text messaging trail cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

text messaging trail cameras

Unread postby NBK438 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:08 pm

I remember Dan posting about the new age of trail cameras a while back. The link on the home page caught my attention and I started looking into the wireless text messaging ones. After a couple hours of looking I think my dad and I are gonna pull the trigger on the black flash infared model for our place up north. Has anyone used any of these? Its a big investment but will save me big time on gas and its really convenient.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: text messaging trail cameras

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:40 pm

If you do it keep us posted. Love to see guys try new stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I have the different HCO cameras from the link you mentioned... Loving the "panda"... Have not really given it a good test with deer yet, but will soon. Been using it lately for security at my home.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:32 am

The panda was another one I was looking at. From what I read, the only downfall is the battery life. What's the battery life on the panda like, dan? If I get one ill keep ya posted, stan.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:58 am

I kind of hate things to get too advanced with cameras, such as viewing and controlling from home etc. I think it could lead to stricter laws for their use etc. The "fair chase" argument will come into play with too advanced technology.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 am

I agree with that, technology is what's wrong with America.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:36 am

NBK438 wrote:The panda was another one I was looking at. From what I read, the only downfall is the battery life. What's the battery life on the panda like, dan? If I get one ill keep ya posted, stan.

The batteries will die pretty quick if you put it over a pile of corn... But they last pretty good if your trail watching... Lots of pic's = lots of battery use. If you go to the post about HCO cameras in the trail cam forum I think there is some specifics on batteries per picture ratio.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:48 am

keb wrote:I agree with that, technology is what's wrong with America.

Not everyone advances with technology or has to. Some religious groups still use horses to break ground, have no electricity or indoor plumbing. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 am

I hear ya, but where's the line is more of what I'm saying, I mean I see the benefits of some of it, but just not for me.

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I wouldn't mind trying one out. I don't know if they use Verizon.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 am

I embrace technology. That's good because hunting has differing meanings to different people.

My time is expensive. [glow=red]My free time is darn near priceless.[/glow] My free time spent with family/friends? I'd do things a man would do when his back is against the wall to ensure that time is there. Career, kids, house, family, etc. I had to give up other hobbies to just get enough time to hunt the way I want to (year-round approach). Quite frankly, the time wasn't there to do that and other things I enjoy (fishing, trapping, cars, travel, sporting events).

MMS cams for me equal costs savings and time savings. Case in point: I have a small lease about 1 hour drive one way. This lease is a good spot for mature bucks and was initially leased to lock down land so I can hunt a few times a year with my FIL, who is getting up there in years and lives nearby. The proverbial clock is ticking as to the time when he tells me to "go on without him." I'm going to do what I can to delay that day.

It costs me approximately $25-$30 in gas round trip to get to the lease. Not including mileage/wear/tear on the truck, nor the cost of my time. With the MMS cam, I do not need to make trips just to swap out cards in spring/summer and heading into fall. I can't reasonably teleport myself there to glass. Ultimately, the cam represents savings equivalent to the added cost of the cam and when you add in time saved driving an hour each way, it's a no-brainer.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Good response Phade, I am with you when it comes to our free time being priceless. We gotta do what it takes to utilize our time wisely amongst family, hunting, career, friends etc.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 am

I would absolutely love to own a few! My best piece of ground is almost 3 hrs away. I don't have anytime during the summer to scout down there with kids/work/baseball, so I set the cams in June...go back in Aug to check them once and then go hunt in mid Sept. To have a few of these cams on this ground would be great.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”