Is passing on your hunting tradition important to you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Is passing on your hunting tradition important to you?

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 am

I originally posted this in the "Hunting Journal" section of the website, but thought I would bring it up here as well to get your thoughts:

I have my hunting career in its entirety in a couple leather bound journals that are pretty awesome, complete with photos & stories about the hunt. Here's a pic of what I use:

You can check them out here: http://shop.hunterhillsjournal.com/category.sc;jsessionid=B77D8E294FA7553C658789634B688E17.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=4.

My ultimate goal is to have my entire hunting career documented in these journals and eventually return to the exact spot that I killed every animal and get the GPS coordinates if I don't already have them. I want to have them listed with the kill and hopefully leave something that my children, grandchildren, great-children, etc. will cherish. They can read the stories of their great-grandpa that loved hunting, venture out into the woods to the exact spot that he killed something they read about and who knows, maybe they will even hunt in that spot using a gun I handed down to them or wearing a knife that I used to gut an animal. I know I wish one of my kin would have left something like that for me. :D

A buddy of mine has an old black & white photo of his great-grandfather fishing with an old bamboo fly-rod. He still has the fly-rod displayed in his bar room but it's too old now to actually use on the stream. Still neat though.

Do you have plans to leave a legacy for your future generations? Has someone left something for you? Let's hear stories. 8-)
Last edited by xpauliber on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

gogebicbuckslayer

Re: Is passing on your hunting tradition important to you?

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 am

That's a great idea

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 am

People thought I was "weird" when I started making my hunting scrapbooks back in 2004, which just happened to be my first year of bwohunting when I was 16. Basically I write down the hunts that were succesful, put in trail cam pics, kill shots etc from my entire hunting group or family incl close friends. Its amazing how much my family appreciates these hunting scrapbooks now, especially initially thinking I was weird for doing it.

When it comes to rifle hunting. I have documented the past 4 seasons in as much detail as I could recall. I would have many pages of input just for one day. I would make sure to record the temps that day, whether it was raining or sunny, hours spent on stand, number of deer seen/ killed, how the neihgbors did etc. The fun part is looking back at the past 4 years and seeing the greatest low we have seen in many years for deer numbers, to last year which was the best season for seeing deer numbers in the last 6 or 7 years. Its fun to figure out ratios as well with the data I have received.

I can tell you one thing for sure if you decided to do this. You will learn more about hunting by observing the past hunts you have been on. I have also realized I thought I remembered the whole hunt in my mind but looked back and found things I completely forgot about that happened just 3 years ago. I dont think I ever would have remembered these things if I had not written them in detail the day they occured.

Great post.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:People thought I was "weird" when I started making my hunting scrapbooks back in 2004, which just happened to be my first year of bwohunting when I was 16. Basically I write down the hunts that were succesful, put in trail cam pics, kill shots etc from my entire hunting group or family incl close friends. Its amazing how much my family appreciates these hunting scrapbooks now, especially initially thinking I was weird for doing it.

When it comes to rifle hunting. I have documented the past 4 seasons in as much detail as I could recall. I would have many pages of input just for one day. I would make sure to record the temps that day, whether it was raining or sunny, hours spent on stand, number of deer seen/ killed, how the neihgbors did etc. The fun part is looking back at the past 4 years and seeing the greatest low we have seen in many years for deer numbers, to last year which was the best season for seeing deer numbers in the last 6 or 7 years. Its fun to figure out ratios as well with the data I have received.

I can tell you one thing for sure if you decided to do this. You will learn more about hunting by observing the past hunts you have been on. I have also realized I thought I remembered the whole hunt in my mind but looked back and found things I completely forgot about that happened just 3 years ago. I dont think I ever would have remembered these things if I had not written them in detail the day they occured.

Great post.

This is my experience exactly!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:35 am

I have detailed logs starting back in 1994 and really enjoy going back to read them. Really brings back memories of some very cool hunts for me.

Some day when I am old and my mind is gone this will be all I have to remember those days. 8-)

I hope when I am gone somebody will get some enjoyment reading them.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 am

yes i keep logs..i have three note books and i use excell on the computer .....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 am

BigHunt wrote:yes i keep logs..i have three note books and i use excell on the computer .....

Hey Bighunt! Its been a while!

Just wondering what you use excel for?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 am

Absolutely, @ least the picture aspect and some of the good hunts are documented sporadically.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 am

xpauliber wrote:I originally posted this in the "Hunting Journal" section of the website, but thought I would bring it up here as well to get your thoughts:

I have my hunting career in its entirety in a couple leather bound journals that are pretty awesome, complete with photos & stories about the hunt. Here's a pic of what I use:

You can check them out here: http://shop.hunterhillsjournal.com/category.sc;jsessionid=B77D8E294FA7553C658789634B688E17.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=4.

My ultimate goal is to have my entire hunting career documented in these journals and eventually return to the exact spot that I killed every animal and get the GPS coordinates if I don't already have them. I want to have them listed with the kill and hopefully leave something that my children, grandchildren, great-children, etc. will cherish. They can read the stories of their great-grandpa that loved hunting, venture out into the woods to the exact spot that he killed something they read about and who knows, maybe they will even hunt in that spot using a gun I handed down to them or wearing a knife that I used to gut an animal. I know I wish one of my kin would have left something like that for me. :D

A buddy of mine has an old black & white photo of his great-grandfather fishing with an old bamboo fly-rod. He still has the fly-rod displayed in his bar room but it's too old now to actually use on the stream. Still neat though.

Do you have plans to leave a legacy for your future generations? Has someone left something for you? Let's hear stories. 8-)

very cool
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Absolutely, @ least the picture aspect and some of the good hunts are documented sporadically.

Cmon Ed. ALL hunts are good hunts. It's just sometimes, we get lucky and kill something. :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
BigHunt wrote:yes i keep logs..i have three note books and i use excell on the computer .....

Hey Bighunt! Its been a while!

Just wondering what you use excel for?

i keep track of the time date, sightings, doe, buck, moon phase , weather, wind direction .......ECT then i can look back and look ..i like to keep multiple records
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 am

Most of my stuff is in my memory banks. I really have no interest in passing on my hunting experiences or journals. In reality, no one is much interested except close relatives.

I don't mind passing on some information/experiences now, but when I'm gone not many will be interested, I sure won't be.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 am

I have a photo album with pictures from every season, fishing and hunting, kill or no kill. I have every single license and back tag for every year since my first one at 14. I've kept permission letters and permit applications in there as well. I started the same albums for my kids. I've kept every regulations guide as well.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 am

Chris Conroy wrote:I have a photo album with pictures from every season, fishing and hunting, kill or no kill. [glow=red]I have every single license and back tag for every year since my first one at 14. I've kept permission letters and permit applications in there as well. I started the same albums for my kids. I've kept every regulations guide as well.[/glow]

:lol: i do this exact same thing!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 am

Stanley wrote:Most of my stuff is in my memory banks. I really have no interest in passing on my hunting experiences or journals. In reality, no one is much interested except close relatives.

I don't mind passing on some information/experiences now, but when I'm gone not many will be interested, I sure won't be.

I'd be interested in reading about your hunting career Stanley. A guy getting it done year in and year out with archery gear knows more than your average arrow slinger.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”