hats off to you, not gonna happen with this cat in a tree! If you are confident that there are a few bigger/more mature than the 170+ then that's a great strategy (still not one I could stick with). In areas where there are few mature bucks (like where most of us hunt) passing on a legitimate 170+ is craziness.

Being known for what you pass as opposed to what you kill is awesome if your land affords you the opportunity to do so!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”