Is passing on your hunting tradition important to you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: Is passing on your hunting tradition important to you?

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:49 am

Most all of my "outdoor" (hunting and fishing) pictures taken between 1975 and 1990 were lost. So that leaves a pretty sizable vacuum in things. I've got a fair amount of pictures accumulated since then, but no journals.

My sons aren't big on hunting, but they like to fish occasionally. I've always included them if they wanted to go. Maybe someday they will decide to hunt more, but I doubt it.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 am

xpauliber wrote:
Stanley wrote:Most of my stuff is in my memory banks. I really have no interest in passing on my hunting experiences or journals. In reality, no one is much interested except close relatives.

I don't mind passing on some information/experiences now, but when I'm gone not many will be interested, I sure won't be.

I'd be interested in reading about your hunting career Stanley. A guy getting it done year in and year out with archery gear knows more than your average arrow slinger.

X2 I would love to hear it Stan.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am

I have an online photo album with most of my kills and hunting photos in it. Even one when I was about 5 next to a buck my father had just taken. Good stuff.

I just started this year documenting every hunt. And preseason as well. It has already taught me a couple new things....and places to be and hunt during the right weeks of season. I write down deer travel patterns and highlight areas that i think will be good. It looks kind of like a football playlist with alotta words. 62 hunts worth of info. With the scouting tips from the beast, i should be able to optimize my learning curve. Still so much to learn.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am

It is pretty important to me....I keep an excel hunting log and every single hunt is in it. For every hunt besides documenting what I saw and the conditions so I can look at them later, I write a couple sentences at least about how the hunt went. When I have a great hunt, not just a kill but a lot of other great hunts too, I write a full story about it...I am not much of a writer but it is fun reading about hunts from a few years ago. I am up to 51 pages with that now :o Hopefully my kids someday will find it interesting.

I would encourage everyone to document their greatest hunting memories in some way...believe me, someone always will want to read it//hear about it/see the photos and time only makes memories dimmer. I love hearing about other peoples old hunting stories.

Hunting photos - I probably have 50 gig of hunting photos (i.e. a LOT) I have taken over the years including trail cam pics. Before I got a digital camera I used a film camera all through my teens...I have 3 or 4 shoe boxes of those photos.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm

xpauliber wrote:
Stanley wrote:Most of my stuff is in my memory banks. I really have no interest in passing on my hunting experiences or journals. In reality, no one is much interested except close relatives.

I don't mind passing on some information/experiences now, but when I'm gone not many will be interested, I sure won't be.

I'd be interested in reading about your hunting career Stanley. A guy getting it done year in and year out with archery gear knows more than your average arrow slinger.

X2

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Don't underestimate the value of your hunting experiences Stanley. My grandpa passed away last summer and the stuff he left behind for me from his hunting days are the most treasured thing I have and I really feel good looking over everything while thinking about my childhood memories while hunting with him. It's really great to have that connection.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 am

Poo-Poo to that Stanley!
I have an official tine from IA to prove it... ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:49 am

Most of my hunting and fishing journals and pictures have been destroyed by ex-wives in huge bonfires and the like...

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:21 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Most of my hunting and fishing journals and pictures have been destroyed by ex-wives in huge bonfires and the like...

That sucks SB! :doh:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 am

I used to keep very detailed records, have gotten away from it as of late.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:54 am

I have a shack where we have good hunting and fishing. We also go there to have campfires and goof off on 4 wheelers. When we go there we write the date, who was there... what we did/caught/shot, into a notebook. Many different people have written in it... it's really fun to read.

When we first started we made a list in the back of different projects we wanted to do... buy a tractor, build a pole building...many of the projects didn't happen for years. We still want a well, sauna,... etc

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I have a shack where we have good hunting and fishing. We also go there to have campfires and goof off on 4 wheelers. When we go there we write the date, who was there... what we did/caught/shot, into a notebook. Many different people have written in it... it's really fun to read.

When we first started we made a list in the back of different projects we wanted to do... buy a tractor, build a pole building...many of the projects didn't happen for years. We still want a well, sauna,... etc

I ain't touching that one...! :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”