Using birds to detect thermals ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Using birds to detect thermals ?

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 am

Thats a cool find, but how can it help use find thermals at ground level? Or might I ask, how will it help us hunt deer?

Just looking for the thought process behind the find, I know its gotta be good, every thing you come up with expands my mind.

Thanks Dan.

I see a lot of people on this site already new about the birds... I did not. So this was very interesting to me. I do a lot of research when I am thinking about certain issues that effect my hunting. I was trying to find accurate data about the vacuum effect of thermals and found this... I also found some interesting data on flat land and valley thermals, some of what I new, some I did not...

Quite honestly, there does not seem to be a lot of precise data out there about thermals. What there is, seems to be mainly in the glider and motorless airplane groups...

What triggered me on the birds, was ( and I should of said this earlier in this thread ) was that thermals don't rise evenly. A plowed field, dark land surface, buildings, etc. can make thermals rise faster, or earlier than other areas. Another thermal area would be areas that trap air or block air near the ground surface allowing it to have time to heat and cause rising thermals...

So, if birds are circling using the thermals ( which until now, I thought they were just circling ) We know that right below them we can get away with a lot cause our scent is going upward with the rising thermal... At least during the sunny part of the day.... Its kind of like hunting the Leeward side of a hill during the rut. We are hunting midday, and if its a calm day, our scent seems to rise above the deer, especially if out stand height is above the thermal tunnel area where thermal and wind meet.

Now we can look at relatively flat land and see where the thermal current is rising based on birds... And as we get better at looking at where these areas occur, without birds.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks Dan, that is good stuff!!! I found the same things in my research, but never made the connection....Thanks again!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:22 am

bump
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:37 am

Watch out for bird droppings. ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image