tell me what you think... thanks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

tell me what you think... thanks

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:35 am

Hey guys, 1st off... thanks for the nice welcome! I found out about this site through word of mouth after asking questions about hunting swamp bucks. In my area, it just has always seemed to me that the bigger bucks were killed near swamps. It was then it was recommended I purchase Dan's Marsh Bucks DVD and found out about this site. I have already learned alot and have a renewed interest in chasing whitetails. I am an outdoors guy, and do everything well from duck hunting, goose, turkey and fishing. I love them all and am very sucessful, but have never kille a mature old deer. I hunt mostly public, but we have some great public land with low pressure. Some has only been open 1-3 years and are known good buck areas. Ive read every article in the section and I must say you guys have some of the best hunting stories I have ever heard.

Here is a pic of somepublic land I will be hunting that has only been open 2 years and is reservation only and hard to get to the back of the property. Ive walked there twice down the river shoreline and I think I found some promising big buck bedding areas come fall. This is a hunch at this point so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! not looking for a freebee, and I work hard and walk far. Im not lazy by any standards. Tell me your 1st impression... I have some photos from the shoreline looking into the swamp/marsh ill post also if you;d like. Thanks again! :mrgreen:

You can't kill em on the couch
matt1336
500 Club

Re: tell me what you think... thanks

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 am

A topo look might help in determining bedding.....if there is any change in elevation.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 am

matt1336 wrote:A topo look might help in determining bedding.....if there is any change in elevation.

X2
I see some potential but can't be positive without looking at a topo.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:35 am

ok, thanks. where is the best site to get topo's from? thanks again.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:25 pm

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 am

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:11 am

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:14 am

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:14 am

2 views from the river shore looking in (the strip of higher ground in the swamp\marsh in the 1st pic, south-west of the point.
Last edited by Brandon on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:16 am

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:34 am

On your TOPO I marked the transition line where woods and swamp meet with a red line. I would search the red line area for buck beds. I really like the hilly area and marked specific bed positions there.
BLUE is marking NORTH wind beds.
YELLOW is marking EAST wind beds
GREEN is marking SOUTH wind beds
PINK is marking WEST wind beds

When scouting the swampy area, I would suggest looking for buck beds along the transition where the swamp weeds meet the woods. I marked this with a RED line. I would also look where ever there is a tree or bushes within the swamp weeds, I circled a tree in pink for an example. I would mostly expect beds along the transition line to be where points of timber jut out into the swamp, marked in GREEN
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:01 am

Wow Dan thanks so much for your valuable opinion! What you said about the swampy area (green line, red line, and pink) is exactly how Ive been thinking in this area, I can almost garentee Ill find something good in there. I wish I could have learned more to scout Jan-Feb, but I think I can make do, or atleast learn a ton of real expiernece. The hilly area is what challenges me because I do not understand fully how bucks use the hils to there advantage. Ordering hill country bucks today, Im sure that will help me since marsh bucks helped me a ton!

Question, The hilly area to the south-west where the majority of you possible beds are located, that 3 (yellow, pink, green) dots on that point up high Ive found some white oaks that may be dropping early. What is a strategy if the bed becomes a food source... stay away and hunt somewhere else? LOL... Thanks again.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Question, The hilly area to the south-west where the majority of you possible beds are located, that 3 (yellow, pink, green) dots on that point up high Ive found some white oaks that may be dropping early. What is a strategy if the bed becomes a food source... stay away and hunt somewhere else? LOL... Thanks again.

Well, there could be a few ways to hunt it... 1st, if there is a way to slip up close without being seen, smelled, or heard, and setting up within rang of the oaks or in the direction they will head might work. Open noisy mature woods make that option tough, but if there is some cover, or you can use the side hill to hide your movements it could still work. A lot of the time I can find a way to get close without getting seen, might have to stay on the ground, but can still do it. One other obstacle is moving in close in crunchy sticks and leaves. going extremely slow and remaining motionless for a minute or more after making noise can work, but sometimes that don't even work, so in those situations I wait for a breezy day so the wind covers some of my noise and the moving leaves cover some of my movements. Patience and timing are key...
The other obvious answer would be to wait for the correct moon phase or weather pattern and slip in there in the morning before he comes back to bed.
On really hot days the buck may move to water before food if the water is close enough for him to feel safe...

The areas like the one you pointed out that have bedding for multiple beds are going to likely be the primary bedding areas because the buck can easily change beds by walking 50 yards if the wind changes while he is bedded.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 am

Thanks Dan, I have an idea...

Here are some birds eye views (use BING MAPS) of the swamp area in the fall/winter timeframe. I should have posted these before. Thanks again and can not wait to start hunting bucks.

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”