Potential beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Potential beds?

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 am

Today i walked a transition line in a swamp ive never been in before. Im new to bed hunting and i know its difficult to determine during the winter with snow on but i snapped a couple pics of spots that jumped out and then marked them with a blue dot on an aerial. I may be way off. Just looking for your thoughts, tips, etc. practice makes perfect. In this first spot there was no real reason other than when i saw this funky tree on high ground on the transition line it just made me think "thats where i'd be". There was one low rub i found ab 20 yds to the west Image Image Image this next spot was also higher ground and had some branches broke and rubbed next to this pine sappling, there was another rub 20yds away and then A couple more every 10-20yds in a straight line heading toward the creek (ssw)Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Potential beds?

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 am

I am fairly confidant the top one is a buck bed... Not sure on the bottom one.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:23 am

dan wrote:I am fairly confidant the top one is a buck bed... Not sure on the bottom one.
dan can i ask what leads you to think that about the first pic? Is it because of how concealed the tree makes the "bed" or is it the fact that its on transition line or what leads you to think this and how would you setup on it?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 am

admiral04 wrote:
dan wrote:I am fairly confidant the top one is a buck bed... Not sure on the bottom one.
dan can i ask what leads you to think that about the first pic? Is it because of how concealed the tree makes the "bed" or is it the fact that its on transition line or what leads you to think this and how would you setup on it?

Your aerial is the 1st clue... The dot you marked is exactly where I would expect a bed in that picture.
Once you know a bed "should" be there, you look for a big tree, or a hinge tree, or other feature to create a bed... I would of gravitated right to that big tree.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am

Agreed.

Check them after melt and let us know what you find.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Agreed.

Check them after melt and let us know what you find.
most definately will, though, i still dont know i will be able to tell or not. Will i mainly be checking for hair?

admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm

dan wrote:
admiral04 wrote:

Your aerial is the 1st clue... The dot you marked is exactly where I would expect a bed in that picture.
Once you know a bed "should" be there, you look for a big tree, or a hinge tree, or other feature to create a bed... I would of gravitated right to that big tree.
i follow ya, how would you setup on this if it were a bed? Is wind a variable in this situation? I assume a buck would lay with his back toward the water watching west?

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 pm

I think he would want to watch East and he would want his scent blowing across the river so it will give him time to escape if he is winded. And if anything comes from upwind he will likely smell them and also be able to escape across the river if need be.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:30 pm

i follow ya, how would you setup on this if it were a bed? Is wind a variable in this situation? I assume a buck would lay with his back toward the water watching west?

I am thinking he is sitting there with a west wind at his back facing the river, smelling the woods. If he is bedding there on an East wind, there would be a second bed there facing the woods on the other side of the tree.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 pm

As far as set up goes, take a look at the deer sign coming and going from the bed... Figure out which direction he is most likely going based on that sign. Look in that direction from in the bed(s) and figure out exactly how close you can get without being seen, smelt, or heard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”